Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Repairs AHH

1225 11
Well, I found out from mercedes today that I pretty much doubled the cost of my car. No exact numbers yet. They have found a lot of stuff they need to fix. I need a new coolant pump, radiator repair, complete replacment of front-end suspension, glow plug replacement, and a lot more that I can't remember off the top of my head. They also need about 2 hrs of labor to diagnose the sunroof, they are hoping it will be done by friday. Not too hapy about the cost of repairs... BUT she will be running a LOT nicer and this will keep the car running longer. :)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well...

I bought the car used over 6 months ago. I have been wanting to take it to mercedes because I really had no idea what the car needed. Once it started leaking coolant like it was taking a leak after a long night of drinking I knew it was time to take it in. I am willing to pay the price they are charging me. It's going to be close to or over 2000 bucks. But, now that I know what's fine, what's been fixed, and what will go in time, I can now diagnose and anticipate things myself. The tech at the dealer near me has been workin with mercedes for at least 20 years I could tell, because he really knew my car and what to look for. From now on, if I can avoid it, I will go other places for repairs and maintenance. I just feel more comfortable with a mercedes service center taking care of it, despite the obscene prices.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Well...

NATE-YOU ARE NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br> dON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br> At the MOST get them to replace your water pump (probably don't need it). The front end replacement is a LIE!! go to the nearest garage and ask a guy who does front end alignment to look at it first. Because my merc mech realized that a) I know the price of parts, b) know something about cars, the prices magically went down. The I just got idler arm bushing fixed for $40, and he told me the front is slightly lose, but I don't need anything else, not even struts (car has 137,000 miles). he said it's normal. glow plugs are the same as sparkplugs (you replaced these , right??). glow plugs cost you $8 a piece and 1/2 of your time (dealer will charge you up to $80/hour). <br> At least do it in increments (the most pressing stuff first) and try to do most of it yourself (I WILL replace bushings and struts in front by the end of this year-by myself for a total of $500).<br> Also, go to a registered mercedes shop-guaranteed it will be cheaper)

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

i agree with piotr. try to do it yourself. what you are saying you could sell the car, using the money that you have now got, add the money that you have said that you were gonna use for the repairs, you could get a better model 190. think! just follow what piotr said.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It's too late. I don't feel I am near qualified to do steering and suspension replacements on my car. I will have it back on monday, the sunroof repair is what's taking the longest. Nice thing is, my father was nice enough to pay for this for me. :) We both know now what will need done and can go to the local garage. I wanted to take it to mercedes because I had NO clue what all it needed. We're happy it's being fixed and the men are qualified to do so. But from now on I'm not going to merc to get work unless absolutely neccessary.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

They're really not as qualified as you think. I don't know where in Ohio you are, but I know several repair shops in the state that are more qualified to work on your car than any dealer. That may not be true for new Mercedes, but it certainly is for yours. And we won't even get into the difference in labor rate and parts prices.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The dealer I went to is Crown Euro Cars Inc. The guy that worked on my car has been workin on these things forever. But, what's done is done. I don't know of any other mercedes certified service centers around here though. At least not ones that do work for the whole entire car.

· Registered
1985 190E 2.3
37 Posts
Taking your benz to the dealer for repairs is palin stupid. They will charge you rates ...

Taking your benz to the dealer for repairs is palin stupid. They will charge you rates from another world and they still won't do a good job. I know a mech who helps me with my car if I need help. I simply go to him ask him about what i need to do, he tells me all the tricks and work arounds and then I take care of the problem myself. I'm no pro either but one thing I know is that an 85 190E is a lot eaiser to work on then any of them american cars :)

· Registered
60 Posts
Tricks and work arounds still do not truly fix the car. They just either delay the proble...

Tricks and work arounds still do not truly fix the car. They just either delay the problem, or make the problem a bigger problem. I'd rather FIX my car than rig it. My dealer here is really good. The do great work, and are honest about it. The techs will talk to you on the phone if you have a simple question without charge, free tech support! The labor rate is like 75 an hour. I take it to them for MB specific work (engine, transmission, pretty much anything under the hood). Everything else goes to the local shop (brakes, tires, exhaust, alighnment, etc).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.