Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
"Would you consider offering a harness rebuild service?" It wouldn't be a bad idea, but for now, I will stick with my day job, plus I live in Brazil, a little too far ! LOL.
In reference to your questions, I used 3 different guages of wire 14,16,18, the original harness uses these sizes and a 12 gauge for one of the grounds, I didn't touch the MAF sensor wire and a couple others, for they were in good shape, the critical ones are the ones that ride next to the engine block, like injectors, coil, etc.. there are a few connectors that you can open and solder the new wire at the terminal. There is one sensor that uses 8 wires,I beleive it's the idle speed sensor, I had to cut it open with a Dremel tool, in order to get REAL close to the terminals, the shielding on these wires were cracked all the way to the connector, after the repair, I rapped the wires with a special rubber tape, to build some volume, so that the clip that holds the connector to the sensor could grab.
One of the difficulties I had, was in disassembling the harness at a junction box located on the left fender (picture below), DO NOT force it ! it comes a part easily, once you figure it out.
I bought all the wires, shrink tubing, special tapes from one source http://www.waytekwire.com/

TK, Ed

·
Registered
1986 190e 2.3-16 (W201), 1997 SL320 Panoramic Glass Top (R129) & 2009 C300 Panoramic Top (W204)
739 Posts
Does anyone know a good source of supply for the harness other than the dealer? I just took off my transmission harness, damm it was bad! I dont know how the darn thing even worked. I couldnt leave it as it was so I pulled it out and my local stealer wants $175.00 plus tax.

Please advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bad wiring harness

mbusa.com told me to take my car to the dealor to have it inspected and they might help pay for the repair. I knew it was the harness but wanted to know if any other parts were damaged. After inspection of my very low miles, immaculate condition(you can eat off the engine) C280, they said they cant check for any other parts failure until the harness is replaced. Is this true? Well mbusa denied the claim which I kinda expected, but waisted the 120.00 for diaognoses. I want to know how to order the one in thailand for 400.00 new. HELP please:confused: ...Surfma

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
Just be careful with the replacement harness. I am told by my (usually) reputable parts guy that MB went through a couple of vendors before they were satisfied with the quality of the harnesses. FWIW, I looked at mine (going on next week) and it is manufactured in Poland...

·
Registered
1996 Silver C36
543 Posts
Edumen,

Thanks for sharing your research and information!

I've got a bad wire (or connecter) to the crankshaft angle sensor (the engine cuts when I pull on this wire). This wire seems to be solid molded plastic insulation encapsulating the two(?) center wires. The connecter also seems to be molded and unable to be opened to be re-wired.

How did you tackle this task?

·
Registered
13 Posts
worst nightmar

bought a c280 from my a private owner and after 1 week car wont go over 30 mph so take it to the dealership and find wire harneis is bad so i finally bought one brand new for 950 dollers and i have the mreceds guy come to my house and c hange it and the car wont even start no more it cranks everythign works but it cuts out when ur cranking it even with the automatic car stared.. it just cuts out when ur cranking so i took it to the mb dealership and its been abot 2 weeks with no info on what couid be the problem. what do u guys think couid be the problem its a 1995 c280 with onle 95000 miles .... ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If it doesn't even fire-up, could be the the crankshaft sensor, have you already checked the fuel pump ? if not, begin here. Ed

·
Registered
360TE AMG; 500E
112 Posts
peko737 said:
bought a c280 from my a private owner and after 1 week car wont go over 30 mph so take it to the dealership and find wire harneis is bad so i finally bought one brand new for 950 dollers and i have the mreceds guy come to my house and c hange it and the car wont even start no more it cranks everythign works but it cuts out when ur cranking it even with the automatic car stared.. it just cuts out when ur cranking so i took it to the mb dealership and its been abot 2 weeks with no info on what couid be the problem. what do u guys think couid be the problem its a 1995 c280 with onle 95000 miles .... ?
1995 C280 usually have wiring harnesses in the $500-600 range . . .

Are you sure you got the right harness installed ? What's the pn#, and what's the engine serial number (Fxxxxxx) ?

:) neil

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Actually I bet you probably could replace the harness successfully. Fixing the harness on the other hand, does require a bit of skill.

·
Registered
1 Posts
n0alpha said:
As requested by several people, here's a short DIY to repair your engine wiring harness so you don't have to spend $800-$1500 to replace it.

Take the cover off where you would replace the spark plugs to see the three wires (on a C280) that lead to the 3 coils. These wires are 12V DC, and are the most common failure points.

Picture 1 is a view of the part of the harness on my car that failed. Carefully cut off the outside insulation of the harness between the plug and where the harness enters a rubber section.

Picture 2 is a view of the harness after I removed the outside insulation. The picture is kind of fuzzy, but you can see the green corrosion on the wires and how there is no insulation around them...this is bad!

Picture 3 shows how I separated the wires and wrapped electrical tape around them, and then wapped more tape around both wires to hold them together. Be very careful to separate the wires entirely, especially in the plug and in the rubber housing.

Connect everything back up, making sure to have the air tube that crosses over the engine back in place, and then start her up. She should fire on all cylinders now, but if she doesn't then just jiggle the two wires around a bit hear the plug and rubber until it works.

Last step, to reset the Check Engine Light, turn the engine off and pull fuse number 32 in the fuse box on the driver's side of the car (LHD cars), and leave it out for about 30 seconds. Replace the fuse, turn the car on, and the Check Engine Light should be off.

Good luck!
can u please help me ive got a 94 built c220 that when i start it goes to stall and the engine is hunting revs up and down and get a noise from internally its hard to explain then u drive down the road maybe 5 mins and its running pefect but then if u turn the car off for 1 minute and try and drive off again it does the same thing again any ideas!!! i really need ure help

·
Registered
'01 ML-430/'96 C220/'05 Lexus RX330
199 Posts
Anyone willing to share the name of a company or aftermarket retailer who sells 96- C220 replacement wiring harnesses? My local mechanic has determined that to be at least part of my no-idle and poor running problem. MB wants $1080 for the harness (wow 30 feet of wire) What a freaking rip off. I told him I'd sell it to the scrap metal junkyard in town before I'd pay them that for their own defective product. Is there a website for the NTSA where we could all write complaints about this ripoff? I bet MB did this on purpose knowing they could sell $1080 wiring harnesses a few years down the road. Grrr. Makes me really mad. Anyway, would love to know anywhere to buy a replacement if someone has knowledge. Thanks!

·
Registered
1995 C220 102k
588 Posts
Anyone interested in a harness re-build service? I have been doing automotive electrical for the last 16 years, and I am a 1st class certified MECP technician.

I have all the supplies to do this, and i ONLY use solder and heat shrink tubing, NO CRIMP CONNECTORS!!!

Would $300 per harness and about a week turn-around time be decent?

What do you guys think, im just trying to help....

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
doin12volt said:
Anyone interested in a harness re-build service? I have been doing automotive electrical for the last 16 years, and I am a 1st class certified MECP technician.

I have all the supplies to do this, and i ONLY use solder and heat shrink tubing, NO CRIMP CONNECTORS!!!

Would $300 per harness and about a week turn-around time be decent?

What do you guys think, im just trying to help....
The biggest thing would be making sure you use high temperature rated materials, but if your work is clean, you use good materials, and offer some sort of warranty on workmanship, I think $300 would be a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1995 C220 102k
588 Posts
Yes, I use STRICTLY Automotive grade wiring,(resistant to oil/gas/high temparatures) - and a warranty would be no problem, i offer a lifetime warranty on all of my work...Thats why i wont use those crimp connectors- they can and WILL go bad. I exclusively SOLDER everything. If anyone needs this service, just remove your harness from the engine compartment and PM me for an address....

·
Registered
41 Posts
1997 C280 140,000 miles. I bought the car from a dealer used. Is there a way to tell if the wire harness has already been replaced? The car runs like a top and I am just waiting for this harness to go bad.

·
Registered
1995 C220
20 Posts
I am confused regarding the wiring harness. Below is a link I found which sells the wiring harness for only $52.00. I am not sure this is the right one that you guys are discussing. Please advise.

Select Product

Thanks

·
Registered
1996 Silver C36
543 Posts
No.

Yes, that is "a wiring harness". But that one is for the wiring to the fuel tank to indicate the fuel level.

Take a look at the link below for engine wiring harness part numbers:

Êàòàëîã

·
Registered
1996 C220
3 Posts
NEED MY ENGINE INJECTION WIRING HARNESS REPLACED

I took my 1996 C220 into the dealer to have it serviced and see what was causing the "Check Engine" light to glow orange and it came back that I need a new Engine Injection Wire Harness, Engine Wire Harness, Engine Harness, (I have seen the same thing referred to with many different, similar, names). My service advisor tells me that to have it replaced I would be lookining at a total of about $2200, (parts, labor, and taxes).

Is this too much for this? I have seen others say it cost them only around $1000.
What would be my best bet, buy the part from the dealer and have another mechanic install it? Just have it done at my dealer, possibly ask another nearby dealer? I really am at a loss here.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
gordonese said:
I took my 1996 C220 into the dealer to have it serviced and see what was causing the "Check Engine" light to glow orange and it came back that I need a new Engine Injection Wire Harness, Engine Wire Harness, Engine Harness, (I have seen the same thing referred to with many different, similar, names). My service advisor tells me that to have it replaced I would be lookining at a total of about $2200, (parts, labor, and taxes).

Is this too much for this? I have seen others say it cost them only around $1000.
What would be my best bet, buy the part from the dealer and have another mechanic install it? Just have it done at my dealer, possibly ask another nearby dealer? I really am at a loss here.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
YES! that is waay too much. it's proven time and again that the dealership charges too much and takes too much time. find you a reputable indy MB mechanic that cares about what they do and who know their stuff about MB. with reasonable prices.

good luck. :thumbsup:

21 - 40 of 253 Posts