Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S320 LWB
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the shop today for oil change. I was told the car needed upper and lower control arm bushings and the flex disk for the transmission as they are cracked. I cant believe that a car w/only 68k miles would need that but it does. Found the parts on ebay for cheap. How hard is it to do this repair on my own?. Shop wants $1400 and that to me is way too much.

·
Registered
2009 S550 4Matic,1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL, 1999 S500
474 Posts
If you have been working on cars for a while you probably have most of the tools. A good spring compressor is a must, though, and can be bought on Ebay for about $200. It looks like two metal dishes with a large rod up the middle. A hydraulic press is also a good idea--Harbour Freight $200?? Most of the job is just standard fare--removing the breaks, tie rods, etc. The upper control arm is replaced as a unit and requires no special tools and should take about 30 minutes. Jack up the car by placing the jack under the lower control arm to keep pressure on the spring and the rest is easy. To replace the lowers you need to remove the springs. There are two large bolts through the two lower bushings. There are eccentric washers on them which are turned to perform allignments. Before you losen them take some sharp instrument or cutoff wheel and mark their position relative to the frame--scratch a line. This way you most likely won't need an allignment afterwords. The rear bushings, which are hydraulic, must be inserted with the proper orientation. They have wide and narrow tits on the rubber at one end. Pay attention to the orientation on the old ones before you remove them. AlData can also provide the info if you have a subscription. Also be careful pressing in the hydraulic ones. Do not just press them via the center aluminum piece. I believe this can damage them. They should be pressed with a piece of tube/pipe with a diameter closely matching the outer diameter of the bushing. The old ones can be a pain to remove but a sawzall down the middle cutting through the outer layer of aluminum or a press will work.

·
Registered
1997 S320 LWB
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have tools but not a hydraulic press or spring compressors as I dont really do suspensions. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and pay to get this done. The other thing is that I dont want to do anything that would mess the car up and end up costing more money. Thanks for the breakdown of what is involved, I appreciate it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts