Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995 MB S500 Sedan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger-side mirror has a broken lower bracket. It's the aluminum or magnesium thin frame piece that holds the mirror to the door and pivots when moving the mirror housing in or out. I've tried to repair it with J.B. Weld several times, but ultimately the glue keeps breaking at the joint. I'm wondering if anyone has tried a repair that works better than this. Maybe tack-welding the broken joint? It cost me $600 last fall to have the driver side one replaced at the dealer. I have sourced a new one online but it's about $400 for the mirror housing alone.
The brackets seem like a crappy design...way too thin and fragile for the application. Thanks for any guidance.

Mike [:(]

·
Registered
1998 S420
8 Posts
My first post on this fantastic forum.
Not sure if your bracket has the same break that I had on my mirror but on mine the bit that was broken was part of the bracket that couples with the gear assembly hence mirror not folding in or out as well as the whole mirror was flopping around. I managed to drill a small hole into the bracket assembly just below the broken bit. I then screwed in a small self tapping screw into the drilled hole just far enough for the end of the screw to locate & engage into the gear assembly which controls the mirror. The result was a perfectly working mirror.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts