Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
16,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, the wonders never cease.

While combing through the files looking for some better drain photos, I came across more photos of that gasket for the slot.
If I can find a photo of it, then Trev can usually find a part number for it.

The third photo shows what looks like a wider version, possibly with a corner molded in, so it has a horizontal and a vertical element. The second photo might show the same thing ?

I still don't think they are all that common, just based on the photos, but they are a real thing. In some cases, a solution can backfire. It the thing was installed to keep debris out (Good) but wound up keeping moisture in (Bad), then maybe it was only a thing for a few years ? I don't know, but if it was a great thing, then it would still be there on the UHN's, and I have not seen that...yet.

Drain holes found, but later for them.

Automotive tire Wood Gas Hand tool Auto part
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior
Wood Plant Grass Gas Hand tool
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Wood Machine
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Bumper Vehicle
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire
Vehicle Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Asphalt

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
3,052 Posts
My mog has some damping material in there - it is definitely OEM as it is formed to fit. No photos unfortunately. I suspect the foam would not help with rust :p

Reactions: TRUKTOR

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
16,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The drain holes - looking around, they are not all alike, which isn't a surprise. The simple thing to do is to dump the flow from a garden hose in there and have a look. The water can flow out any number of places along the bottom edge of the fender, which is a good thing (unless it is flowing through openings created by rusting out).

On mine, most of it comes out the front, just below the pin.

On the inside front of the fender, there is a gap (circled in blue) and this would come into play if you were exiting from submerging the front end. Otherwise, smaller amounts (the garden hose) come out the front under the pin, and possibly
at other points along the bottom edge.
The main thing is that you want the drains to be clear and open. Having a wet pile of crud hidden at a critical point on the front corner is not a good thing.
Wood Motor vehicle Engineering Automotive exterior Machine
Motor vehicle Wood Engineering Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system
Hood Umbrella Netbook Vehicle door Wood

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
16,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just another look at some damage from the Mission Impossible truck.
There is rust-through at the bottom of the fender, at a point where crud might gather and hold moisture in. If it was just water running in, then I think it would just drain out and evaporate.
When that part of the fender is cut out for the fiddly repair process, we get a look at the inside. The Beam looks clean and clear, in its original finish, until you get down to the bottom, pretty much right above where the fender blows out. I think that debris gathered in the pocket formed by the curve of the fender, stayed moist, and the hounds were let loose. The rust line might reflect the level of the debris in there.
Wild speculation, but that is what it looks like to me.

Wood Gas Machine Tints and shades Building material
Wood Wheel Gas Bumper Automotive exterior
Wheel Wood Tire Automotive tire Bumper
Hood Automotive exterior Rectangle Bumper Wood

21 - 25 of 25 Posts