Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AWESOME CAR.

Very solid, comfortable, awesome technology (same as the new S-Class)

LOVE the car, highly considering getting one in about a year and a half or so. The suspension also has sport or comfort mode, and is very tight and you feel very attached to the road... fun car to drive. Also loving the new look.

A+

Note: My 95 C-Class had fiberglass bumpers, the new ones are plastic (I think). I was a little disappointed in that but I figured that's what they've gotta use now for that particular design? I don't know how it all works, but it looks good and feels durable, not like most cars with plastic bumpers. Thats about the only thing I noticed as far as "quality" goes, other than that everything seems excellent. The metal is all very sturdy and thick, the hood closes with a very satisfying "clunk"... doors are nice, door panels are nice...

One other note, not exactly sure if they're using REAL wood or fake wood in this car, parts of it looked like it could be fake. Can anybody verify this?

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
i test drove 2007 C280 (has 3 litre) and also C230 Kompressor.....didnt realy like either of them, ( i thrashed the crap out of both...especialy the C230 as it was bit lazy) but what i didnt like most was the ride and the "flimsy-ness" feel of the car, too much plastic, and recycled aluminium...pretty much not enough trees and cows died to make it :D
Then i took 2006 E280 (facelifted) for drive and it was much better car, with beautiful birds eye maple wood and soft leather. mmmmmmm...and price is nearly the same.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
i test drove 2007 C280 (has 3 litre) and also C230 Kompressor.....didnt realy like either of them, ( i thrashed the crap out of both...especialy the C230 as it was bit lazy) but what i didnt like most was the ride and the "flimsy-ness" feel of the car, too much plastic, and recycled aluminium...pretty much not enough trees and cows died to make it :D
Then i took 2006 E280 (facelifted) for drive and it was much better car, with beautiful birds eye maple wood and soft leather. mmmmmmm...and price is nearly the same.
Have you seen the prices of some of the 2003-4/5 E500's? :eek: Talk about low.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
AWESOME CAR.

Very solid, comfortable, awesome technology (same as the new S-Class)

LOVE the car, highly considering getting one in about a year and a half or so. The suspension also has sport or comfort mode, and is very tight and you feel very attached to the road... fun car to drive. Also loving the new look.

A+

Note: My 95 C-Class had fiberglass bumpers, the new ones are plastic (I think). I was a little disappointed in that but I figured that's what they've gotta use now for that particular design? I don't know how it all works, but it looks good and feels durable, not like most cars with plastic bumpers. Thats about the only thing I noticed as far as "quality" goes, other than that everything seems excellent. The metal is all very sturdy and thick, the hood closes with a very satisfying "clunk"... doors are nice, door panels are nice...

One other note, not exactly sure if they're using REAL wood or fake wood in this car, parts of it looked like it could be fake. Can anybody verify this?
IMO plastic bumpers are a pretty good idea. Fiberglass isn't going to do any better in a major crash and with the plastic if someone backs into you with a towbar for example alot of the time it can be bent back with some ease relative to a fiberglass repair for the same thing.

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
yeh some are like $40 -45K ...awesome, ....not long at all just few more years of depreciation and then... muhahaha:D

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz S320 Long Wheelbase.
544 Posts
I really like the new C Class. Glad to hear it's such a satisfying car for a W140 owner. :)

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's really a different kind of car, but very satisfying in my opinion. I LOVE the suspension and handling, extremely grippy on the road and very fun to drive. I instantly felt my age again (21) instead of cruising around in what some would call an "old mans car" although I could care less, but I think you know what I mean... a smaller sportier car just makes you feel like you're having more fun. Honestly I'd want to keep my W140 but also buy a C300...

C300- Daily driver
W140- To take out on nice nights for dinner, etc, or basically when I felt like driving it.

I'm guessing they'd both get almost an equal amount of use.

Its just two different feelings, the C300 when you want to zip around and hug the corners and enjoy your drive, and the W140 when you want to seriously be noticed, and/or for highway driving when you want to cruise in peace and comfort.

And I agree about those E-Classes, they are ridiculously cheap for such a nice car, they did the new models in 2003 and those can be had for under 15k. Amazing deal. (From what I can tell, at least)

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz S320 Long Wheelbase.
544 Posts
I instantly felt my age again (21) instead of cruising around in what some would call an "old mans car" although I could care less, but I think you know what I mean... a smaller sportier car just makes you feel like you're having more fun.
I drove a '96 Z-28 last weekend, and that pretty much sums up my thoughts of it. It was totally FUN, and I feel a lot more like my age in that car, but
really it's like the total opposite of the S Class. It's juvenile, single minded and quite crude, but damn, what fun! I'd love to have both!

·
Registered
2000 C280, 2006 E350, 1993 400E, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1994 S500, 2008 E320 Bluetec
685 Posts
W204 C300 is a pig

I drove a new C300 loaner for a week and hated it.

1. The gas mileage on a normal work week commute was NO BETTER than a W140 S500
2. The C-class design blends in too much in traffic and people don't hesitate before changing lanes - they cut me off in the C-class.

Too much plastic, the suspension doesn't have nearly as much travel as any other MB model... I could go on and on.

Basically, I had a week. My verdict was to spend the $10k for a down payment on the W140 instead. I'm ahead as long as the W140 repairs don't exceed and avg. $500 monthly for the next 5 years! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts