Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to tell you all a little about the 3 most important upgrades I've performed on my beloved.

First off I decided to go with a custom renntech exaust. I went this route because of 2 main reasons: It's sound and performance. To best describe it without hearing it for yourself I would say it is slightly louder than an AMG but has the clean deep sound of the Remus. On the performance side I guess Bob Brady from renntech convinced me because their's is tailored to each car on an individual basis and is fine tuned for optimal performance. He's right, at least with mine that is....

Under the hood lies the secrets which tie it all together. Reprogramming the ECU and adding the K&N air filters. These are key upgrades. I've been reading just about everyones threads in here for some time now and on a few occations I've read that a few of you dont beleive in K&N air filters. Your kinda right in one sence. Alone, it wont do much if anything at all. But, ALL THREE upgades together work magic!!! By FINE TUNING the ECU with the exaust and filters in the car.... you get POWER... and lots of it! Timing is everything in that beast of a five liter we all have.

fuel + oxigen + spark + exaust = increased torque and power
*if all elevated corectly

I'll close with this:

Our SL's are luxurious vehicles and we all know it. But wouldnt it be great to have the best of both worlds: the pampering our SL's have spoiled us with and a new found power that has been hiding just underneith its thick skin.

I'm now getting a little over 350 ponies and the torque is just under 390. The throttle response is what realy impresses me the most. Just tap the pedal and I can hear her say "HEY!! Two hands on the wheel when you feel frisky ... or I'm leaving you here and going after that Porche."

Anyone out there looking for extra performance, save up. Dont go upgrade by upgrade discouraging yourself with minimal gains. Those guys at RENNtech are genious's. I'm so glad I did these mods down there before moving to Jersey.

Attachments

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
You just answered my earlier question.

I love your exhaust. My car is going in for a Kleeman supercharger. The installer claims 500 HP and 675 ft pounds of torque. I have had a great experience with Dinan supercharging my M3, and if I get an equivalent increase in the SL I will be very happy.

Dinan tunes the Vortech SC to about 7 pounds of boost, whereas the installer I am talking to does 11 pounds on the Kleeman.

I have to stick with CARB certified stuff.

·
Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,293 Posts
Very interesting upgrades.
The exhaust looks great. You had to make the exhuast hole in the bumper larger like I did. Right?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, but not myself. The guys over at renntech shaved it open a bit to give the tips some room to breathe I guess. Even from up close the opening appears stock and I am pleased with their work. Thank God I found a company that is as thorough as I am. I would'nt be able to sleep if there was a scratch on the inside of my bumpercover, just knowing its there would urk me to death.[:D]

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Benz4Dirty&sky, I was so close to doing that Kleeman supercharger. The only reason I didnt is the fact I knew I was moving back to Jersey from Florida. Theres no where to open her up up here. Man, I shoulda done it anyway. Let me know when its done and definately post some pics for the rest of us to enjoy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts