Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera coupe, 1989 BMW 325i, 2001 BMW R1150GS, [SOLD - 1991 Mercedes Benz 350 SDL]
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed most of the 124 series I have looked at here in the SF Bay area have drivers seats that are pretty worn out, flattened, and lacking good cushioning capabilities. Any idea how much it costs to rebuild a seat and where to get it done in the SF Bay area? Thanks.

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
You can still buy a new spring box and base pad from MB; the best way to go if you are going to keep the car for a little while. Most cars have the springbox substantially worn. You can also buy a heavy duty option from MB..........

·
Premium Member
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera coupe, 1989 BMW 325i, 2001 BMW R1150GS, [SOLD - 1991 Mercedes Benz 350 SDL]
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's your budget?
What's the price range? That is what am trying to determine. :)

I am still in the process of searching for a clean and well maintained 124 series and want to add a driver's seat refresh into the budget.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,756 Posts
A clean, well maintained example shouldn't have drivers seat issues. My drivers seat shows virtually no wear @ 193K miles. Then again, I place my butt in the seat first, then rotate my legs into the car. Never "sliding" down the outside bolster.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Very much depends on how heavy the driver's have been I think........

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
Fat man must have owned Dieter! only the seat area has a 4" split and weak left side. was thinking of making a bottom cushion ,that's all it needs,I have a fabric shop in town with all types of leather

·
Registered
1987 300E, 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2005 Silverado 4x4
963 Posts
Don't know if these are still available but MB offered side bolster support foam blocks for the bottom springbox, pn 124 910 16 75 to give the seats better side support. Also there's the Pool Noodle trick for a cheap quick fix. Personally, I'm in good shape, the original 20 year owner weighs maybe 99 pounds soaking wet, so my seats haven't had much wear.

·
Registered
"Gretchen" my 1986 300E 286000 km+ (RIP) August 2015
1,092 Posts
Don't know if these are still available but MB offered side bolster support foam blocks for the bottom springbox, pn 124 910 16 75 to give the seats better side support. Also there's the Pool Noodle trick for a cheap quick fix. Personally, I'm in good shape, the original 20 year owner weighs maybe 99 pounds soaking wet, so my seats haven't had much wear.
Besides the booster at a cost of $12.50 from dealer, they also have spring boosters conical in shape, I bought 4 of them on Ebay for $20.00 a few years back.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
I just bought 1998 E300DT with leather seat badly wear out by drivers bottoms.
Called dealer and OEM skin for the bottom is $750. Set of skins for front only $1700.
I found exact skins from passenger seats on ebay for $150, so I am good for now, but somebody thinks those seats are made out of gold.
In the past I had my motorhome seat reupholstered by a shop in Glendora. In Bay Area all shops I ask want big figures.
Called paintless dent removal and for 2" dent at the headlights he quoted me $400. From the guy who has no degree in law???????

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I just bought 1998 E300DT with leather seat badly wear out by drivers bottoms.
Called dealer and OEM skin for the bottom is $750. Set of skins for front only $1700.
I found exact skins from passenger seats on ebay for $150, so I am good for now, but somebody thinks those seats are made out of gold.
In the past I had my motorhome seat reupholstered by a shop in Glendora. In Bay Area all shops I ask want big figures.
Called paintless dent removal and for 2" dent at the headlights he quoted me $400. From the guy who has no degree in law???????
By skins do you mean the perforated leather seat cover, the bit you actually sit on. I have asked the Dealer here and the answer was they are NLA?? Can you confirm......

I am also lead to believe that if you buy the Sportline seat pad and Covers you can fit them to the seat frame and springbox of a non Sportline seat to turn them into Sportline seats. This is particularly handy for the two door tilt forward seats, they were never offered as a Sportline option - but if this information is true here is a way to make your own.
Would anybody mind doing a part number search on the non Sportline seat back metal frame and spring box, and compare them to Sportline ones, if the part numbers are they same I would bet the Sportline padding and covers would fit.

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
For a non-Sportline leather bottom cover they are available. That's what I was told yesterday.

I don't need new leather... it's about $3,000.00 US for the four covers for the front seats.

For the "foam" pad the Sportline and non-Sportline were different choices.

By skins do you mean the perforated leather seat cover, the bit you actually sit on. I have asked the Dealer here and the answer was they are NLA?? Can you confirm......

I am also lead to believe that if you buy the Sportline seat pad and Covers you can fit them to the seat frame and springbox of a non Sportline seat to turn them into Sportline seats. This is particularly handy for the two door tilt forward seats, they were never offered as a Sportline option - but if this information is true here is a way to make your own.
Would anybody mind doing a part number search on the non Sportline seat back metal frame and spring box, and compare them to Sportline ones, if the part numbers are they same I would bet the Sportline padding and covers would fit.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Gee that's good news, I didn't think new leather covers were still available, certainly here they arn't. Can you confirm they are avaiable for the seat back and seat base for driver and passenger - heated......

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Don't know about heated only non-heated.

Gee that's good news, I didn't think new leather covers were still available, certainly here they arn't. Can you confirm they are avaiable for the seat back and seat base for driver and passenger - heated......

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
FYI new seat bases (springs) are NLA (regular or reinforced) from the factory for the W124... there may be some out there at dealerships but you'd have to call each dealership to see and pricing is $297.00 each.

Also there are only 98 of these left in Germany (I bought 2 at $22.00, heh heh):

Once these run out you'll be SOL.

This is exactly why I'm doing this project now... before they run out of parts.

·
Registered
1988 300CE
27 Posts
seat materials

MACLAREN,CHABANIS,INSPECTOR,KAJTEK,et.al., Try GERMAN AUTO TOPS in North Hollywood , at 5547 Satsuma Ave., 91601. 866-760-8677. (same company on e-bay as QUALITYTOPSANDINTERIORS). Father & son owners. Father is John Oganesyan & Johns' cell # is 818-207-5670. John made factory 6 pleat diamond perforated seat sets (2 backs,2seats,2headrests, & armrest for 1988 300CE in "Brazil" for$750.00 U.S. shipping included (Feb.2012) Ask John for source materials etc. GOOD LUCK !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts