Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove my rear PTO shield since it gets in the way of the PTO drive shaft that powers my blower.

How do I get around doing that ?

I yanked on it to no avail. I don't want to have to cut that precious orange thing out.

Attachments

·
Registered
4Sale: 230G, U1200 Ag, 1017A, lots of MB cars, Volvo c303, 416 raildoka, LR D110 TDi
1,217 Posts
It should yank off of there like trev said, but sometimes you have to heat the rubber up with a heat gun around the center to allow it to flex enough to come off if it has not been removed in a long time.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AFAIK the back cup comes off first, then the other one should just be a good yank, at least my farm tractor's comes off like that...
What's that back cup you speak of ?

That orange shield is 2-part ?

The second pic is present time. First pic is from olden days.

·
Registered
4Sale: 230G, U1200 Ag, 1017A, lots of MB cars, Volvo c303, 416 raildoka, LR D110 TDi
1,217 Posts
Many times they have not been removed in the lifetime of the truck, those are a real bear to get off.

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,447 Posts
No need to hammer. Mine comes on and off easy as can be, but I do it frequently so there is no dried on film, hardened grease or rust rime. I'll try and get some photos, as I have all of my PTO's and thier parts out right now, but until then: on the body of the pillow block, there is a little metal lip that the end of the black thing pushes up and over. Getting it off is often a hassle because it is (should be) flexible rubber, but it is tapered and often greasy, so getting a good hold of the thing is tough.

By the way, one of mine was damaged in a past life, anyone have another one of these black things kicking around that they would be willing to part with? They are nice protection. A friend mistakenly shifted one of the PTO's on once, and there was some rope piled up in that area and we had a potentially scary mini-winch for a few moments. That could have been a hand or shirt tail, etc.

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
By the way, one of mine was damaged in a past life, anyone have another one of these black things kicking around that they would be willing to part with? They are nice protection. A friend mistakenly shifted one of the PTO's on once, and there was some rope piled up in that area and we had a potentially scary mini-winch for a few moments. That could have been a hand or shirt tail, etc.
they are €9 to about €15 each new in the EU, most that I have seen them on are 1"3/8 stubs, but the bigger 1"3/4 stubs you seldom see them fitted, so you would need to make sure you get the right size.

as for the orange PTO shield, mine is cut so its simple to put on and off just by pulling it apart to open the split given its gone very hard with age, however even with the cut mine has yet to fall off the front! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
so has your snow blower lost its virginity yet?

Its looking like we may have a good winter hear in the UK if you believe the scaremongers however the oldwives saying counter that e.g. “Ice in November to hold a duck nothing thereafter but slush and muck

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so has your snow blower lost its virginity yet?

Its looking like we may have a good winter hear in the UK if you believe the scaremongers however the oldwives saying counter that e.g. “Ice in November to hold a duck nothing thereafter but slush and muck

The blower still haven't been popped yet.

We got an inch of white gold last friday, forecasts say nothing for the next 7 days. My contracts specify that I don't get out before 3 inches on the ground.

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
Cool that you have some contracts :)

ware i live we have only 1" of snow but its been hear since last Friday, but in other parts of the UK mainland they have had up to 20" the past 4 days or so.

still I don’t mind, I am waiting for a cab for my mog that I am hoping that its hear by xmas so I will have something to do over xmas, then it can snow as much as it likes after that.

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool that you have some contracts :)
I think I have too many contracts now. I bid on a couple not expecting to win them but I won them all.

Some of these run I subcontrated to other guys, so I get management fees and finders fees.

Pretty good money too

It's gonna be a busy winter since I also have a "real" job.

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
they are €9 to about €15 each new in the EU, most that I have seen them on are 1"3/8 stubs, but the bigger 1"3/4 stubs you seldom see them fitted, so you would need to make sure you get the right size.

as for the orange PTO shield, mine is cut so its simple to put on and off just by pulling it apart to open the split given its gone very hard with age, however even with the cut mine has yet to fall off the front! :rolleyes:
Do you have any links to an online retailer in the UK or EU? I have only ever seen them pop up on Ebay.de for silly money. What size shafts would my U1000 have?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have any links to an online retailer in the UK or EU? I have only ever seen them pop up on Ebay.de for silly money. What size shafts would my U1000 have?
Thanks in advance!
1"3/8 would be a safe bet. Seems like it's a worldwide standard, but then again, with mogs, there is no standard :thumbsup:

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
I think I have too many contracts now. I bid on a couple not expecting to win them but I won them all.

Some of these run I subcontrated to other guys, so I get management fees and finders fees.

Pretty good money too

It's gonna be a busy winter since I also have a "real" job.
Well more contracts is good so long as you sub excess work out to others so the customer is always kept happy which is the key to successes, as happy customers will normally keep coming back.

However your first few days out you will be quite slow but once you get use to the machine you will naturally get much faster threw operation but you will also gain time in how you route to different job locations.

So are you going to get some magnetic signs made up for your mog with your contact/company details on, as you may as well make it possible for passing potential customers to be able to contact you or even a memorable simple/silly/self explanatory web address. :)

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So are you going to get some magnetic signs made up for your mog with your contact/company details on, as you may as well make it possible for passing potential customers to be able to contact you or even a memorable simple/silly/self explanatory web address. :)

The law allows me to operate unmarked so for now, I wont be putting my company name on the truck. Once I'm set for the summer business Ill see.

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
Thanks in advance!
you will have either 1"3/8 or 1"3/4, (its the outermost diameter)

from www.farmers-shop.de - unimog category

Unimog Zapfwellenschutzkappe - gebraucht guter Zustand - €8.50

Unimog Zapfwellenschutz - gebraucht guter Zustand - €15

from http://www.nutzfahrzeuge-kindermann.de/ see teileshop

Zapfwellen - Schutzkappe - €15.25

Zapfwellenschutz orange für vordere Zapfwelle €32.83

or ring up Arthur Ibbetts etc and get a price for a "A 404 551 00 26" which is the only black rubber thing listed for 424/425/427/435/437/etc and by the "404" part of the part number must be 1"3/8 rather than 1"3/4 at a guess

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts