Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you remove the gauge cluster does the steering wheel have to come out (which is a big pain!) or can I somehow remove it without touching the steering.

Im thinking of replacing all the bulbs in it with brighter ones or new stock ones.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
The wheel shouldn't have to come out.. As long as your telescoping wheel still works.

Taking the wheel out isn't tough at all.. Pop the emblem out and a 10mm Hex on a 1/2 inch breaker..Pop! the wheels off:)

Jonathan

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,292 Posts
Hi Benzonline,

Yes, getting the wheel back some would help. The first part of this article will help in instrument removal a bunch.

http://instrument.articles.*/renew/

Cheers, MBL

·
Registered
84 380SE / 86 300TE
25 Posts
I would stick with new stock ones,brighter ones will give of more heat and could slightly mishape the PCB on the back,i say this because a friend of mine put stronger ones in his heating knobs with bad results.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thanks guys....but I dont have a telescopic wheel. Its an early 126 with the chrome star center. Im pretty sure the stock bulbs are inexspensive aswell?

[:)]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok sounds like an easy job. I beleive the cluster has to come completely out or just slightly?

Im just confused now as to which bulb to get? I want it bright and similar to the gauges in the 90's MBs (even though those are backlit).

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok sounds like an easy job. I beleive the cluster has to come completely out or just slightly?

Im just confused now as to which bulb to get? I want it bright and similar to the gauges in the 90's MBs (even though those are backlit). Those are the most beautiful gauges Ive seen to look at!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Im just confused now as to which bulb to get? I want it bright and similar to the gauges in the 90's MBs (even though those are backlit). Those are the most beautiful gauges Ive seen to look at at night!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.mbcluster.com/

This place is in my neck of the woods and I just might pay them a visit and see what they can do to brighten up the cluster.[:D]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I've always been a bit perplexed w/ this brightening of the cluster.. I always run mine about 1/2 on the potentiometer, and if it's a dark back road even lower.

Maybe I'm the weird one!

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,110 Posts
I agree with Jonathan.

When I drive at night, I turn the lights down almost all the way. I don't care for being blinded by my instrument cluster.[8D]

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem is mines not even bright enough to blind anyone.

·
Registered
300 SEL (1989)
369 Posts
When removing the cluster, protect the woodwork with a cloth or tape to prevent it from being scratched.
Some auto electrician scratched mine. I'm interested to brighten my instruments - seen many methods on this forum but havent decided which way to go yet.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anybody know how many bulbs do I have to buy for the cluster. Im only concerned for the ones shining on the gauges and not the idiot lights.

I beleive its 3....1 for each gauge?

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Try this, when you take the cluster out, take out the bulbs, and clean them with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Clean the white reflectors with a q-tip as well, they're probably dirty, you may get a small increase in lighting. I found that doing this and changing out all of my ceramic fuses to copper/brass tipped ones got me a small increase in instrument cluster lighting in my 300D, as well as eliminating many electrical problems. You guys must have some pretty dim clusters, the SD is bright enough to me, although you probably haven't seen dim until you've dealt with a W123, at night, you'll drive through two towns before you can make out your mileage.[xx(]
Check this link out as well, it's a W123 based fix, but can be applied to a W126 as well.
http://boostnbenz.1baddsm.com/DIY/Dash/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts