Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil pan from a 560SL that I would like to get ready for sale. Selling it with the dipstick tube will double or triple the shipping cost. Does anyone know how to remove this tube???

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,593 Posts
On the earlier model I used vice grips down at the base, wiggled it back and forth while pulling up.

·
Registered
422 Posts
On the earlier model I used vice grips down at the base, wiggled it back and forth while pulling up.
+1 on the vice grips, but mine was so damn tight- just pulling wouldnt do it so I had to use a hammer to bash the vice grips to get the tube to come up..

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I tried on my engine while taking it apart for a rebuild with no luck. I heard from others that it's almost impossible to do without bending/breaking it. The advice in the manual is worthless because it assumes the oil pan is two-piece like on a W126.

Getting it IN must be bad because there is a special tool to do it with.

·
Registered
422 Posts
chucked it in the freezer for an hour before putting it back in... went in quite easy as opposed to getting it out...

·
Registered
470 Posts
+1 to heating it up with a torch. Be super careful, but it will slide right on out. I like the freezing idea too! I'll bet dry ice would work too :)

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did this today. It took about 30 seconds of heat with and ox-acetylene torch. A propane torch would have been just fine but I didn't have any gas left. Also I found you can pry the bottom of the tube with a screw driver but I didn't need to, It cane right out. Just a little heat does it. This can be done in the car.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts