Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new to me 1987 300D turbo.
the cruise control switch is broken, its very loose and is dangling, hitting the wiper switch. A buddy gave me a new switch for this year but i have NO IDEA how to remove this. I dont see any screws on the steering colum nor does it look like it seperates. Im thinking I need to remove the steering wheel?? Is this a fact?
Any help is appreciated, especially a parts diagram, drawing or something along those lines.
Im new Mercedes btw... My expertise lies with Volvos. Im finding that with the MB everything is so well put together and attached by multiple brackets, hinges, srews etc. Making for a complex removal of the simpleist of things.

·
Registered
1993 230 TE.1999 om 606 td. and 722.6 3.2L,clk w208 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
740 Posts
hi
You need the wheel off.
Prise off the wheel centre cover complete, square up your wheels and steering wheel, remove key to allow steering to lock and take off the wheel after removing the allen head bolt in the centre.
After the wheel is off you will see the fixing screws for the plastic stalk cover, this then lets you remove the switch.
If you have a replacement you will be aware that there is a multi plug connection for the wiring to the cruise switch which is a separate item from the main switch.
Hardest bit is getting the wheel back into the alignment it was at.

Boyd

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bad advice...

First online ppl have the factory service manual. Do some googling and searching and you can then have the proceedures.

That car has an airbag- you need to remove before messin' with the steering wheel. As far as the wheel-just mark it clearly with a carbide scribe or a sharpie. Sharpie works great for things like this.

·
Registered
1993 230 TE.1999 om 606 td. and 722.6 3.2L,clk w208 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
740 Posts
Not in the UK 1987 models.
Started appearing about 1991 and standard from 1992.

Boyd:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts