Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300SL
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this is a piece of cake if one has done this once but I have not. Can anyone tell me how to remove the climate control panel/module from the upper center console in my 1991 300SL? I have to replace the lighting for the temperature display {I am presuming that it should be lit and a bulb needs replacement}.

I just finished replacing most of the bulbs in the instrument cluster only to notice this one was out as well.

Many thanks!
cbj625

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
Good day and welcome aboard.

Please do take the time to fill in your profile with your location.

If you use the search function, you will find out that removing the climate control unit is quite simple:
1. remove the radio using the radio removal tool, or, two paper clips
2. insert your hand and push the climate control unit outward

Good luck,

·
Registered
R129 SL500
151 Posts

·
Registered
1990 500SL
9 Posts
Climate Controls Panels..??

Can anyone tell me if the front part (face) of the controller is interchangeable with other years. The reason for my question is I have a 1990 model and I was reading in another forum where they changed it... i.e. Replaced the earlier climate control panel with one with a much larger LCD in 1997... So does this mean it is possible to buy one for a 97' and it would fit correctly onto the 1990 unit..? I have no idea that is why I am posting this question... Thanks in advance..

:)

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the front part (face) of the controller is interchangeable with other years. The reason for my question is I have a 1990 model and I was reading in another forum where they changed it... i.e. Replaced the earlier climate control panel with one with a much larger LCD in 1997... So does this mean it is possible to buy one for a 97' and it would fit correctly onto the 1990 unit..? I have no idea that is why I am posting this question... Thanks in advance..

no it wont. i would have done it if possible.

to the OP,

for your years you need to take out the radio to get the climate control out because there are no slots in the earlier years for the removal tools.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts

Hi amcgeh01 it was done in the past by a fellow member years ago but the conversion involved a big work because the sensors involved in the process are not the same or not even compatible and the new controlled never worked right so in simple words ... it's not worth the hassle or the pain.

Hope it helped.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
9 Posts
Thanks for the response folks.. It was an idea so I will move onto my next mod.. I snagged a set of the Bixenon headlights off of ebay and I absolutely love them.. Man, it is so nice to drive at night now compared to the original ones..

·
Registered
Mercedes SL500 1999 R129
30 Posts
I just used the small knife blade on my swiss army knife to remove the climate control using the little slots. I took some photos. You have to make sure you position the blade at an angle to make sure it will catch the metal latch (blade should be pointed into the side so that you form an acute angle (see picture).

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes SL500 1999 R129
30 Posts
Yeah thanks! It would've helped if I had them for sure - but since I didn't and it's just a pretty simple spring mechanism the swiss army knife prevailed. A couple more photos to help other people who might have to do the same thing

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts