Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The jacking point rubber plugs-look like gum drops- are pretty much gone in my 560SEL. One fell out and the small local shop guy got one back in at that spot but could not figure out how to get the other old smashed up ones out. I have the buttons, but how do we get what remains of the old ones out. I guess they are "press fit" in when you put the new one in. At least that is how he got the one in where one was totally gone.
Guidance?:)

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've never done it, but I'm thinking you cut the old rubber out in pieces, and if it is press fit, jack the car up with the new mount to force it in. I think the weight of the car should do the trick...

·
Registered
39 Posts
The jacking point rubber plugs-look like gum drops- are pretty much gone in my 560SEL. One fell out and the small local shop guy got one back in at that spot but could not figure out how to get the other old smashed up ones out. I have the buttons, but how do we get what remains of the old ones out. I guess they are "press fit" in when you put the new one in. At least that is how he got the one in where one was totally gone.
Guidance?:)
What are those 'mushrooms' called? I can't seem to find them without the name.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Just like installing rear subframe bushings, pry the old one out with whatever means necessary, then lube the new one up with dishwashing soap. On these you can twist to get them started in the opening, then use your floor jack with a block of wood to press the pad into place.

Later model jack pads used a concept like their plastic rivets - they have a center pin that gets pushed in after the pad is pressed into place. Makes it a lot easier and takes far less effort.

While you're down there, check all the body drains to make sure they're clear and not missing. If they are, replace them!

Dan

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've found the couple I've had to pull out came out with a little prying using a 12" pry-bar (a screwdriver probably won't do it). Putting the new ones in, I just used a floor jack; center it up, guide it the first half inch or so by hand, and then jack it another 6" or so. These are easy to overlook, and you can get by using a square of 2x4 where the jack pad is missing if needed. Thing is, if and when you take it to a shop, you're just asking for someone to mess up your undercarriage. Both my cars have some battle scars that I believe originated from past mechanics putting the lift in the wrong place; some less informed mechanics will do it regardless, but at least done give them an excuse!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts