Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe I am stuck at the very beginning of my adventure... but I am. I am trying to remove the right valve cover but there are two vacuum lines in the way. The purple one goes to the distributor and the green one goes to the throttle body. They both go into a pod in front of the battery.

I've looked at pictures of other people's 1974 450SL engines and I don't see these two lines going over the valve cover at all. Are mine routed incorrectly?

How do I disconnect them to get the valve cover off?

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
I just pulled mine off carefully when working on the motor. I think they are probably wrongly routed as mine go round the front rather than over the top. Make sure you keep track of what goes where - I take multiple pics before removing anything!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I removed the vacuum lines at the pod. Now I have the cover off and here is what the guides look like. They are a uniform golden brown. I guess they need to be replaced?

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Andy, before you go at it you ought to rotate the engine by hand to meause the chain stretch... And then yes, onto replacing guides, sprockets, chain and the tensioner as Aussiemerc advised. Earlier tonight I created a thread how to do it based on my experience last week.

·
Registered
843 Posts
No need to remove the accessories Andy as long as you can reach the 27mm nut and rotate the engine, the flywheel with angles is visible at all times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
miko1aj
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing