Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 410.000 km
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I hope it can be seen from the attached picture that there is a rust in a metal below the back door lock (W140, 500 SE, 1992, European). I'd like to remove the plastic "strip" where the lock is mounted, to achieve a free way for cleaning the rust and colour repair of a metal part. The question is how to remove this plastic? Can anybody give me instructions ... at least where to begin. Thanks and best regards to everybody.

Attachments

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
I dont think that those strips are attatched with anything but gluepads..Try starting at the end.. I always use dental floss or button thread and go back and forth with a sawing action.. better than marking the paint...If you hit hard stuff you cant get through.. it has a clip. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Merc600s, it sounds logical what you say and it is useful in any case, however I' ll wait for some more hints. Actually the biggest problem is a lock itself as one can see from the picture. Maybe my question was not good ... maybe I should ask how to remove the lock. Namely, this would clear the rusted area.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I would start with the panel on the inside and see if there are any fasteners, the bolts that hold the lock are also there. There are pins in the trunk opening trim and plugs at the side and bottom of the carpet trim.

·
Registered
F250 7.3TD Mercedes Benz W140 S600 1996 119k k's(sold), MB W124 300E 1989 261k k's(sold)
464 Posts
Hi, yes Peter is correct. There are 4 little 2 piece plastic plugs along the top of the trim on the lip of the inside the trunk, plus another 4 on the inside side. With a small flat bladed screw driver prize the center piece of each plug out leaving the rim which can be easily removed once the center is out. Keep the clips for reuse. Once the trim is removed you will be able to see the nuts which have to be removed to take off the silver horizontal strip. With this off you should be able to find the source of your rust.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Peter, Simon, thanks so much. That's what I wanted to hear. Such tips are very usefull. I am sure that I will solve the problem now. Best regards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts