Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like this topic has probably been covered, but I cannot find it through searching...So I have my driver's door panel/card out, trying to replace the courtesy light which is missing, but I don't know how to get the perforated vinyl part out. (the part that would have diagonal stitching in gen 2's) I got the top out just by bending a little and sliding it out of the metal clip.. but the bottom of it seems permanently fastened to the door panel with the same style metal clips. I tried prying one off with no luck. Is there a way to get that panel off without ruining it?

Also, any help with the wiring would be appreciated, it didn't appear that its old wires were in the door anymore. Thanks as always.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Vinyl or Leather portion of the door cards are integral with the bottom portion of the door cards and are not removable. When changing out the door cards, you must use the whole card. I suppose that the vinyl?leather could be removed, but not easily, and would entail cutting the vinyl/leather portion loose from the card.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snake my car has the optional lamps on the underside of the doors. They might be called foot lamps or something, but all the lights are courtesy lights. Chadahar, I believe you're right, unfortunately. After further inspection it looks like there's no other way to get to the lamp's housing, without likely breaking the vinyl's backing. I guess to change the bulb you just pry them out? Unfortunately the entire lamp is missing, so I got a new one from autohaus. Any experience with these could be helpful.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have em too, and changing the bulb was done by just taking the lens portion out pf the bottom... never took my door card out to do it. The wires run from that accordion hose between the door and body, and there are only two per light... I'm confused by the need to remove the door card though...

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahhhh. I'm installing a new lamp, not just the bulb, and I didn't realize that the lamp just held itself in place, I thought I would have to mount it to something. I guess I just needed to take the panel off to wire it. Thanks Snake.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I gotcha. I got lucky I guess when I bought all new lenses, as its plastic clips that hold em in, and were broken on two of them. You'll be surprised at how much light a new clear lens throws on the ground compared to a yellowed old one!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup. Just got it hooked up. It is much brighter than the others. Now I just have to decide if it's worth the 32 bucks and couple of hours it'll take for the door panels to replace them. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, Murphy got me today. The door panel just would not hang right. I spent a half hour just working it around a little trying to get it back hanging on the clips. It just would not, even though the clips are all intact... and when I finally did get it hung poorly, the wires were no longer in the door card. So I got it halfway back off, snaked the wires through, go to plug the light into the connectors, and I break one of the connectors. I've been beaten. My panel will stay in its misaligned position for as long as it takes me to forget what a pain in the ass this has been. Any tips about re-hanging the door panel would be appreciated.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If I recall correctly, theres 4 clips up top and 2 on each side... I used my knee on the left side to push in the clips, left hand on top and right hand on the right side. It's tough to hang it with two hands haha

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Sam, it takes some patience to do this ^^

First off all remove the seat switch, if you have one. It will give you more space to work with. Bind the 3 connectors with a rope (or similar ;)) and pulle the rope through the hole. so you can get them out even if they disappear while adjusting the panel.

Open the window! Stick the panel over the security knob on top and then hook the panel at the inner side of the door. Then move to the hooks on the outer side. The hardest thing is to hook the top of the panel to the window sealing.

You have to pull the panel up a little bit, so press your knees against it, so the hooks stay in place. You can pull at the opening of the door handle a bit to get the panel more going up. At least hook the top into the sealing, but pay attention to the hooks, they tend to break very easy!

Good luck with that job ^^

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't even realize there were clips on the side. Will definitely give it another go today. Thanks Carlen and Roland.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts