Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a c230 and from the looks of it, the original oner never cleaned this car inside BUT smoked like a chimney.

I tried to air it out for some days now, leaving the windows down, but the smell is still strong, what can help???

·
Registered
W164 GL450, W221 S550, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
752 Posts
OZIUM. A couple sprays then shut the door for a while. Also you can leave the car with windows open on a nice day for several hours...

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
1,555 Posts
There has been volumes already written and discussed here. Do a search on 'smoke odor' and perhaps you will find what you need. I can tell you from experience that there is no magic short term answer. It takes extensive cleaning and scrubbing of the entire inside, plus various methods of spraying. In extreme cases, we have used an "ozone" machine that recirculates the inside air. Check with some local detail companies to see if they offer this.

Here is five pages of discussion:http://www.benzworld.org/forums/detailing-car-care/1176004-cigarette-smoke-odor-removal.html?highlight=smoke+odor

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Benz rider, that stuff does no more to remove smoke odor than chewing bubble gum. All that does is mask the odor with heavy perfumes that will dissapate and the smoke odor will be right back.

If you were able to look at smoke under a high powered microscope you would see that ti is actually comprised of very miniscule particles. It is these particles that embed themselves in the fibers of the headliner, seats and carpet. You have to clean these fabrics to remove the smoke residue or you will always find yourself spraying more perfumes mask the odor.

I dont have first hand experience with the ozone generator but I have read numerous good thinds about the successful removal of smoke odor.

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
Benz rider, that stuff does no more to remove smoke odor than chewing bubble gum. All that does is mask the odor with heavy perfumes that will dissapate and the smoke odor will be right back.

If you were able to look at smoke under a high powered microscope you would see that ti is actually comprised of very miniscule particles. It is these particles that embed themselves in the fibers of the headliner, seats and carpet. You have to clean these fabrics to remove the smoke residue or you will always find yourself spraying more perfumes mask the odor.

I dont have first hand experience with the ozone generator but I have read numerous good thinds about the successful removal of smoke odor.
BBAP, no way man. I thought that too. here's what I did. I sprayed in my car(I'm a smoker) and I closed the windows, etc. car sat over night. morning came. no smoke smell at all. smoke is heavier than anything you can spray in your car. even febreeze won't totally get it out.

Now I do agree that smoke needs some to make it evaporate, but there is notthing out there that does that. smoke will almost always leave resin or haze on your dash regardless of what you use. I've found that the little trees is the utmost only one that will get the smoke out of my car fast. sereiously, it works. but like i said, all smokers should keep some 303 handy to wipe down your dash periodically.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Why did you purhase a car that had never been cleaned and was driven by a chain smoker? How well do you think they took care of the car? They were more worried about where their lighter was then when it was time to change the oil. Really dumb choice on your part.

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
I don't want my Mercedes-Benz to smell like a Pine Tree! :eek: I want it to smell like leather! :rolleyes: So, even though there is no smoke odor in my cars, I do spray a "leather" type of spray to enhance the leather smell!

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
I don't want my Mercedes-Benz to smell like a Pine Tree! :eek: I want it to smell like leather! :rolleyes: So, even though there is no smoke odor in my cars, I do spray a "leather" type of spray to enhance the leather smell!
The Pine trees in the can won't do that. the 'hanging' trees will because when your car heats up while you're at work the trees cover up the smell of everything. but the can trees don't last forever like that. and it won't stain or cover the smell of your leather seats. if your seats have been cleaned and conditioned with leather products, that leather smell will come back. mine always does. that's another reason I use it. the febreeze and other fresheners tend to cover up the smell of everything in the car too. so I agree with you, I want my leather smell. so I go for the Pine trees for getting the smoke odor out. Try it!:thumbsup:...

·
Registered
1984 300D (311,500 miles)
42 Posts
Ionizing generator that fits in your lighter outlet....got mine at Target for 9 bucks....ionize the air.....the smoke molecules are gone. How do you think hotels turn a "smoking" room into "non-smoking" room?

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Ionizing generator that fits in your lighter outlet....got mine at Target for 9 bucks....ionize the air.....the smoke molecules are gone. How do you think hotels turn a "smoking" room into "non-smoking" room?
That does nothing except product a small amount of Ozone (which is very bad for your health). And Hotels generally don't have smoking rooms in the US anymore, and if they do, they keep then smoking. They are not flipped back and forth between non and 'let's light up'.

·
Registered
1984 300D (311,500 miles)
42 Posts
sorry i think you might be referring to ionizing radiation...."negative ions" to which i am referring have no documented "ill" effects on health. In fact negative ions have actually helped some symptoms experienced by chronic lung patients and have even proved to raise "serotonin" levels in in vitro blood samples. I do agree that most hotels now are non smoking but a friend owns several hotels that do offer smoking rooms and use a much larger "active" ionizer to rapidly clean the air in smoking rooms.

·
Registered
341 Posts
sorry i think you might be referring to ionizing radiation...."negative ions" to which i am referring have no documented "ill" effects on health. In fact negative ions have actually helped some symptoms experienced by chronic lung patients and have even proved to raise "serotonin" levels in in vitro blood samples. I do agree that most hotels now are non smoking but a friend owns several hotels that do offer smoking rooms and use a much larger "active" ionizer to rapidly clean the air in smoking rooms.
The operative word with these posts is "clean the air ".

Smells and Odours:
You cannot eliminate odours by shampooing the interior, and/or spraying a deodorizer. Many odours are caused by micro-organisms such as bacteria, mould, and mildew. Shampooing does not eradicate odours; it spreads them over a much wider area. You eliminate odour-causing organisms with very specialized chemicals.

Technically, an odour is an invisible gas, so it can permeate any material or crevice. Look for stains. If there are no stains, narrow the playing field.

The most important aspect of removing (as opposed to using a product that will cover it, only for the odour to return later on) or at the very least mitigating an offensive door is that you must find and remove its origin. If you thoroughly clean the interior and it still smells you have not removed the material which is generating the smell. You can use an ozone machine, steam / extractor, scrub, and vacuum etc but if you do not remove the origin the smell will remain. For the removal of smoke, pet odours, virtually any organically caused odours (including mould) in carpet, seats, headliners, upholstery and heating and air conditioning ducts, spray a fine mist over the entire vehicle interior beginning with the headliner and finishing on the carpeting. Odour Terminator is a contact product and must be sprayed on the source of the odour. Be sure to spray under the seats. A/C system ducts- spray into all vents, turn on the fan blower and spray into all intakes.

Extractor Units: add 4 ounces Odour terminator to each gallon of extractor solution. Clean interior glass after use to prevent spotting. Replace cabin air filter after odour removal.

Product specific- Microban is used in surgical suites as an antiseptic cleaner; wear a mask if you spray. It kills germs, mildew etc. Microban - Unsmoke Catalog - Water Restoration Products

Odour Terminator (http://www.autoint.com/autostore/pc...stSellers..P.asp.comm) is not a perfume or cover up scent; it’s an unscented formula that chemically alters the proteins that odour causing microbes feed on. It's non-toxic, non-allergenic, fast acting without offensive perfume smell and will not damage interior materials or components.

If you have an extreme odour problem try Chemical Guys Offensive Odor Eliminator. This concentrated formula is designed to eliminate the worst odors quickly and easily. This formula quickly attacks the organic molecules, breaking them down and eliminating the source of the foul odor. Use it remove smells form coffee, food, spills, human odors, pet urine, vomit, mildew, mold and so much more. One 16oz bottle can be diluted with 2 gallons of water for increased value or used at full strength Detailed Image - Auto Detailing and Car Cleaning Products, Tools, and Tutorials - Detailed Image

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Excellent post togwt! Very good information.

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
I was gonna mention Microban products such as this one below(pic 1). I used those back when I was on a maintenance crew cleaning airports and office buildings. but I can't find the stuff anywhere anymore. I forgot to mention that in addition to using my Trees in a can I also use bad odor blocks (pic 2), which can be had for about $4 bucks. I put them under the seats. you can find those here. bad odor blocks

did somebody in here say they use leather conditioner spray as their air freshener?
:eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
did somebody in here say they use leather conditioner spray as their air freshener?
:eek:
Not quite, Ajax boy......read the posts, don't just come up with incorrect comments.

"So, even though there is no smoke odor in my cars, I do spray a "leather" type of spray to enhance the leather smell!"

It is a spray that smells like leather, and guess what? It works! Of course it's not meant to cover up smoke smells, just to enhance the leather smell.

Leather or New Car Scent
Refreshing Car Scents Will Make You Feel Like You Have A New Car
If your interior isn't smelling like a new car anymore, it could be those bean burritos, drive-thru French fries, or maybe your dog has been smoking your fine Cuban cigars again. Here are two wonderful scents to freshen the air. The Leather Car Scent is great: it actually does smell like leather! Our New Car Scent offers a fresh, natural air to your vehicle and will bring back that wonderful smell when your vehicle was new. The scent lasts about a week with just a couple sprays under each seat. I saturate a small sponge and place it under the seat near an air vent so the wonderful smell flows throughout the cabin. Spray a little in your vacuum before you turn it on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Glad to see you have a sense of humor! Maybe you're lightening up a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're all probably going to laugh when I tell what I was introduced to by a former rental car agency manager - coffee grounds. Yes, an open can of coffee grounds left in the car with the windows rolled up will eliminate most odors.

Rental car agencies get cars back with all kinds of smelly stuff and use this as an inexpensive and effective solution.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
I just purchased a c230 and from the looks of it, the original oner never cleaned this car inside BUT smoked like a chimney.

I tried to air it out for some days now, leaving the windows down, but the smell is still strong, what can help???
This is what I use for Smoke Odors, Dog Odors, Urine Smells, Sneaker Odors or any other funk I can't stand.

I use Odo-ban.
It's amazing and super effective.
It does not mask the odor with perfume stuff. It neutralizes and chemically
breaks apart the odor molecules

Check it out: OdoBan Odor Eliminator - OdoBan Eliminates Odors - The Original OdoBan Odor Eliminator

You can find this at BJ's Wholesale Club, Sams' Club, Wal-Mart.

Use it and see if I am not right. You'll see.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts