Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Every one,

I have a 1970 U406 with a OM352 power plant, the engine was run low on oil and had formed a deep sounding knock! they proceeded to keep driving the vehicle until it sized. I wanted to remove the oil pan for initial diagnostics, from looking at the front engine mount and Hydraulic pump location, it might be more hassle then its worth. As a new-be to the Mog! I was hoping to get some suggestions, it may just be the straight ahead get the job done, remove the engine and perform a complete tear down and inspection.

Thanks you.
:surrender:

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
Hello Every one,

I have a 1970 U406 with a OM352 power plant, the engine was run low on oil and had formed a deep sounding knock! they proceeded to keep driving the vehicle until it sized. I wanted to remove the oil pan for initial diagnostics, from looking at the front engine mount and Hydraulic pump location, it might be more hassle then its worth. As a new-be to the Mog! I was hoping to get some suggestions, it may just be the straight ahead get the job done, remove the engine and perform a complete tear down and inspection.

Thanks you.
:surrender:
It sounds like you'll be replacing some rotating parts. Really, it's best to just tilt or remove the cab and pull the motor. It's really not too hard and you'll learn a lot. While you're in there, you can inspect and clean the rest of the drivetrain.

It sounds like a good winter project to me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,627 Posts
Plus you will find it cheaper to replace the motor than it is to rebuild your old one! I have complete, low hour running motors for as little as $3k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Von

Thanks for the info....I'm interested in buying the engine from you! Could you send a few pictures and PM me with contact details. The Mog is not running and I will need to lift the rear box to tilt the cab (it has a camper kit on the rear) any suggestions!! I was going to rig up a hydraulic pack and lift it that way.

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,627 Posts
Thanks for the info....I'm interested in buying the engine from you! Could you send a few pictures and PM me with contact details. The Mog is not running and I will need to lift the rear box to tilt the cab (it has a camper kit on the rear) any suggestions!! I was going to rig up a hydraulic pack and lift it that way.
Just shot me an email at [email protected] and I can send photos.

·
Registered
416 doka turbo
126 Posts
Just a ditto, but some top end work is fine with the motor in frame. Bottom end work is just not worth the fight. Pull it and replace or work on it in the shop.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
So the camper extends over the top of the cab? If it does, you'll have to remove it, because I don't know anyway of pulling an engine from a 406 without tilting the cab or removing the whole cab.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts