Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new owner here!
I recently purchased a very nice, 1999 E320. One older couple owner, no kids, no smokers, 61k miles. It's beautiful black. The problem is, there are painted initials on both front doors. These are in the pinstripes. I would like to remove the initials and fill in (continue) the pinstripes where the initials were. Would a little lacquer thinner work for this? Would it damage the clearcoat or paint? I have been told that sometimes, the initials are decals and a hairdryer and piece of plastic would remove them. These initials are hand painted, however. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Peter

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
No, don't use harsh chemical, you may make a mess. If it's painted on, they do sell a rubber eraser type gizmo that attaches to a drill for removing such stuff. They probably sell this at eastwood company or something. Also, check a local detailer, they may do it for the same as buying something you'll never use again and will know how to use it properly. If it's a decal or sticker it can removed with a hairdryer and pick at it with your finger nail.

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
I know this sounds a little HARSH but it will remove sign painters enamel with NO damage to the factory paint, OVEN CLEANER does wonders on lettering paint but will not work if the letters are done with tape!! Wear rubber gloves, use a rag, and just dab a little on the letters let it sit for about 2 min. and wash off with water, I have done this for years removing sponsors names from our race car.DONT USE LACQUER THINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I bought my car used with after-market pinstripes. I said I didn't like them at the time, and the detail shop foreman said he would remove them for me at no charge (they were painted on). After starting a thread on here, and asking him how he was going to remove them (buff them off) I decided I did not want to risk losing any clearcoat. I have learned to live with mine, but I don't have any initials either. Whoever did them did do a good job.

Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
1998 E300D
349 Posts
I've done the oven cleaner trick (on a QTip), too. Worked very well. A little bit of a shadow remains today, but is a huge improvement over the pinstripe's appearance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts