Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 S500 Coupe, 1993 190E Sportline LE-stick
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Removing Left Front Quarter Panel from W140- PHOTOS

After 2 nights of attempting to remove the left front quarter panel from a notorious(see Dr. Charles Atlas) 95 S500 coupe, I have reached a conclusion. The front bumper(only 4 nuts/washers) is easily removed but the lfqp(left front quarter panel) is a different story. After removing the bumper, I removed the plastic wheel well(several screws and some contortion) allowing me to access some qp retaining screws. I then removed the plastic trim piece directly below the qp in front of the door, it pops out but it has 2 screws near the door side that have to be removed before it will come out. I removed various screws inside left under hood, also 3 more screws in the area between the door and qp (using long extension), I had to open door partially to access them. I was surprised it was still rather affixed. I also had to remove some chrome and tease out rubber trim in a few areas(headlight, windshield) being very careful(soapy water) not to tear off the retaining tits.
Tonight, I removed the left front headlight assembly by removing various small screws using a Mercedes bucket to support it in a dangle method, and found another major qp retaining screw to remove underneath the headlight. That really freed up the qp. Then I came to a final point of frustration. I could smell victory but on the bottom of the qp is a pivoting support arm secured to the qp by a rivet. This support arm fits into a slot in the plastic at the bottom. I tried my best to pop it out to no avail. I tried lubricant, hair dryer to soften the plastic, and brute strength without success. The entire qp is engineered so that it will not come off without releasing the support arm first. Finally, I decided before I broke something that is quite hard to replace, I will try popping the rivet and replacing it upon refitting the qp after it has been repainted. I believe once I free up that support arm I can manipulate the qp off the car. If anybody body-man has a better solution please let me know.
The reason I am making this effort is to repaint the bumper and remove rust inside and out from the qp. The rust turned out to be more extensive underneath than I originally thought when viewing from the painted-side. I have taken a few pics so you can see the progress, they can be enlarged by clicking. Please feel free to offer advice. Methinks the rivet is next... I drilled out the rivet and viola, releasing the support arm(bracket) and I was able to manipulate the qp off of the car. Note the piece of foam laying on top of the engine bay was underneath the quarter panel. I can now remove the rust on the painted surface and the areas underneath, treat them, and then have the bumper and q panel repainted black 040.

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,531 Posts
Maybe this can Help you solve it ,looks like it has been repaired once before and instead of adding a screw there ,they welded it .I had a comparision test look on e'bay ,there are 3 fenders available,all 3 have that part cut or bend off .

Picture:
With compliments form Member "S600L AMG" :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
removing L front quarter panel from 95 coupe

Maybe this can Help you solve it ,looks like it has been repaired once before and instead of adding a screw there ,they welded it .I had a comparision test look on e'bay ,there are 3 fenders available,all 3 have that part cut or bend off .

Picture:
With compliments form Member "S600L AMG" :thumbsup:
Thank you for the diagram, I had to find screws on my own, the diagram would have helped.
I don't believe it has been repaired before. Gyrate is correct, the whitish(due to camera flash) appearing screw-head at the top of the support arm is actually a rivet. The support arm pivots anterior-posteriorly. The bottom of the support arm pops into a slot in the black plastic trim. I plan to drill out the rivet as suggested to release the support arm. I am hoping this will allow for enough manipulation to remove the quarter panel. I want to preserve the support arm and will re-rivet when the qp is re-installed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The quarter panel came off easily tonight after drilling out the rivet. Restorative work has begun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts