Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 560sec, 83 300sd turbo
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the amp for the cruide in my 87 420, how in the world do I remove the knee bolster?

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Did you manage to take out the shelf under the steering wheel and the cover panel beneath the shelf (or are they what you are referring to as knee bolster)?

There are two rectangular covers on the vertical surface of the tray that you can pry off with a flathead screwdriver. Removing them will reveal screws - but don't unscrew them yet.

Also, under the shelf is a cover panel - if you look up from underneath, there are plastic screws with philips head - note, they are not screws in the truest sense but they are more like snaps - rotate the head, once the pins are aligned with the shape of the hole, then you can disengage the panel.

Go back to the screws revealed after removing the cover plate and unscrew them.

You can now remove the shelf and panel - that should be enough to give you room to work on your CC amp.

If not, then the ribbed black tube that is now revealed that runs across under the steering wheel column (what I refer as the knee bolster) can be removed by unscrewing from underneath using a long shaft screwdriver (sorry, my memory is fuzzy here).

I can't seem to access my gallery to point out the parts at this moment so I hope the text alone is clear enough.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is the shelf attatched on the top? It seems to be clips of some kind, but I dont want to force it.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Once you remove the screws under the plastic cover plates, I recall the shelf would disengage from the dash without much fuss.

I do not have immediate access to the car nor to the service CD at this moment - but let me see if I can double check how they are attached.

Also, when you get to the CC amp, there is some writeup on how to remove it (in short remove together with the bracket it is attached to because it is easier) - try a search in this forum.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am stumped I can see metel clips of some kind and they seem to be screwed in to the upper part of the dash from the inside but cant see how it is attatched to the shelf under the dash.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
doh Thanks reading this in a fully awake mode works fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts