Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedez-Benz S320
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the passenger side headlight assembly on my '99 S320. The one bolt I can't see (or reach) is behind the neck of the windshield washer fluid tank.

It appears that I have to remove the tank to reach that bolt, and that in turn involves removing the front bumper. :eek:

Am I correct, or is there another, simpler way?

·
Registered
1997 V140 S420 LWB, 1992 R129 300 SL
348 Posts
Have a look here:
Index of /S420/diy-lyktevask
Check out the pictures called "lykt" and a number. These are the pictures I took when I loosened the headlamps to be able to remove the lenses in order to clean them.
Don´t know if yours is attached the same way, but in case it can help you in any way...

·
Registered
1999 Mercedez-Benz S320
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have a look here:
Index of /S420/diy-lyktevask
Check out the pictures called "lykt" and a number. These are the pictures I took when I loosened the headlamps to be able to remove the lenses in order to clean them.
Don´t know if yours is attached the same way, but in case it can help you in any way...
Thanks, Michael. The bolt I'm having trouble with is (I think) shown in picture lykt10.jpg. It looks like my washer fluid tank is different than yours, but I may be wrong.

Did you have to remove the plastic fan guard or just loosen it as shown in lykt9.jpg? What tool did you use to remove it - a socket wrench or a combination wrench?

·
Registered
1997 V140 S420 LWB, 1992 R129 300 SL
348 Posts
The fan guard is attached with expansion clips, I used a knife to gently pull it out. Didn´t have to remove the guard, just loosened it (a friend of mine did the same job on his S600 without loosening the fan guard though, but he had a funny expression on his face when I told him that it was very easy to loosen this... :D )

I used a flexible head socket wrench to loosen the bolt in question, AFAIR.

·
Premium Member
84 500 SEL ...94 S420..... 95 S500.... 96 S500 95 S600
1,715 Posts
I need to replace the passenger side headlight assembly on my '99 S320. The one bolt I can't see (or reach) is behind the neck of the windshield washer fluid tank.

It appears that I have to remove the tank to reach that bolt, and that in turn involves removing the front bumper. :eek:

Am I correct, or is there another, simpler way?
Hi,I use a 8mm open end wrench,very time consumming but,you wont have to remove the washer bottle filler neck...I would remove the fan gaurd because they tend to turn brittle and it will be well out of the way then...good luck

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts
No need to remove the tank. Just use an 8mm socket or combo wrench. It takes a few minutes but it will come out without too much trouble. Last time I pulled the light out I was able to turn the bolt by hand once I got it broken loose with a wrench.

Oh, BTW you don't have to remove the bumper to get the washer tank out either. It's held on by 3 10mm nuts that can be accessed by reaching under the headlight. Loosen them, pull the belly pan, disconnect the wires/hoses on the washer pumps, and drop the tank out from underneath.

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss) 2014 BMW F01
2,886 Posts
Similar as bobs here - I've replaced my headlights 4 times now. Takes me about 3 minutes a side to get the units out.

Use the 8mm socket - apply pressure on it with your finger and grip and loosen it with the wrench that is in the standard tool set that comes with the car :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.