Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
02 Mercedes Ml 320
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about trying to take the governor off of my 02 ml320. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
2003 ML 320: Engine:112942 31 305548, Transmission: 722662 03 807606, FrontAxelAL431020714752162233
128 Posts
Governor? I am going to follow this one for awhile

I was thinking about trying to take the governor off of my 02 ml320. Anyone have any experience with this?
Governor? I am going to follow this one for awhile. I was not aware that there is a governor. I have heard of some vehicles being electronically limited to comply to either general safety of the model (think vehicles with higher ground clearance generally don't go as fast as lower clearance cars) or the laws of the nation.

Would't the governor prevent the engine from reaching or exceeding redline?

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
He means the speed limiter.
Which should only be done if the truck is running the correct tires for those speeds and has very well
maintained suspension.
It can be done with the MB Star computer that has developer mode activated. No dealer even has
developer mode activated. It was for MB and Terradyne to test functions beyond normal dealer service.
So a chip tuner will do it or a shop with a MB Star that has developer mode enable will do it.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Im sure if you send your ECU to somewhere like jet performance or something like that, they can remove the governor (speed limiter) and tune your ECU for performance. But make sure you have the correct tires for that speed and suspension upgrades (lowering and stiffer springs, performance shocks) and handling upgrades like front and rear sway bars.

·
Registered
2003 ML 320: Engine:112942 31 305548, Transmission: 722662 03 807606, FrontAxelAL431020714752162233
128 Posts
So if the speed limiter is indeed removed does anyone out there have a theory on the new top speed for the ML320? I have seen other post that say it will do 112 MPH with the limiter on. One guy verified 110 MPH before he lost control and totaled it. He is okay.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
Sometimes I think that 112 mph just isn't fast enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So if the speed limiter is indeed removed does anyone out there have a theory on the new top speed for the ML320? I have seen other post that say it will do 112 MPH with the limiter on. One guy verified 110 MPH before he lost control and totaled it. He is okay.
I have personally done 115mph in my car held it there for about 3 miles I was at about 3600rpm nothing shaking completely stock

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I have personally done 115mph in my car held it there for about 3 miles I was at about 3600rpm nothing shaking completely stock
Welcome Tyler2021,

....responding to an 8 yer old post. Better late than never, I guess. :)

Please update your user cp info.
click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,729 Posts
Glad to hear those that made the modification are still here to tell us about it !!

You know these days, 120mph is not considered all that fast. All of the manufacturers over the years have steadily improved top end and I'm sure rev/speed limiters are added to all the manufacturers offerings.

What is NOT usually considered is the time to get from 114 mph back down to zero IN A HURRY !!
It is extremely dangerous to be clocking these speeds if you have any sort of interaction with other traffic !

Plus the fact that..... (this is the W163 forum) our ML's are not designed for speed. They are much higher off the ground than most vehicles, are very susceptible to crosswinds and are not designed for maximum rpms over an extended period.

It is amazing what age does towards your perspective on life. If you are determined to see what your ML will top out at, I would suggest the following, in no particular order.

Have a notarized will.

Do not consume any alcohol prior to your foolishness.

Have minimum amount of gasoline in your tank....maybe 1/4 full.....your mileage will be pitiful.

Have a good life insurance policy.

MAKE SURE to check your tire pressures !

This one will go against your thinking, but I would suggest having NO PASSENGERS ! A video account of your endeavor should be enough to satisfy the non-believers. And I would suggest you have the camera mounted,,,,not in your hand.

I'm sure I have left out a few caveats.....for members, feel free to add suggestions.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,511 Posts
You can try this at open speed trials on the Boniville Salt Flats.

But they too have waivers and safety equipment requirements one of which may be a five point harness.

GoSpeed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Goo!

On second thought...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts