Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SL420 1986 (r107)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm feeling brave enough to install an outside temperature gauge in the centre (UK spelling) vent of my 107. The instructions require me to remove the glove box and dash.

Can someone point me in the right direction, I've tried searching already on the forum without success?

Regards

Jim

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Removal of the glove box is simple - there are four push-pin retainers, one in each front corner. Using a thin bladed screwdriver or knife, pull out each pin, and then remove the pin holder. The glove box can then be taken out; remove the light from the box as you start to draw it out.

I replaced the triple duct for the dashboard outlets in my '78 - the old one was falling apart. I expect the steps you would go through would be similar to what I did, except you'd add the clock in the center outlet. I removed both the glove box and the instrument cluster (which also requires removing the steering wheel) to have access to the rear of the outlets; the writeup is at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1511387-replacing-c-center-vent-boot.html#post4073405 and difficult as it was, it's a lot less complicated than removing the dashboard.

Before you get too deeply into it, you might want to check the condition of the center vent duct in your car, and if bad, replace it at the same time; mine was only 20 USD, delivered. Also, if you have an in-cabin temperature sensor in the dash, be ready for the hose connecting it to the blower box to crumble; mine had been replaced with ordinary plastic tubing by a prior owner, and it works just fine.

·
Registered
SL420 1986 (r107)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Skylaw that's a great help. I've seen in the glove box the plastic push pins and wondered how to pull those out. Sounds a fair bit of work, so I'd better give myself plenty of time to sort it.

Jim

·
Registered
1994 SL500
152 Posts
Outside Temp Gauge

Hi, I have just finished this job a couple of weeks ago so its fresh in my mind. I have always wanted a decent ext temp gauge and was fed up with the rubbish stick on stuff from car acc shops etc. For me this job on a DIY scale of 10 being hardest, probably a 7. This wasnt helped by the fact that I couldnt remove the steering wheel and therefore cluster as the previous owner has rounded off the centre bolt and so without resorting to the local garage, managed to affix the rubber boot with one hand in the glove box and the other in the space I vacated by removing the radio facia etc.
I am no tutor but if its any help I can give you a rough idea of how I installed. Firstly, I dont know how much of the parts you have but I only had the second hand gauge with a couple of inches of wires from the back and sensor with no loom nor rubber boot. This needs to be changed from 3 to 2 tube, so I ordered the boot from Mercedes and looking at the wiring diagram reckoned I could manage without the proper loom.
I removed the glove box as described previously, then the radio and fascia etc. The three funnel rubber boot can just be pulled off the heater chamber outlet and the face vents but be careful as the linkage that opens & closes the vent from the dash, threads through that small hole in the rubber boot connecting to the large flap. I found the easiest way was to remove the part of the linkage covering the ball joint furthest away from you to remove & install the rubber boots. The remove the swivel vent thing from the middle vent, then push the gauge in from the front and wire up. 2 wires go to the sensor, 1 earth, 1 to an ignition only live, I tapped into the radio for this and the final wire for illumination, this I got from one of the switches just below the vents. The most awkward fiddly bit was trying to get that rubber boot fitted to all the apertures. I found a dose of washing up liquid around the apertures made everything nice & slippy and after much swearing got the thing on. Reassemble everything. I never did find out without the loom where the sensor was originally supposed to be fitted so I ended up with it just behind the number plate. Another fiddly bit was getting the 2 wires thru the bulkhead. I ran them alongside some vacuum pipes which you will see top left when you remove the glove box.
A bit of a ramble, I hope it makes sense. This was I should say on an 85 euro SL, with the rotary heater controls not the push button climate control - I am not sure wether it makes any difference.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1982 380SL
37 Posts
I'm feeling brave enough to install an outside temperature gauge in the centre (UK spelling) vent of my 107. The instructions require me to remove the glove box and dash.

Can someone point me in the right direction, I've tried searching already on the forum without success?

Regards

Jim
Jim -- Would you want to share those instructions as a pdf perhaps? I'm determined to pick up a used ambient temp gauge for my 380SL one of these days, and I'd like to have the installation instructions at the ready.

Bob

·
Registered
SL420 1986 (r107)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim -- Would you want to share those instructions as a pdf perhaps? I'm determined to pick up a used ambient temp gauge for my 380SL one of these days, and I'd like to have the installation instructions at the ready.

Bob
Certainly, the instructions for the moment are in German but I'm using Google Translate to help get them in English, but for the moment it's still a bit confused. I'm going through it to clear up the mistranslations. I have a sort of wiring diagram too I can add as a PDF.

Below is a cut and paste of what I've got but I need to do some more work on it.

Terminal 30 should be or how the instrument panel / glove box is removed by the installer to be clear.

Let’s Go

First, you need to remove centre air vents from its socket, in which you wish to install the VDO gauge. In order to create enough working space it is recommended that the glove box, radio and instrument cluster is removed.
As the screw ring-ball "in the housing will fall hard with your fingers to screw the ring until it stops - you can get by with 2 screws turning or one wide-opening pliers. Please not to be so centred.

The components of spring, pressure ring and ball ventilation are not needed.

See picture.

Tip: The rear part of the air nozzles rotate about 15 degrees - then open the connection clips

Now the corresponding ventilation nozzle comes completely apart. See picture with the items. The gauge is placed in front of the nozzle which has some built-play, and held back with the large white plastic screw.
The white screw must be screwed into with the colour marking are to the rear - so the mark remains visible when looking at the rear connection end of the gauge. (See picture)

Now install the instrument according to the enclosed VDO wiring diagram.

Tip: terminal 15, 31 and light, we can access fine the radio "fetch"

The temperature sensor is best attached on the front under the bumper bolted directly behind the licence plate.

To unscrew a screw of the licence plate bracket use the included angle sensor included with the terminals. The sensor is deliberately screwed into the angle that you can comfortably reach the bottom of the bolt with a ratchet / nut.

If the GREEN wire to be installed so that it "short," you can extend it any time.

Tip: The cable for the temperature sensor with the removed glove box well transit through the rubber, are led behind the battery. Some "lubricant" (lubricating oil, etc.) works wonders ...

Important Tip

If your instrument even with correct cabling does not work it seems to be "missing" the sensor, this occurs when the bumper does not have direct contact with the metallic body as a ground.

In this case, please place a separate ground wire from the sensor to the bracket body.
• Red wire - positive (terminal 15)
• Brown wire - Ground (Terminal 31)
• Yellow - light (connect it to the instrument lights / switches, then it is controlled via the gauge dimmer)
• Green wire (in kit) - Temperature Sensor
Please note the original circuit diagram of VDO for guidance.

If only she duse the centre fan with an additional instrument show (e.g. 3 times the air hose to replace the 2-fold in DC under the part number A107 831 01 88 air hose still available (price approx $1.00).

Of course it is also sufficient if they no longer requires connection of the air hose just tie (cable ties, etc)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts