Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1981 MBZ 240D
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again!

What's involved in removing the front springs to replace them? Any special tools? Anything to look out for? About how long will it take?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2x300D-83
54 Posts
I´ve replaced the front springs once using universal spring tools that are attached on the...

I´ve replaced the front springs once using universal spring tools that are attached on the outside. I had to use a hydraulic press to compess the springs a bit to reach the right length with the tensioners. You have to look on the car where the spring end is pointing in the lower seat to place the tensioners right. Also leave a bit in the upper end of spring that is going up in the rubber seat. You can remove the lower ball joint to get some more space. Put a hydraulic jack under the ball joint to lower it with. Be careful with the brake hose if you don`t remove the caliper.

The last time I changed springs though, I left the car at a shop with the RIGHT tools for it. It´s worth it when you don´t have to risk your life if something should go wrong. The special tool has two plates to be placed in the spring in both ends. Then a threaded axle is winded in from above through the hole in the upper spring seat. Maybe you can borrow those tools someplace if you are lycky.

I hope you understand my terrible technical english. My only excuse is I am Swedish!

Good luck / Anders

·
Registered
1981 MBZ 240D
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, I appreciate it.

I have compression tools for both strut and shock style tower...

Great, I appreciate it.

I have compression tools for both strut and shock style towers... So that's not an issue, I was more thinking Mercedes specific tools.

Shouldn't be an issue then, I've done it plenty of times on other cars, I just know that sometimes you can hit some "special" snags with the MBZ. :)

I appreciate the help, I understood every word, I think. :)

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Peformance motorcars has a set...

Of "Special" MB spring compressors. Not sure how they are any different than normal spring compressors. They cost around 500 bucks a set... What a rip off. I think they can be rented for cheaper though.

·
Registered
2x300D-83
54 Posts
There are non MB-specific tools that will fit. They usually comes with a numer of plates ...

There are non MB-specific tools that will fit. They usually comes with a numer of plates for different diameters on the springs. Those tensioners with a centre axel feels a lot safer than the ones who grabs the spring on the outside. And W123 front springs have quite small outer diameter and are also long uncompressed. As it sounds, you have both some experience and some tools too. So there will not be any trouble I think. Just watch your fingers!

Anders

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
Re: Peformance motorcars has a set...

Of "Special" MB spring compressors. Not sure how they are any different than normal spring compressors. They cost around 500 bucks a set... What a rip off. I think they can be rented for cheaper though.

Something about the curve on the way Mercedes springs are mounted that makes them dangerous. Have a pal who had the spring go straight throung the garage door when he thought it was secure. That being said I have seen springs removed from the local pick your part without tools. I would join the MBCA, usually someone has the spring tool and will rent it cheaply. More like $700 or more.

John Gregg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.