Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
22,659 Posts
Yes, that is an "aftermarket" windshield. PPG is the manufacturer for OEM glass, but unless sit has the three-pointed star, it's not true OEM. Are you the original owner? If not, maybe the previous owner had a cracked windshield and decided to replace it with $200 aftermarket glass w/o the rain sensor instead of paying $700+ for OEM glass with the sensor (an dyes, it is highway robbery that the extra little piece of plastic glued onto the glass costs $500).

As for the speed-sensitive option, I am wondering if there was a change to the SAM firmware that controls this. I know for a fact that with model year 2001 and prior, disconnecting the sensor module would result in the delay mode falling back to being speed sensitive. There were a few changes in MY2002 that may have affected this. I guess i could go out and unplug the sensor on my 2002 C240 and see what happens (I'll try this, maybe this weekend).

Anyhow, given the options, my guess is that you do in fact have the rain sensor option, just not the sensor itself. In fact, I wonder if it's actually still plugged in behind the mirror but without a lens? What does the windshield look like above the rearview mirror?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, that is an "aftermarket" windshield. PPG is the manufacturer for OEM glass, but unless sit has the three-pointed star, it's not true OEM. Are you the original owner? If not, maybe the previous owner had a cracked windshield and decided to replace it with $200 aftermarket glass w/o the rain sensor instead of paying $700+ for OEM glass with the sensor (an dyes, it is highway robbery that the extra little piece of plastic glued onto the glass costs $500).

As for the speed-sensitive option, I am wondering if there was a change to the SAM firmware that controls this. I know for a fact that with model year 2001 and prior, disconnecting the sensor module would result in the delay mode falling back to being speed sensitive. There were a few changes in MY2002 that may have affected this. I guess i could go out and unplug the sensor on my 2002 C240 and see what happens (I'll try this, maybe this weekend).

Anyhow, given the options, my guess is that you do in fact have the rain sensor option, just not the sensor itself. In fact, I wonder if it's actually still plugged in behind the mirror but without a lens? What does the windshield look like above the rearview mirror?
i am not the original owner. are the pictures i posted not loading for you? there is a blank spot where the sensor should be, there's paint covering the glass there.

·
22,659 Posts
i am not the original owner. are the pictures i posted not loading for you? there is a blank spot where the sensor should be, there's paint covering the glass there.
OK, now I see it. For some reason, I was only seeing the first two photos. You do in fact have the option and it is missing. My guess is that the prev. owner had the windshield replaced with the PPG glass that did not come with the rain sensor lens. The installer probably could not figure out how to deal with it, so he just painted over the opening and removed the sensor electronics. What you'll need is the lens and the sensor unit itself that clips onto the lens. You can get these form the dealer, but it's going to be pricey. Also, attaching the lens can be tricky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To turn off the sensor u can easily unplug it then it works as normal. I am not the original owner of my car and the windshiels has been replaced but i need the serial number if the rain sensor so i can search for the right one. Mine is a w203 2002 prefacelift

·
22,659 Posts
I believe this will be the part number: A2108205710. There are some variances by chassis number, so post your VIN and I can tell for sure. But, I don't think that part number comes with the plastic lens that attaches to the glass - that has to come on the windshield itself. As far as I know, the lens that the sensor attaches to is not available as an individual part. I think you will need to replace your windshield to get this, or, contact a local glass company to see if they might be able to help, like taking one off of a broken windshield. The problem I've heard is that the lens has to have a perfectly clear bond to the glass with no bubbles or distortion or else it will cause false signals.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts