Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
C240WMT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to change the rain sensor option back to intermittent wipers? A quick search reveals that the rain sensor option on MB seems to be problematic. I have a 2003, C240WMT and the rain sensor works for about 2-3 minutes then just behaves like it's on setting 2 all the time. Other times it's raining fairly heavily and it gives a wipe every 5 seconds.

I've cleaned the sensor area with alcohol and replaced the wipers. It didn't help much.

I would much prefer just intermittent wipers to this. Is it possible?

On a 2003 C240WMT the wiper stalk has four settings:

0 - Off
I - Intermittent wiper (if no rain sensor option, otherwise uses rain sensor)
II - Normal speed
III - Fast speed

Thanks for any help.
-VS

·
Registered
2012 C300 4Matic
178 Posts
Is there a way to change the rain sensor option back to intermittent wipers? A quick search reveals that the rain sensor option on MB seems to be problematic. I have a 2003, C240WMT and the rain sensor works for about 2-3 minutes then just behaves like it's on setting 2 all the time. Other times it's raining fairly heavily and it gives a wipe every 5 seconds.

I've cleaned the sensor area with alcohol and replaced the wipers. It didn't help much.

0 - Off
II - Normal speed
III - Fast speed

Thanks for any help.
-VS
I don't have the answer to your question, but maybe something is wrong with your sensor? (I have an 05 and unless they changed how it works in 05 I have to say mine works absolutely wonderfully).

Heres an idea: Soon after getting my car I used a glass polish on the windshield (including rain sensor area) followed by some rain-x and it seems to work a lot better. Maybe worth a shot.

·
Registered
'07 C230 - '06 SLK350
3 Posts

0 - Off
II - Normal speed
III - Fast speed

Thanks for any help.
-VS
you can remove the cover on the sensor by grabbing the big square part of the cover behind your rear mirror and gently lifting it off. once off just unplug the harnes and replace the cover it just snaps on, once this is done it works like a reg. wiper. check to be sure that the headlight sensor is not part of the rain sensor I think it was integrated in '06 but not sure, you can test it by waiting until it gets dark I guess.

·
Registered
C240WMT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Removing it will not give you intermittent wipers. If you remove the rain sensor module position I does nothing. Positions II and III remain the same. So I essentially have what your suggestion already if I don't use position I.

What I want to know is if i'ts possible to install the intermittent wipers in place of the [email protected] rain sensor rubbish?

UPDATE: I purchased a brand new rain sensor module and installed it. It's somewhat less flaky, but still not good.

I guess Scotty was right, "the more complicated you make things, the easier it is to throw a monkey wrench into the works".

--Victor

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
22,102 Posts
Disconnecting the optical sensor module on the windshield should put the system into "default" mode where position I is intermittent based on vehicle speed.

I will say that I like the older rain sensor system MBZ used with a multi-eye sensor. The W163 M-Class was the last vehicle to use this and it was much more accurate. Also, it did not swipe the wipers on start-up if the stalk control was in position I. I also would like to see a sensitivity adjustment. My BMW had that and so does my wife's Nissan. Still, I prefer a sometimes flaky sensor to an always dumb intermittent control.

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
Disconnecting the optical sensor module on the windshield should put the system into "default" mode where position I is intermittent based on vehicle speed.

I will say that I like the older rain sensor system MBZ used with a multi-eye sensor. The W163 M-Class was the last vehicle to use this and it was much more accurate. Also, it did not swipe the wipers on start-up if the stalk control was in position I. I also would like to see a sensitivity adjustment. My BMW had that and so does my wife's Nissan. Still, I prefer a sometimes flaky sensor to an always dumb intermittent control.
Something must have changed in 2004 - my 2004 Coupe had a warning about leaving it in 1 in the owner's manual, but it wouldn't do an extra swipe if left in 1.

·
Registered
1994 C180 Esprit, 2002 C200 Kompressor Elegance
145 Posts

0 - Off
II - Normal speed
III - Fast speed

Thanks for any help.
-VS
Dooood NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lol Seriously this is probably my favorite option on my car, get it checked out and fixed. I have a 2002 C200 Kompressor and it works flawleslly I love it to death, don't do it man lol

·
Registered
C200 Kompressor Wagon 2003
21 Posts
I would say its a faulty sensor, I had my windscreen replaced recently after that it never worked the same. I contacted the insurer / windscreen people and they ordered a new sensor for free.

Now works 100%, the windscreen guy did say thats some MB rain sensors just stop working!

·
22,102 Posts
Something must have changed in 2004 - my 2004 Coupe had a warning about leaving it in 1 in the owner's manual, but it wouldn't do an extra swipe if left in 1.
My 2002 C240 will swipe once upon turning the ignition switch on if the wiper control is left in position 1. This is meant as a "reminder" that the rain sensor mode is on, but it's not really a good idea to run the wiper on a dry windshield, so maybe this was changed. I have some documentation that might give us a clue as to when. On my 2001 ML320, it did not give a reminder swipe, but it also would not switch to high-speed mode automatically. Then again, it used a different control setup with a single AAM instead of the three SAM's on the W203.

·
22,102 Posts
I would say its a faulty sensor, I had my windscreen replaced recently after that it never worked the same. I contacted the insurer / windscreen people and they ordered a new sensor for free.

Now works 100%, the windscreen guy did say thats some MB rain sensors just stop working!
MBZ recommends using a genuine factory replacement windshield with the rain sensor lens already attached because of this very problem. It is possible to order a lens and the adhesive to attach it to an aftermarket windshield, but the results are usually not so great. Any bubbles or distortion in the adhesive can cause the sensor to malfunction.

·
Registered
C200 Kompressor Wagon 2003
21 Posts
Mine was a genuine factory replacement, here in Australia the rain sensor lens doesn't come fitted only the bracketry to fit it to does!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
My 2002 C240 will swipe once upon turning the ignition switch on if the wiper control is left in position 1. This is meant as a "reminder" that the rain sensor mode is on, but it's not really a good idea to run the wiper on a dry windshield, so maybe this was changed. I have some documentation that might give us a clue as to when. On my 2001 ML320, it did not give a reminder swipe, but it also would not switch to high-speed mode automatically. Then again, it used a different control setup with a single AAM instead of the three SAM's on the W203.
To really confuse things, the owner's manual says it will do a swipe on startup, but it didn't. So maybe it was a mid-year change? The front SAM was original and as far as I know it's the controlling unit for the intermittent wipers.

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes-Benz S500, 1982 300SD, and about 4 other parts cars in rubbermaid bins in the garage
306 Posts
There is a option in the SDS to re-normalize the rain sensor.

I had the same issue with out C230 Couper scooper that wedumped for a 05 S500 a few weeks ago. Actually kept the rain sensor from that car to play with lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I replaced the windshield on my C180 2004 last year and the new one came with a rain sensor. Is there a way to enabled this function on my car?

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport
39 Posts
My INT function was not operating on my 2006. I took it in and was told that the W/S was replaced with an aftermarket piece. Was told the aftermarket W/S did not have the sensor in it? Is the sensor actually built into the W/S or is it a piece that attaches to the inside? There does seem to be some type of sensor that is attached to the W/S where the rearview mirror is located. Is that the sensor and if not what does that do? The car was under warranty when I took it in for the INT function not working.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Both. There is a prism attached to the windshield, and the sensor has to be transferred from the old windshield. If they ordered the wrong windshield or did not transfer the sensor you would have no INT function.

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport
39 Posts
Just my luck. Never thought about having that checked before I bought the car. Oh well, I guess I will jhave to wait until my W/S cracks so I can get a new one via insurance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
my c32 came without a rainsensor, but i do not notice the intermittent speed I ever changing based on vehicle speed.

MBZ recommends using a genuine factory replacement windshield with the rain sensor lens already attached because of this very problem. It is possible to order a lens and the adhesive to attach it to an aftermarket windshield, but the results are usually not so great. Any bubbles or distortion in the adhesive can cause the sensor to malfunction.
could you please provide more info for this retrofit?

·
22,102 Posts
If your car doesn't have the rain sensor, it's not really going to be possible to add it. Even if you replaced the windshield with one that has the sensor lens attached (either OEM or aftermarket), then you still have to add the actual electronic sensor part and there would be nothing for it to attach to, i.e. the rain sensor wiring is not there. Often, you will find that the rain sensor comes with certain options, like a sunroof or the rear sunscreen. This is because they combine features into one wiring harness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your car doesn't have the rain sensor, it's not really going to be possible to add it. Even if you replaced the windshield with one that has the sensor lens attached (either OEM or aftermarket), then you still have to add the actual electronic sensor part and there would be nothing for it to attach to, i.e. the rain sensor wiring is not there. Often, you will find that the rain sensor comes with certain options, like a sunroof or the rear sunscreen. This is because they combine features into one wiring harness.
well the strange thing is that my c32 is fully loaded. nav, xenon, headlight washers, sunroof, rear sunscreen, heated seats, phone.

i was under the impression that the rain sensor easily plugs into the overhead console.

also you did not comment on the speed function.

here is my windshield, i dont know if its OEM (bought car used)

interestingly the rear windshield has a mercedes logo

and here is the missing sensor, the location has a bracket, but it's painted over, you can see the paint chipped where the light is coming through

1 - 20 of 26 Posts