Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had read something about removing the switch without door panel removal, since there's an access panel in the door. The switch assembly is held on by two tabs (one each leading and trailing side), and a single T20 torx head screw. It also has a single electrical connector.

Problem is, there's very little access, I mean VERY little. And the actual screw is hiding. None of my screwdriver or socket sets worked. Even went to Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbour Freight) to get a few different ones including a flexible driver extension. Also picked up a set of torx headed allen keys, which aren't always fun to use. Anyway, they were the only solution that worked. I didn't know what the head size was (T20), so that slowed me down. BTW, the screw doesn't fall out due to the plastic around that hides it. Doing it this way it's still not easy, but beats removing the whole door panel, at least for me.

Anyway, remove the access panel on the door, remove the screw, push the tab towards where the screw was, push on the back of the switch assembly (not the door bracket where the screw is) and rotate the leading edge of the switch assembly away from the door panel. You still have the other tab (impossible to reach), but the switch does come out with a bit of caution. Don't forget to disconnect the connector once the switch assembly is clear of the door panel.

Once the switch is out I was able to free my stuck rear power window lockout button. There are videos on the disassembly of the switch on You tube. Careful, the tabs that hold the window switches like to break, and sometimes they jam the lockout switch. You can also now get some of the individual buttons online.

Oh, the most important part - PIC!

(tags: remove power window lock mirror switch assembly 2006-2011 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 w245 mercedes benz b200 b150 b170 b200CDI no door panel card removal without)

edit: Couldn't rotate pic and my edited pic with arrows and text isn't working.

ANOTHER edit: DON'T DROP THE ALLEN KEY. I did and I ALMOST lost it, luckily it didn't fall far. Tie some tape and/or string to it and your hand lol!

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
990 Posts
I have a couple of WIS pages printed, and a new replacement switch pack ready (folding mirrors mod), but haven't yet attempted the swap.
Thanks for sharing this - very useful.

·
Registered
2006 B200T
920 Posts
Thanks for the indepth description, warnings and pic. My lockout button was also stuck, but I just blasted it with a shot of keyboard cleaner to get it nice and cold and then torched it with a hairdryer and the heat and cold caused it to shrink and expand enough to pop it free. Plastic tab broke from buttons and slid in between the plastic jamming it up.

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plastic tab broke from buttons and slid in between the plastic jamming it up.
Seems everytime the button jams that is the cause. At least three times so far (on two different switches).

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
7,724 Posts
It's like looking at a the insides of a delicate Swiss watch but with everything made of very thin plastic.

I thought that I could fix one for a 'kind soul' here but it would never last. Far too delicate and very thin plastic pieces and no room available to add strength.. Never built to be repaired..

·
Outstanding Contributor
990 Posts
When I was looking for a 2-door switch pack with mirror folding option for my coupé, I just couldn't find one for a reasonable price, in the condition I was happy with, so I bought a basically new 4-door one, with a view to swap the innards ... naturally, as soon as I bought it, I found a 2-door switch in perfect condition, and bought that one too.

So, I now have a perfectly good 4-door pack (same as in W245) which I do not need.

If anyone wants it - please PM me :smile

·
Registered
2007 B Class
1 Posts
Quick question will replacing this door panel fix that my lock bottoms in my car only lock at first but doesnt unlock so the only way is pulling the handle from inside or switching off the engine and pull the key out so I can unlock with the key from inside. Any suggestion? A fuse or anything

·
Outstanding Contributor
990 Posts
Sounds like you might have a damaged connector under the unlock button.

I no longer have the switch pack shown above (gave it to a friend), but you can always find a replacement unit - from about £35 for a new aftermarket one, to roughly £50 - £75 for a good condition used OEM.

If the unlock button feels loose or uneven in its movement, it could be damaged. You can try replacing just the button, but the switch pack is not designed with this in mind, so the process is extremely fiddly, as already mentioned in this thread.

Actually, I just checked the button (yes, I do have most of my car's buttons as spares, and yes I know it's sad, haha) - shouldn't be that difficult to replace:

(if it is indeed the button, and not the circuitry in the switch pack, for example, or the wiring between the pack and the SAM, etc, etc).

·
Outstanding Contributor
990 Posts
You can, but you'll have to source the donor part from breakers - Mercedes won't sell the inner parts separately, only a complete switch pack as a unit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts