Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
1989 300E & 1991 300CE
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I tried searching in you tube on how to remove door panels specifically for 1991 300 ce and found nothing for a ce. Can someone out there who has done this without damaging any clips or fastener. I was able to remove everything that needs to be remove (ex. control knobs, screws on handle, control frames, etc. But, unable to lift up in order to remove door panel from door itself. Is there someone that had done this before? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

W163 and General M Gremlin
Door panels on all w124 use the same upside-down J clips.

Follow the instructions here

With all screws,door handle bolt, etc removed.....
Lift straight up. DO NOT pull back towards your body, otherwise, expect broken J-clips.
It can be tight when doing so. Where they can catch, to prevent lifting, is at the top of the panel where there are 4-5 (on yours) metal c-type clips that secure the top edge to the door frame (where the rubber seal is along that edge). These typical make it tight when lifting the panel.

To get it loose, you can use a rubber mallet and carefully tap the underside of the armrest to loosen the panel, as you use upward pressure lifting straight up.
It's a one-man job, but if you have an xtra set of hands, it helps.

CE door panel
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.16.48 PM.png

door frame of a 4 dr sedan, rear - arrows indicate where the c-clips of the panel are fastened to.
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.35.08 PM.png

Registered
W124
The panels usually are stuck due to the clips along the very top edge.

Registered
1989 300E & 1991 300CE
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Door panels on all w124 use the same upside-down J clips.

Follow the instructions here

With all screws,door handle bolt, etc removed.....
Lift straight up. DO NOT pull back towards your body, otherwise, expect broken J-clips.
It can be tight when doing so. Where they can catch, to prevent lifting, is at the top of the panel where there are 4-5 (on yours) metal c-type clips that secure the top edge to the door frame (where the rubber seal is along that edge). These typical make it tight when lifting the panel.

To get it loose, you can use a rubber mallet and carefully tap the underside of the armrest to loosen the panel, as you use upward pressure lifting straight up.
It's a one-man job, but if you have an xtra set of hands, it helps.

CE door panel
View attachment 2696011

door frame of a 4 dr sedan, rear - arrows indicate where the c-clips of the panel are fastened to.
View attachment 2696012
Hello,

Thanks for replying and pictures. It really help. I was able to take off panel. But a small clip fell on the floor and can't seem to figure out where ie belongs. Please advise me if you know where it belongs. Thank you again.

Attachments

Sorry, Have not seen a clip like that, in my past re& re on these.

EDIT:
remove the door panel of the other side (good practice) and see what you can find that matches on that door frame. (what are the chances the same part falls out....) ;)

Registered
1989 300E & 1991 300CE
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, Have not seen a clip like that, in my past re& re on these.

EDIT:
remove the door panel of the other side (good practice) and see what you can find that matches on that door frame. (what are the chances the same part falls out....) ;)
I guess I'll have to see the other door and hope that the clip does not fall as well. haha...:D
Thanks again for replying. (y)

Registered
12 odyssey (90k) 1995 E320 wagon (307k) 1983 500se (172k) 1995 Cabrio (123k)
Thought it was for window regulator, but not sure now...

Registered
W124
Never saw one of those but it shouldn't be hard to place it. Looks like it snaps in place across a plastic casting or to hold a connector. But like I said, I never saw one of those inside a 124 door before.

Registered
1989 300E & 1991 300CE
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Never saw one of those but it shouldn't be hard to place it. Looks like it snaps in place across a plastic casting or to hold a connector. But like I said, I never saw one of those inside a 124 door before.
Hello again! I took off the other door and found that the clip is part of the opening latch of the door. Since I had all door panels off, I decided to check all conditions of plastic sliding clips, clean window gears and lubricated them since I had the panels off. Found that one of the two larger plastic clips on the very bottom of the driver side broke off. I measured the actual distance between the two large clips from the other door panel to be 24" apart. I then used JB weld to glue it in place and measured 24" to be exact when I put the panel back in place. Let it dry for 24 hours and will move to fixing a crack on both wood trim on door panels and shift knob wood trim. Also reinforced the screws for cup holders with speed nut and glued it with gorilla glue. The wood trim on cup holder were zebrano style, when all my wood trims were burl. So, rather than staining it to a burl wood style, I found a burl wood sticker on line and used that instead. Will post pictures now and down the road when completed.

Attachments

While you have the panels off, check all the plastic rivets that hold the armrest in place onto the cardboard panel.
Overtime, those tend to lose their fastening ability, or break. There's a few threads/tutorials on BW explaining how-to secure these in place, for the long term.

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 9.38.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 9.38.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 9.39.18 PM.png

1 - 10 of 10 Posts