Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 S500. Personally I don't like the command system, it's user unfriendly and I want to remove the stock am/fm, tape, nav unit and replace it with an all new aftermarket system. I want to know what, if any, issues i'll have with anything. Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this for me? Thanks

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have an 01 S500. Personally I don't like the command system, it's user unfriendly and I want to remove the stock am/fm, tape, nav unit and replace it with an all new aftermarket system. I want to know what, if any, issues i'll have with anything. Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this for me? Thanks
Everything you want to know about this is right above you in the sticky marked Encyclopedia.. It's fairly well documented.

Your car has a D2B fiber optic bus. Basically if you want to add an aftermarket nav you will need to buy a new bezel, a dash kit, a wiring harness (or cut up your factory harness), a new amp (Or try to find a fiber optic converter), a CANBUS module if you want steering wheel controls, and with a new amp you will need all new speakers. This will also make your phone system, CD changer, teleaid and various Comand functions like the time on the guage cluster and the ability to set the speedo for tire changes a thing of the past.. though I am sure the last two can be set by the dealer..

There are a few builds on here but they have all gone well into the thousands..

I myself recently took my unit out and replaced it with the 2003 Comand MOPF.. this unit is losely based on the Comand 2.0 builds (You have Comand 2.5) but it is actually NOT Comand 2.0, it just shares part of the wiring. If I had to rate it in a numbered sense like the last two it would be a Comand 3.0.. but instead it is named MOPF (Some refer to it as APS, but actually the APS is the MOST bus unit, which you can't use.) it is a widescreen navigation unit with the same features as the original but alot newer looking and ofcourse widescreen.. This route only cost me a few hundred dollars, though I am having issues with the navigation cutting out due to the speed signal that is routed thru the CANBUS.. looks like I am either going to have to start swapping out CANBUS modules for 2003 versions or purchase a speed signal converter from Sweden. I will probably be ordering the converter from Sweden tomorrow, which is almost a few hundred dollars right there.. I have thought about whether or not I should have gone the aftermarket route but I have to say, I like the stock look, the factory features retained and the Bose system does sound very good, I have seen alot of aftermarket systems with very good components but without being matched correctly they don't sound anywhere as good as a matched system.. there is a very fine art to building a good sounding system..

If you decide to do either of these swaps let me know as I am very quickly becoming an expert on these cars as I am burried in the vehicle's schematics most days for atleast a few hours.. I can tell you one thing, compared to most other vehicles there is not much information out there on this car's sound system.. meaning, if you go below the skin and not just plug things in, you will find there is nobody out there that knows anything about how these things actually work in this car..

·
Registered
678 Posts
Check out Cartronics for direct fit upgrade replacement units... touch screen and all...

CarTronics, the Leading Authority on Vehicle Electronics

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wow, I just checked out Cartronics...$$$$$. While they have a lot of options therer, I would dig around the site, especially the recent posts by cmpcpro. There seems to be many more cost effective ways to upgrade your system tastefully.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually, you are in luck as I just replaced the COMAND unit in my dads 2001 S500!

FYI: you do not need to get new speakers and the rumors of the bizarre impedance are from somewhere on something. I did not encounter it. I think people used a multimeter to measure the current speakers. This will not give you the actual speaker impedance but the speaker DC resistance. There is a a difference and its an important one. As, a speaker may be rated for an impedance of say, 8 ohms, but a multimeter will show 6.3 Ohm. Why? The impedance is measured with a frequency injected in order to have both capacitive and inductive reactances generated, which then, after an equation, will yield the "impedance". Typically, a speaker/driver is measured at 1kHz. But, some manufacturers provide a "sweep" chart.

FYI2: A car driver will typically have an impedance of 4 ohms. So, a "bizarre" DC resistance of around 2, maybe lower if its a tweeter, would not be unusual.

This is a serious undertaking and most certainly not for the faint of heart. If this is your first car-radio install, I suggest budgeting about four weekends to complete the job. Seriously. It's that involved.

We replaced the COMAND with a Pioneer X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM, and a Rockford Fosgate R600-5, CANPULSE2. If you need info, look the bits up on Amazon. But, I will have some rationalizations after the "steps".

Any ways, I will give a brief breakdown of what we did below, "days" are 8 hours (+/-):

1) The first thing we did was safely remove the COMAND system up front, and then the associated bits in the rear: disc-changer, amp, etc. This is a lot of work as you have to remove the interior of the trunk and take it all out. About a day.

2) Ran new audio cables to the rear. This was a big job as removing the interior panels can be tricky as you don't want to break the retention tabs. Also, getting the cables into the trunk was also tricky and we had to use a line to pull them through. Half-day.

3) Fabricated a bracket to mount he Rockford Fosgate amp. It's much bigger than the original one. We chose to mount it on the corssbrace that is between the gas tank and trunk. This took awhile as the determination of where to put it, plus removing the crossbrace, modifying it with the amp mount, test fits, and reintsall. Took about a day.

4) Had to find all the signals that I needed for the amp. This was a weekend in itself as I had to find the info online. Then, read all the schematics I could find to determine what was what to do what I needed it to do. Two-days.

5) Make all the wire looms for the new system. Another weekend. This is not easy as I had to unwrap the existing wire looms, separate specific wires that I needed, and then recombine them. Plus, I wanted to make it look "stock" so I bought cloth friction tape to wrap the new looms with. Looks awesome. Two-days.

6) Starting to install it all: first the amp. It will not fit like you thought and you will have to back and forth to make it fit. Plus, routing the wires to make it look decent. A day.

7) Head unit install. Very complicated. Since you will have to route the GPS antenna, XM antenna if you want XM, external mic (can't use the stock one), make space for additional cable bundles required for iPhone interface, XM radio, etc. I'd say two-days, maybe more, I forgot, but its a PITA to reroute all new wires for antennas and what not.

8) NOT YET COMPLETED: Install the SWI-PS to utilize the steering wheel control buttons. Probably a day as I will have to take out the X930BT to interface to it.

How does it currently sound: Awesome. Much better than than the stock COMAND and amp. Literally blew me away while I was driving it. Brought a smile and giggle and made the whole insane effort worth it.

Pioneer X930BT: Has bluetooth, decent nav system, recent so things like XM and traffic radio add-on's are actually available. Also supports external inputs and an external monitor. Also, you can choose your button colors! I was able to make it match the red-orange of the S500 almost exactly! Oh, also has a removable screen. $520 plus $100 for the XM.

Rockford Fostgate amp: It can drive a 2 ohm speaker, has five channels (four channels plus sub), and is about $200.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Actually, you are in luck as I just replaced the COMAND unit in my dads 2001 S500!

FYI: you do not need to get new speakers and the rumors of the bizarre impedance are from somewhere on something. I did not encounter it. I think people used a multimeter to measure the current speakers. This will not give you the actual speaker impedance but the speaker DC resistance. There is a a difference and its an important one. As, a speaker may be rated for an impedance of say, 8 ohms, but a multimeter will show 6.3 Ohm. Why? The impedance is measured with a frequency injected in order to have both capacitive and inductive reactances generated, which then, after an equation, will yield the "impedance". Typically, a speaker/driver is measured at 1kHz. But, some manufacturers provide a "sweep" chart.

FYI2: A car driver will typically have an impedance of 4 ohms. So, a "bizarre" DC resistance of around 2, maybe lower if its a tweeter, would not be unusual.

This is a serious undertaking and most certainly not for the faint of heart. If this is your first car-radio install, I suggest budgeting about four weekends to complete the job. Seriously. It's that involved.

We replaced the COMAND with a Pioneer X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM, and a Rockford Fosgate R600-5, CANPULSE2. If you need info, look the bits up on Amazon. But, I will have some rationalizations after the "steps".

Any ways, I will give a brief breakdown of what we did below, "days" are 8 hours (+/-):

1) The first thing we did was safely remove the COMAND system up front, and then the associated bits in the rear: disc-changer, amp, etc. This is a lot of work as you have to remove the interior of the trunk and take it all out. About a day.

2) Ran new audio cables to the rear. This was a big job as removing the interior panels can be tricky as you don't want to break the retention tabs. Also, getting the cables into the trunk was also tricky and we had to use a line to pull them through. Half-day.

3) Fabricated a bracket to mount he Rockford Fosgate amp. It's much bigger than the original one. We chose to mount it on the corssbrace that is between the gas tank and trunk. This took awhile as the determination of where to put it, plus removing the crossbrace, modifying it with the amp mount, test fits, and reintsall. Took about a day.

4) Had to find all the signals that I needed for the amp. This was a weekend in itself as I had to find the info online. Then, read all the schematics I could find to determine what was what to do what I needed it to do. Two-days.

5) Make all the wire looms for the new system. Another weekend. This is not easy as I had to unwrap the existing wire looms, separate specific wires that I needed, and then recombine them. Plus, I wanted to make it look "stock" so I bought cloth friction tape to wrap the new looms with. Looks awesome. Two-days.

6) Starting to install it all: first the amp. It will not fit like you thought and you will have to back and forth to make it fit. Plus, routing the wires to make it look decent. A day.

7) Head unit install. Very complicated. Since you will have to route the GPS antenna, XM antenna if you want XM, external mic (can't use the stock one), make space for additional cable bundles required for iPhone interface, XM radio, etc. I'd say two-days, maybe more, I forgot, but its a PITA to reroute all new wires for antennas and what not.

8) NOT YET COMPLETED: Install the SWI-PS to utilize the steering wheel control buttons. Probably a day as I will have to take out the X930BT to interface to it.

How does it currently sound: Awesome. Much better than than the stock COMAND and amp. Literally blew me away while I was driving it. Brought a smile and giggle and made the whole insane effort worth it.

Pioneer X930BT: Has bluetooth, decent nav system, recent so things like XM and traffic radio add-on's are actually available. Also supports external inputs and an external monitor. Also, you can choose your button colors! I was able to make it match the red-orange of the S500 almost exactly! Oh, also has a removable screen. $520 plus $100 for the XM.

Rockford Fostgate amp: It can drive a 2 ohm speaker, has five channels (four channels plus sub), and is about $200.
I am glad to hear about the speakers only being a rumor, and I want to elaborate I don't intend any disrespect, but I have to greatly disagree on your times.. Maybe you have never done a car stereo before but removing the head unit (Comand) infront takes about 4-5 minutes, it's four screws. Remvoing the amp/CDC/PSE/VR in the trunk is maybe 10 minutes max, not a day! You only need to remove the trim around the CDC, which just pops out, then two plastic clips and one screw for an interior hook and the whole side of the trunk lining comes right out, then there are five screws holding everything in. Runing the lines from front to back again is very simple. You run them from the drivers side door sils. Pop off the plastic pieces and run them under the carpet where it meets the side of the car, they can easily be fished through to the back with a coat hanger from the side of the seat. Push up on the seat firmly while pushing the wires under it, then pop back on the plastic door jam covers to hide them.. make sure the wires don't get caught in the clips! Running the amp wires will be super easy becasue the battery is in the trunk.. ten minutes tops.. the RCA's and amp wakeup can do down the side like I stated.. the wires for the stereo can be taken from the factory Comand power plug, the canbus wires are in the larger connector (NOT the largest connector). Setting up the can adapter for wheel controls can go very quickly or sometimes be a bear.. tops an hour with trouble.. I am sorry, again I don't mean any disrespect but this job is a one day job for someone who has atleast put in a few systems.. even if you have never done one before I couldn't see how it could take longer than a weekend..

I have seen a few systems go into these cars and helped with one, not including my own.. it's actually easier than most cars because the battery is in the trunk, you don't have to run that big fat amp cable through the car..

Also, XM antenna can be ran under the dash, on top of dash, up a pillar and two sided taped behind rear view mirror, or ran down side of car like above and velcroed to accesory tray behind rear seat.. that is where I have mine.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Also have not seen how the gas tank is mounted in this car yet, but I am not so sure you want the amp right on the gas tank.. if that is how it is..

·
Registered
507 Posts
You don't mean to disrespect? But, you just did, you're too much cmpcpro!

The guy already finished the job and took the time to explain how he did it, for the benefit of the forum. The time it takes "him" 10 days or 1 day is irrelevant, and nothing really takes 10 minutes in these cars. I think you owe an apology to the fellow member.

And please, no need to "quote" when everybody knows what you're replying to.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You don't mean to disrespect? But, you just did, you're too much cmpcpro!

The guy already finished the job and took the time to explain how he did it, for the benefit of the forum. The time it takes "him" 10 days or 1 day is irrelevant, and nothing really takes 10 minutes in these cars. I think you owe an apology to the fellow member.

And please, no need to "quote" when everybody knows what you're replying to.
Excuse me? I clearly stated I didn't mean any disrespect. I clearly explained if he wants to take 4 weekends to finish this job that is his choice. I have no problem with that, infact that is quite the dedication. He is claiming however this is a 4 weekend job at 8 hours a day, when it's just not the case. Again, if he wants to take his time, and explore and see how things work, the more power to him, that is great, but to tell people who are considering this swap that it's such a big job it will take 4 weekends will greatly discourage others from doing this swap. He isn't even changing the speakers. He is talking about a HU swap and an amp/sat install. He mentioned taking the amp/cd changer out as being a one day job, when I just did the same thing in about 15 minutes. Again, I am not calling him a liar, or incompitent I am clearly stating this just isn't the case, unless you are really dragging it out, or are not following any directions and just pulling on things.. I have been installing car audio systems for many many years, and I just finished swapping in the Comand MOPF unit in my car, not to mention retrofitting the phone PSE system. I have learned a great deal about this system, the canbus, and the D2B fiber optic system in this car. I think I am qualified to speak here as I have done exactly that. I am not here to call someone out, I just don't want others to see this and be afraid to tackle this swap. When I was reading up on the MOPF I found a great deal of miss-information, and I decided to go ahead and do it anyway, and I am so glad I did! I am also glad I was able to share that information for others. The same thing with the phone system, nobody knew or cared to document just how to use the fiber optic loop/chain. I had to figure it out myself.

Second, I don't appreciate being called out by you. You are not a moderator, nor the person I was talking to. If the OP has a problem with my response or feels I was disrespectful he can let me know and I will again explain that is entirely not the case. I have never been disrespectful to anyone on this board, and I have tried to help as much as possible. I have only been here a month and have already figured out a few things that have not been mentioned here in 10+ years. I am sorry, but I don't feel this is your place to tell me I am being disrespectful or that I owe someone an apology. Reguarding the quoting system, that is what it is for. If you would have used it in my 18" wheel thread I wouldn't have had to have guessed if you were talking to me reguarding the wheels being genuine.

Reguarding the person I was talking to above: Again, if my above reply seemed disrespectful I am very sorry, that is not what I meant. I know everyone has their own pace, and I realize there are people out there who may like to go very slow as to not make any mistakes. The only reason I responded was because I didn't want anyone, including the OP who may be thinking about this swap to become discouraged thinking it is a month long job. Maybe I took it a little personal because I had to fish through alot of miss-information doing my swap, but to most people who have done stereo swaps before (If they haven't then maybe they shouldn't be trying to install a navigation unit in this car) shouldn't have a problem getting this job done in a day, two tops.

·
Registered
507 Posts
cmpcpro: Most of us here are not professionals and don't do this for a living. If you're a car stereo guy and it takes you 8 times less time, I think thats the way it should be, you're a pro and have done it before. No reason to jump all over that and write 1000 word reply.

I replaced stuff in my car and performed maintenance (many thanks to this forum) and I am sure a person who does this for a living will perform the same tasks 4-5 times faster. Does it matter to me? no, do I regret doing it because it took me much longer than it should? no, does it make me want to go to the dealer the next time? never!

This is my car and I really do enjoy doing necessary repairs to it. I am here because I can gather great knowledge shared here by the fellow members and share my actual experiences with members in search of help when ever I can. Sure, there are some invalid info shared, we can sift through them with our own research.

I must also mention your contributions to the forum and I think it is great to have you here. I am sure we'll continue to be Benz Buddies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
People, calm down... everyone works at different speeds.

I still feel that my quoted times are going to be accurate for someone who is going to go the DIY route. Without any previous experience on an S500 you will be doing a lot of exploring. And, you will want to take your time as using something like a screwdriver, if gone awry, can rip leather. Or, pulling too hard on a body panel can break clips preventing them from fitting back in right. Plastic gets brittle as it gets older and this is a 10 year old car. I'm still "exploring" as I want to know the stock sub crossover point, get the AM/FM antenna to turn on (remote wire did not work, might be a 5v logic signal?), and maybe install the traffic radio for it.

That being said, nothing on this car is 10 minutes, aside from removing the COMAND unit from upfront. If I were to do this again, it would go much faster, as I know where to put things, I now know which color-coded wires do what, and I would do some things differently. And, each install will be different. I had to install the double-din headunit, the XM radio module (which is almost 1/2 DIN), the Pioneer "network" cable between the two, power to the XM radio, XM and GPS antennas, headunit to USB with audio cable, iPhone cradle cable, new external microphone cable and find a nice and subtle position for it, the parking brake cable (or bypass it like I did), etc.

Plus, I have seen "installs" done by professional places and they do not always take the time that I would. I created brand new wire looms from the existing ones and I do not like to use "crimp" connectors, I buy solder-type connectors and use heat shrink. I separated the correct wires, rerouted as necessary, and then taped them back up again with "friction" tape. When you pull the front unit out you don't see a spaghetti bowl of colored wires, you don't see wads of wires pushed back in crevices, etc. What you see are several looms, neatly wrapped, each one going to a connector, no stranglers. It looks like MB did it themselves which is what I was going for. I also did the same for the trunk.

I also had to run 3 pairs of RCAs for all the outputs of the headunit and I used my favorite interconnect wire-type: Quad Shield RG6! This stuff is a little thick and sometimes can be inflexible. But, it's shielded and has a nice and thick center conductor.

Everything else that was not to be used I cut and then used heatshrink on the ends, pulled them back, and folded them over and zip tied them to a body brace or the like to prevent them from rattling.

I could have gone a lot faster, used crimp connectors, and then smashed the headunit into the mass of wires behind it like BestBuy or CircuitCity used too. But, that's not how I do things.

Oh, also, you don't need to run a remote turn on wire. There is a black wire with a gray stripe that can be used as it is "on" when the car key is turned to the Accessory position. In the trunk you will find two of those, I created a separate loom for the extra one in case we need to put something back there.

·
Registered
719 Posts
cmpcpro: Most of us here are not professionals and don't do this for a living. If you're a car stereo guy and it takes you 8 times less time, I think thats the way it should be, you're a pro and have done it before. No reason to jump all over that and write 1000 word reply.

I replaced stuff in my car and performed maintenance (many thanks to this forum) and I am sure a person who does this for a living will perform the same tasks 4-5 times faster. Does it matter to me? no, do I regret doing it because it took me much longer than it should? no, does it make me want to go to the dealer the next time? never!

This is my car and I really do enjoy doing necessary repairs to it. I am here because I can gather great knowledge shared here by the fellow members and share my actual experiences with members in search of help when ever I can. Sure, there are some invalid info shared, we can sift through them with our own research.

I must also mention your contributions to the forum and I think it is great to have you here. I am sure we'll continue to be Benz Buddies.
Actually I don't do this for a living, just have done it over the years for myself and friends.. again, I just didn't want anyone thinking this is a four weekend job like stated above. That is all. I realise everyone goes at their own pace, and I am sure the OP did an absolutely astonishing job, but the next person who buys a W220 and looks and sees 4 weekend job may go, No thank you! I almost did so with my swap and I cannot tell you how glad I am I did it.. it makes the interior look a million times better to me. I get a smile everytime I get inside..

I'm sure we'll be great friends.. I have no problems with anyone here.. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
People, calm down... everyone works at different speeds.

I still feel that my quoted times are going to be accurate for someone who is going to go the DIY route. Without any previous experience on an S500 you will be doing a lot of exploring. And, you will want to take your time as using something like a screwdriver, if gone awry, can rip leather. Or, pulling too hard on a body panel can break clips preventing them from fitting back in right. Plastic gets brittle as it gets older and this is a 10 year old car. I'm still "exploring" as I want to know the stock sub crossover point, get the AM/FM antenna to turn on (remote wire did not work, might be a 5v logic signal?), and maybe install the traffic radio for it.

That being said, nothing on this car is 10 minutes, aside from removing the COMAND unit from upfront. If I were to do this again, it would go much faster, as I know where to put things, I now know which color-coded wires do what, and I would do some things differently. And, each install will be different. I had to install the double-din headunit, the XM radio module (which is almost 1/2 DIN), the Pioneer "network" cable between the two, power to the XM radio, XM and GPS antennas, headunit to USB with audio cable, iPhone cradle cable, new external microphone cable and find a nice and subtle position for it, the parking brake cable (or bypass it like I did), etc.

Plus, I have seen "installs" done by professional places and they do not always take the time that I would. I created brand new wire looms from the existing ones and I do not like to use "crimp" connectors, I buy solder-type connectors and use heat shrink. I separated the correct wires, rerouted as necessary, and then taped them back up again with "friction" tape. When you pull the front unit out you don't see a spaghetti bowl of colored wires, you don't see wads of wires pushed back in crevices, etc. What you see are several looms, neatly wrapped, each one going to a connector, no stranglers. It looks like MB did it themselves which is what I was going for. I also did the same for the trunk.

I also had to run 3 pairs of RCAs for all the outputs of the headunit and I used my favorite interconnect wire-type: Quad Shield RG6! This stuff is a little thick and sometimes can be inflexible. But, it's shielded and has a nice and thick center conductor.

Everything else that was not to be used I cut and then used heatshrink on the ends, pulled them back, and folded them over and zip tied them to a body brace or the like to prevent them from rattling.

I could have gone a lot faster, used crimp connectors, and then smashed the headunit into the mass of wires behind it like BestBuy or CircuitCity used too. But, that's not how I do things.

Oh, also, you don't need to run a remote turn on wire. There is a black wire with a gray stripe that can be used as it is "on" when the car key is turned to the Accessory position. In the trunk you will find two of those, I created a separate loom for the extra one in case we need to put something back there.
I figured this much! I would actually love to see your install, I can only imagine how nice it is.. Like I said above, I absolutely comend your dedication. May I ask what you used as a bezel. Did you make your own or buy one off of eBay?

·
Registered
30 Posts
CMCPRO:

The bezel we used was the one that has been seen on here and on eBay: the plastic one with the simulated burl print. However, the jury is still out on that as it does not fit "right". I think what the manufacturer did was take an OEM bezel, finished it off for a double din unit, and then made an overlay and copied it as such. So, its every so lightly larger and has a tendency to pop out.

I'll be going back to the headunit next weekend once the SWI-PS comes in for the steering wheel controls. I might take the OEM one, carefully cut out the pieces I don't need, and use a trim piece or some plastic and a gasket around the edge. Dunno yet.

Oh, and the color is so way off as well. It really makes it look off more than anything.

BTW: should the remote turn on signal from the head unit be able to turn on the factory AM/FM antenna amp? I wonder since you are an installer if you have had experience with that antenna amplifier.

·
Registered
719 Posts
CMCPRO:

The bezel we used was the one that has been seen on here and on eBay: the plastic one with the simulated burl print. However, the jury is still out on that as it does not fit "right". I think what the manufacturer did was take an OEM bezel, finished it off for a double din unit, and then made an overlay and copied it as such. So, its every so lightly larger and has a tendency to pop out.

I'll be going back to the headunit next weekend once the SWI-PS comes in for the steering wheel controls. I might take the OEM one, carefully cut out the pieces I don't need, and use a trim piece or some plastic and a gasket around the edge. Dunno yet.

Oh, and the color is so way off as well. It really makes it look off more than anything.

BTW: should the remote turn on signal from the head unit be able to turn on the factory AM/FM antenna amp? I wonder since you are an installer if you have had experience with that antenna amplifier.
Actually not an installer by profession but the D2B fiber optic bus turns on the factory amp from what I have read by schematics.. but while I haven't tested this, when I had that connector unplugged it didn't come on. You may have to run that wire into the switched power.. the amp is right above the amp assembly.. Also, there is someone on here or MB world that makes custom bezels that look like brand new.. he makes them out of the OEM ones.. infact he has a step by step DIY on doing it if you look around..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll be putting up some pictures, however, it will be of the final install. I was so engrossed in the install that I forgot to take any pictures aside from the very beginning. But, in all reality, aside from it being an S-Class and you have to install a new audio system from almost the ground up, it's probably going to be the same for everyone aside from the time involved. I do wish I had taken a picture of the amp brace. I'll see if my dad took any pictures.

CMCPRO:

The amp you refer to, above the speaker amp on the left-hand side quarter panel, in the trunk. That is the Telematics/CTEL amp. IIRC, that is where I got the black with gray strip wire which will turn the amp on. Technically, one could keep the CTEL system in place if one wanted too.

I'll have to doublecheck the stuff I have and see if there is any more info on that AM/FM antenna amplifier. It would be really annoying to have to make a workaround on that.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts