Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Removing Chrome Trim - How?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  yvon gauthier 
#1 ·
How do I remove the chrome trim above the rear license plate? I have already removed eight nuts from the back side and I can wobble it and pull it out a few mm, but what else needs to be removed to get it off? The rubber trunk seal? The lights?

Thanks, Andy

See less See more
#6 ·
+1 what the guys wrote. Side trims are held in place with 4 nuts each I think, once they're off the center piece will lift off. Just be careful as it's still going to be connected to the lock, there's a small circlip which needs removing in order to detach the two. And there's a power cable for the reg plate lights.

#7 ·
Hmmm. I'll go out and look again tomorrow but when I looked today I only saw 2 nuts per piece. I forgot to look at the one with those pieces removed. Would have been easy to count the holes. Both of those are '84 models but I don't think that makes a difference. Andy doesn't have to worry about the clip on the lock. His lock is missing.

#11 · (Edited)
Removed from an '84 280SL. Six nuts (and c-clip) Had to use a block of wood and pound on the outer two studs. Came off in one piece stuck to the seal. Separated the right piece which shows the center piece goes over the end.

Gun

Gun

Edit 2/28/2020: There are eight nuts. Four on the center piece and two each side. Sorry if it caused anyone a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.