Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
CLK500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 CLK500 with he cd player in the glove box. I cannot get the cd cassette out. Can anyone help me out?
Many thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
468 Posts
Trying to pull the fuse out (to cut the power to the CD changer), then reinsert the fuse, eject the magazine, it may work, otherwise, remove the - terminal of the battery (you HAVE to reset everything : window, sunroof, radio code : If you never do this, I would NOT suggest this) or go to the corner car's stereo shop, they may wiggle to get the magazine out for you. Last resource : you MB dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
CLK500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks. I will try it.
Why do you say that about the battery? If I have never done this before. Can disconnecting the battery cause problems?

·
Registered
RHD C200K Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
451 Posts
Many thanks. I will try it.
Why do you say that about the battery? If I have never done this before. Can disconnecting the battery cause problems?
Search the forums - do whatever you can to avoid disconnecting the battery. I'm not sure on the CLK, but on the C, it's only one torx screw holding the changer in the glove box - it's at the top of the bracket - and then the changer slides sideways to remove. You could then remove the power to the changer by unplugging it rather than trying to disconnect the battery in your car..

Be careful, as the changer has two connections, one "copper" for power, and the other fiber. The optical fiber is either bright yellow or orange, and you want to avoid bending or crimping it.

·
Registered
CLK500
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I tried the fuse and it did not work. I removed the player and took it apart and got the cassette out. But now it plays but no sound.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
468 Posts
Your 03 CLK CD changer is fiber optic, on the back of the unit, there are 2 plugs : 1 smaller is for power, the larger with 2 ORANGE fiber cables must be insert tightly to the plug. If the CD play without sound, you may have check the fiber plug (whether you break the fiber cable while pulling it out the glove box ?). If you checking out everything OK (no breaking fiber cable), then the laser head is bad (can not read the CD), time for the new CD changer, your car (glove box CD changer location), only fit the MB # MC3010 (the MB #MC3198 also fiber optic, but it's too big for glove box location). Dealer price is very high ($600-$800), on EBAY is cheaper (may be $200-300), but the risk is : the unit may not be on a good working condition, like skip a track...), there is NO warranty on Ebay. Good luck.

·
Registered
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
468 Posts
Hey Mike,
Have you try to clean the fiber end with alcohol ? (give that a try, the fiber end may be dirty (with dust).Good luck.

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2000 E320, 2001 E320
23 Posts
Cleaning the two tiny bulbs at the end of the fiber plug with rubbing alcohol also fixed my problem i.e. the Magazine would not eject.

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2000 E320, 2001 E320
23 Posts
I'm not "entirely sure" cleaning the tiny bulbs with rubbing alcohol was the main / only thing that fixed the "Magazine won't eject" problem. Because before doing that I also took the whole CD changer unit apart and freed-up a CD in slot #6 that appeared to be stuck. Taking apart the CD changer and re-assembling it was a pain in the you know what!!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,183 Posts
Magazine problem was likely related to the stuck disc. The tiny bulbs are the fiber optic transmission lenses. Thank you for letting us know how it all worked out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts