Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I recently replace my cat an the increase in power was amazing so I could imagine what it would be without the cat an resonator, I went to almost every muffler and exhaust shop i could find and the all said they wouldnt touch it, its like people are afraid of working on mercedes, like they have some disease or something. Then i remembered this guy on my has a nova that he finish rebuilding and his son told me that he did the exhaust all by his self, today i asked and he said no problem just get him the pipes and he will weld it on...so me question is when i remove them is there anything that I have to be concerned about? will it cause my car to run rich? or do anything weird that I would have to adjust? or should I be fine??

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
The problem is nobody wants to be liable for if you get caught without them. Depending on where you live, some states required smog or emmission test which it's illegal to have them removed.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Why would none of the muffler shops remove the cat? It's illeagal in most countrys to remove if it's post 1970 ( in cars ) and post 1972 ( in trucks )( In The US )... You car may have more get up an go, but would run dirtyer then all heck. It may run " Rich " due to the lack of back pressure the cat and muffler create.. Also that loss of back pressure ( in most computer cars ) would create havoc, and make the cars' preformance worse... Best bet is to leave the cat on and switch to glasspacks insted of reguler mufflers.. another idea is to put a larger diamater exahust system in.. Those are legal ways to impruve. As to why a Chevy Nova doesn't need a cat? Engines made in the US pre 1980's were not designed to run with them ( large invintory of premade blocks sittin in some wharhouse since the 60's )They were throwen on to meet US fedrial clean air acts....

Best bet, leave it on, or replace with larger diamiter exahust, and glas packs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts