Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1990 560 sec fitted with a cat converter as original equipment. I was wondering what would happen if I were to remove the cat converter.
Has anyone done this?? what is the end result?

SA

·
Registered
1983 380sec(420 motor) w/ OHG-X450a LPG mixer & 3.27 LSD
51 Posts
It might be illegal to removal where you are. Although if you do remove it, it makes the car breathe better and you gain 5-10kilowatts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cat converter

no not illegal where I am, ( Dubai ) is it a straight forward job which an exhaust repair shop can handle or is it more complicated than that.
Would appreciate comments
SA

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,457 Posts
Hi Shahid,

If you have a good exhaust shop, you should be all set.

You just want to make sure the Oxygen Sensor (if disturbed) is mounted in approxomately the same position as it was initially.

Gee, I wish it were legal to remove the cat here in the Boston, MA area.

Good Luck, MBL

You might consider updating your profile with car & location? Thanks.

·
Registered
C43 AMG, 190E 0.0L
344 Posts
how straightforward would moving the 02 sensor be? I know it is mounted on the primary cat in stock form, so would I want to just cut a mounting hole in the downpipe (past the headers) and call it good? Just to clarify, the sensor just measures the quality of the exhaust gas going into the cat, right?

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
The sensor measures how much unburnt fuel is in the exhaust. Crucial to optimum air fuel mixture. If you remove the car, you'll want to weld a 22mm nut in the new pipe so you can mount the O2 sensor

·
Registered
C43 AMG, 190E 0.0L
344 Posts
right on....thanks for the pics. Did you notice any increase in performance from this mod? I have heard the standard 10 HP-ish guess-timates but I was just wondering what your butt dyno said? Is it worth it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts