Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 E550
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My 2000 ML320 has Java leather and it's looking some what dingy, was thinking of using a Dye Colorant to bring it back to life. Anyone know how to remove the back seat, it would make the work easier.
Thank you![:)]

·
Registered
01 ML430, 03 C320 Coupe MT, 14 GL450
952 Posts
You can check <a href="http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/VES%20Documents/VES%20Support%20Documents.pdf">this</a> document from paulhdick's excellent VES install document - it shows how to remove the rear floor coverings and the 40% seat. I assume the 60% seat is removed in a similar manner - it's just bolted to the floor. Remember about the seatbelt pretentioner connectors, though, and try not to switch the car on while the seats are removed, I think it'll light up the SRS light.

Paul also has instructions on how to retrofit the 3rd row seats, and I seem to recall that there may be some instructions on how to take apart the 40% seat in those instructions, if you need that info. You'll find the info on <a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/index.htm">Paul's website</a>.

Hope this helps.

Before dying, see what a good cleaning does. Please post some pics of your seats now, and after anything you do to it. I, for one, would be interested in seeing how things turn out.

BTW, very nice colour combo on your ML and your C! We have an Azure Blue ML with Java interior. A couple of years ago we were very close to trading our ML430 for a loaded green/java ML500, but the dealer didn't want to budge on a small detail in the deal, and neither did I [:D]. I absolutely love the Java, but it does take a little more TLC to keep looking nice.

·
Registered
2014 E550
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the color compliments. I will definetly take photos of before and after when I do this. The back seats look very tired, almost look sanded with kids living back there. My C still looks brand new, kid free car [:D]

·
Registered
Brabus ML 270CDI
1,904 Posts
tips from a previous post

The hardest thing about upgrading to the new style fuel filter is removing the rear seat. Sure you can probably loosen up a bunch a bolts and jerry rig some type of access but why not go ahead and remove the seat, take off all the marks on the plastic covers and clean the carpets while you are there? First, there are a bunch of Torx head bolts (16) and 3 16mm hex head nuts. There are 9 on the 60% portion, 6 on the 40% split and 1 shared between them. The 40% split seat flange overlaps the 60% flange for some unknown reason so you have to take it out if you want to remove the larger seat. Knowing how many bolts/nuts there are is a big help as it's dark down there and you are hunting black hardware often hidden in deep channels. Before you remove the bolts you have to remove the plastic covers. If you want to break the covers pry away! There is some reasoning to them which I only discovered after breaking a few tabs. First remove in this order:

Remove front center covers (2), pop up front first then push to the rear. Covers remove through back of seat.

Remove outer pieces (2), release order not important just be careful

Remove rear cover, pop up front, use screwdriver on side of holes with wedge profile to release tabs on the center tabs.

·
Registered
Brabus ML 270CDI
1,904 Posts
The hardest part is removing the covers , so once you got that done ... it's just removing the bolts.....

PS: That's why I posted those helpful hints above![;)]

·
Registered
2014 E550
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the assistance. I think I'm going to attempt the dyeing of my Java leather without removing the seats. It will save me a lot of time. Just waiting for the right day to do this. I will post before and after pictures. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts