Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally dove into the timing chain & guides project that I've had on my to-do list for so long. But I cannot get the bloody alternator off. It's got a tiny 6mm hex cap bolt mounting it, and despite cleaning it, heating it, PB Blasting it, and tapping my driver so it was seated firmly, it would not budge, and I fear it's been rounded out. What are my options here? The fasteners seem to differ from other descriptions and instructions I've found around -- once I get that hex bolt off the two 17mm bolts will do the rest?

Also, there's something I assume to be the cruise control on top of the alternator. How do i get that off?

Edit: Actuator removal:

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I had that problem with one of my fuel injector clip retaining bolt. What I did was take a Torx bit that was just a smidgen larger than the Allen head size of the bolt. I then took a 5 lb.sledge hammer and pounded the Torx bit as far into the head of the bolt as it would go. Then using a 3/8 ratchet I was able to back the bolt out. It worked so well that I didn't even need to replace the bolt... I put it back together using the same Torx bit. (y)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Dang Jyuma, I would have replaced the bolt. Anytime a bolt gets stripped he goes into the trash.

It's mostly because i dont to curse the previous idiot that was there since that would be me 🤣

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Are you talking about the alternator or the alternator bracket. There should be no 6mm bolts holding on the alternator. There are 8mm bolts with 6mm socket head bolts holding on the alternator and cruise control brackets. These often get frozen. Best thing to do with any of these bolts aside from cleaning them out is to soak them with penetrating oil then shock them. I shock mine ising a brass drift and hammer. If they get really stubborn, I will it them with an impact hammer using a blunt head and not to much that I don't peen over the head so that I cant get an allen key in there.

I believe the bolts in the picture are the ones you are referring to. The brass drift shown in the picture was purchased from Harbor Freight, I believe for under $10. You may have to cut it in half if you short on swing.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
I dealt with this two weeks ago:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you talking about the alternator or the alternator bracket. There should be no 6mm bolts holding on the alternator. There are 8mm bolts with 6mm socket head bolts holding on the alternator and cruise control brackets. These often get frozen. Best thing to do with any of these bolts aside from cleaning them out is to soak them with penetrating oil then shock them. I shock mine ising a brass drift and hammer. If they get really stubborn, I will it them with an impact hammer using a blunt head and not to much that I don't peen over the head so that I cant get an allen key in there.

I believe the bolts in the picture are the ones you are referring to. The brass drift shown in the picture was purchased from Harbor Freight, I believe for under $10. You may have to cut it in half if you short on swing.
Ah yes, it was the bracket -- I had the whole job filed under "alternator" in my brain. I used your method to get the remaining 3 bolts out. Access was tight so I ended up using a little electric hammer I had for working between joist, and a nail set. I used those to push the 6mm bit into socket and shock it at the same time. The original bolt that rounded out I was eventually able to remove with a cold chisel. I'll have to go to Spaenaur to get a replacement.

Next challenge is getting the lines back on the power steering pump. No idea how I managed to get a wrench in there to get them off, much less get them back on...

Someone previously had also managed to cross-thread one of the screws holding the distributor cap on. That was a treat to get out. Not sure if I can get another partially threaded one, but I imagine a fully threaded one will suffice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts