Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have my car right now so I can't just go out and look. Is it possible to remove all of the plastic from the air filter housing?

·
Registered
1982 300CD|1998 GMC Sierra 2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel|2008 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L DD
2,003 Posts
That would be sick, I want pictures if you do it!

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
Powder coating it eh? I considered that myself. But I want to make sure I have it as polished as I can get it first. I still have more work to do.

yeah It's possible. you have to CAREFULLY drill out the rivets, and uncrew the airpump hose connection.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, it wouldn't be powdercoating per se, it'd be a thermal coating. I'm thinking about doing it to the air filter housing and the valve covers (or maybe just go the simple gold foil film route).

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
DarkOneSK said:
Powder coating it eh? I considered that myself. But I want to make sure I have it as polished as I can get it first. I still have more work to do.

yeah It's possible. you have to CAREFULLY drill out the rivets, and uncrew the airpump hose connection.
Your engine is insanely clean!! You must have been living and breathing everything 560SEC for the last year! Great job.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
well, 500SEC, and only 4 months working on her to restore her to better than her original glory. about 6-10 hours a day though. It's depressing though. Running out of shit to do.
Thanks for the compliments.
here is a wider shot if you are interested.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
DarkOneSK said:
well, 500SEC, and only 4 months working on her to restore her to better than her original glory. about 6-10 hours a day though. It's depressing though. Running out of shit to do.
Thanks for the compliments.
here is a wider shot if you are interested.
Wow that's dedication...and a full time job!

·
Registered
W140 '93 500 SEL
1,005 Posts
Batou said:
get a new coolant resovoir? =D

it would look awesome if it was white, instead of yellow.
Why not get a chrome coolent tank fabricated looks better!

I know there are bmw aftermarket chrome tanks...don't know of w126.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
DarkOne, tell us about about the aircleaner cover embossed with the AMG letters. Is this an original or was it offered back during the period. All I've got is my little gold sticker. Embossing trumps a little gold sticker :(

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
two things:

DO NOT ceramic coat the valve covers! they disipate heat! the airbox? go for it. good investment.

chrome coolant resivoir? no way, aluminum disipates heat. i've been planning on making an aluminum finned resivoir for some time, but still haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
AzimuthAviation said:
DarkOne, tell us about about the aircleaner cover embossed with the AMG letters. Is this an original or was it offered back during the period. All I've got is my little gold sticker. Embossing trumps a little gold sticker :(
its just a plastic chrome ///AMG sticker from ebay with the /// part cut off, looks good - if only the engine was an AMG, hey Darkone i think I found you a new job to do.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
yeah but I'm restricted on what engine mods I can do. Because of Jonathan's twin turbos, should he ever get them done. Still waiting to hear what I can and cant do. Don't wanna waste money.

·
Registered
Classic 92 190E 2.6
4,235 Posts
DarkOneSK said:

I like the polished look. So what steps did you do? Use paint remove first? How did you polish it, hand drill with attachment? Are going to clear coat it?

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
Darkone,
Has Jonathan told about not using the green coolant in these cars? I'm sure you would see a better temp if you used a 70/30 of water and MB coolant with some waterwetter. Give Jonathan a call and see what he thinks about it. IMO

Regards,

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
500MPL said:
Darkone,
Has Jonathan told about not using the green coolant in these cars? I'm sure you would see a better temp if you used a 70/30 of water and MB coolant with some waterwetter. Give Jonathan a call and see what he thinks about it. IMO

Regards,
AHHHH!!!! holy shite! i just noticed that! get that stuff outta there ASAP!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts