Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz c230 coupe with automatic and evolution package
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, hope all is well.

I'm trying to DIY replacing my broken tension pulley on 2003 MB c230 K coupe, and the only way to access the bolt is from behind the timing case. I've removed the intake manifold and am now trying to remove the supercharger. From drawings, I see it is held in with 3 bolts. I can access the 2 in front but cant seem to see the one in back or even put a wrench. There's pipes and stuff. If anyone has done this before, or has some pics, I could sure use some help. How did you remove the Supercharger? pls help. Thanks

·
Registered
2005 C230K
42 Posts
If you google M271 supercharger, there should be plenty of hits.

Iirc, there's a bolt that has be accessed from the bottom. But, if you took off the intake, I thought there was also 1-2 bolts from the intake that had to be accessed from the bottom.

Sorry, if I post links to pictures or attach anything, my account seems to get locked for ~week+. So, screw me ever posting links or attaching anything.

Also, if you're doing any sort of work on the car, you really should get a copy of WIS from ebay. Even if you have to buy an ~$100 PC (if you don't have one), it's well worth it. :)

Otherwise, if you have the "magic secret sauce" and can properly access EPC online, you could buy a yearly MB subscription.
There are also other online manual options. But, they seem to have scanned copies of WIS. So, you can't search, and the resolution is so-so.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you for the info and pdf. I'm hoping i can do it without jacking the car... will try removing the intake muffler first this weekend...bolts are in a weird position too,

thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See if this helps:

http://benzbits.com/M271/Supercharger.pdf

There is a bottom bolt. You have to remove the intake muffler to access it.
hey Rudeney,

from what it looks like the bolts for the intake muffler are accessed from below the car? is this what you did? or did you manage to take them out from above and what tool?

thanks
jamie

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,344 Posts
You will have to lift the vehicle for access.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
See if this helps:

http://benzbits.com/M271/Supercharger.pdf

There is a bottom bolt. You have to remove the intake muffler to access it.
Thanks to my fellow BW enthusiast's, I jacked the car and managed to remove the Supercharger. Thank you...

My next question is, never doing this before, how is the supercharger supposed to spin. Should the pulley spin very freely, round-n-round or a bit tight and not so freely?

hope you can help

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know i'm answering my own question here, but maybe this might help someone...after further internet research on the supercharger, i see its a ETON M45 and the pulley is not supposed to spin freely. There are a series of gears inside that turn two turbines which produce the boosted airflow...now in a perfect world I should rebuild this thing now that i have it apart, however I see it requires pullers and special presses to remove the bearings so I will just replace the oil with fresh supercharger oil...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update,

have the Eaton M45 supercharger off. cleaned it and then painted with high heat aluminum, in the process of cleaning, painting other parts, then reassembling everything back together...

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just wondering why that link to the pdf that tells you how to remove the supercharger tells you to also remove the clutch once you’ve got it out? Also when you put it back is it as simple as bolting it back up and starting the car up? Or do you have to do anything extra to set up the S/C.

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,344 Posts
What they call a "clutch" is the electrical wiring harness connector. The electronically-controlled recirculated air flap is attached to the supercharger so its wiring harness must be disconnected.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Londos,

I don't know why it says that. I simply removed it as you see it in one piece as in my pic's and then replaced it back exactly the same...This would be a good time to rebuild it (a bit challenging) or at least put fresh oil in the SC (easier)...you may also have to clear all code faults with a MBZ compatible OBD scanner...that's all i did...All together now, and the engine runs like new, I now have to just fix the hard shifting tranny problem and the car will be good as new...:)

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,571 Posts
My son and I I just did this over the weekend to fix the infamous $12 hose(s). I am super impressed with your paint job! Man, that look good enough to eat off of! :D

All in all, the whole process wasn't that bad. Just time consuming. Do any of you know the part number for the ground strap/cable? I have searched EPC till I am cross-eyed and can't find it. The existing one literally snapped at one end connector. I could solder/fix, but since it's so accessible I'd rather just replace it. Anyone know the part #?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My son and I I just did this over the weekend to fix the infamous $12 hose(s). I am super impressed with your paint job! Man, that look good enough to eat off of! :D

All in all, the whole process wasn't that bad. Just time consuming. Do any of you know the part number for the ground strap/cable? I have searched EPC till I am cross-eyed and can't find it. The existing one literally snapped at one end connector. I could solder/fix, but since it's so accessible I'd rather just replace it. Anyone know the part #?
good job :) i dont know the number sorry.

·
Registered
2005 C230
59 Posts
Hi guys, hope all is well.

I'm trying to DIY replacing my broken tension pulley on 2003 MB c230 K coupe, and the only way to access the bolt is from behind the timing case. I've removed the intake manifold and am now trying to remove the supercharger. From drawings, I see it is held in with 3 bolts. I can access the 2 in front but cant seem to see the one in back or even put a wrench. There's pipes and stuff. If anyone has done this before, or has some pics, I could sure use some help. How did you remove the Supercharger? pls help. Thanks
Hello Fellas, sorry for hijacking this thread but I am not too familiar with how to start my own thread.
I have a 2005 C230 and my supercharger is very loud, I want to replace it with a rebuilt S/C or have mine removed and rebuild , but I am having trouble finding a good rebuilt S/C and I am also having trouble finding a place that can rebuild mine, does anyone here know a place that I can purchase a good rebuilt S/C or a place that can rebuilt mine. any help or advise would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,571 Posts

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,571 Posts
I found the info below by using a newfangled tool called "The Google". You just type in "Mercedes Supercharger Rebuild Service" and info pops up! Try it, its amazing! :D

embreemachine.com

Mercedes Kompressor

Eaton M45 Gen4 Standard Snout Drive
Eaton M45 Gen5 Standard Snout Drive
Eaton M62 Gen3 Clutch-type Drive

$760 Complete Rebuild Service. Clutch service not included in this price and must be quoted after the supercharger has arrived for service.

$189 Rotor Coating - Thermal Coating

$299 Internal Case Rotor Bores - Thermal Coating

$399 Exterior Case - Powdered Coating

·
19,344 Posts
I found the info below by using a newfangled tool called "The Google". You just type in "Mercedes Supercharger Rebuild Service" and info pops up! Try it, its amazing! :D
WARNING! Do not use "The Google" .com - it's a BAD site! :oops:

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,571 Posts
Also:
El Google
Le Google
Das Google
Google San
Great Googly Moogly
G to the Oogle
🤣

1 - 19 of 19 Posts