Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 600SEL
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have a 2011 CL 63. (Same visor problem for 4-doors, I assume). My visors are dark gray Alcantara and have obnoxious air bag warning stickers on them. I thought I could just ignore them, but once I started to think about it, I just wanted to remove them. I searched this site and found a sugestions involving various combinations of heat, isopropyl alcohol, and Goo Gone. I soaked a folded paper towel in 91% isopropyl and put in in a gallon Zip Lock bag. I positioned the bag and towel into good contact with my sticker and held it in place with 5 rubber bands. After 15 minutes, I was able to peal off the sticker. There was some adhesive residue which came off partially with more alcohol. Then I soaked the area with Goo Gone (gel) and let is sit for 10 minutes. It has a strong citrus smell. After than a combination of blotting, scraping with finger nail, and rubbing with a cloth, finally got pretty much everything off. After drying for an hour or so, I followed with a soft brush (actually from a billiard table) to smooth the nap of the fabric.
My results are decent. After 8 years, I did not expect the previous area to be invisible, but with the light usually available here, the visors look MUCH better.
Good luck,
Dave
IMG_1480.jpg

·
Registered
2010 S500
9 Posts
I have an uneasy feeling about that. Isn´t it possible that what you did is illegal?

I lived in the US for a while and there were all sorts of warnings about removing warnings, as the next owner would not be warned.

·
Registered
1992 600SEL
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never seen a warning sticker that I didn't want to remove. If I own the item, I will remove any stickers that I find objectionable. I do not believe I have any duty to future buyers, legal or moral. Most warning labels are either government mandated or corporate liability disclaimers, that have application only to the primary purchaser.
But clearly, each person should do what they feel is right.
I think they are ugly, and I didn't buy my car to look at ugly things.
PS
In case removing them is somehow illegal: "What warning stickers?"

·
Registered
2010 S500
9 Posts
You live in the US so you know better. I was only speaking from my recollection of my time there.

·
Registered
1992 600SEL
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Joselu, I don't know better or much, but I really dislike the look of those stickers. I don't feel it is my duty to maintain them, replace them if they are damaged or even refrain from removing them. Other people might feel different. Also the stickers say something like "air bags can hurt you". Not really a meaningful warning anyway.
Good luck,
Dave

·
Outstanding Contributor
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,805 Posts
The first thing I do when I get a new piece of furniture is tear that stoopid "Don't remove me!" tag off! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts