Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The moonroof was having a hard time opening up all the way so I figured the sunshade was the culprit. I could only open the sunshade about 6 inches or so before it completely stopped. I popped the moonroof open and looked inside for anything blocking it. I found little black sticky plastic/insulation pieces so I searched for what it was. I took everything apart using this thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1448445-photo-diy-removing-sunroof-liner.html

Then I was shocked at how much failed insulation I found inside. It was one VERY large piece along with dozens of smaller pieces that had fallen apart. I pulled out from there. It was a pain in the neck pulling all that crap out because it's a cramped working enviroment and you only have about an inch or so gap to see everything and pull everything out.

Anyway I got all that junk out and the sunshade works a lot better now. The moonroof can actually open all the way along with the sunshade. :thumbsup: However the sunshade is still a tad bit stubborn when you try closing it for the first couple inches while it's all the way open. I figure there is a hidden piece of insulation back there that I missed that is catching on to it. I may open it back up if it gets hard to open the sunshade/moonroof but for now I'm happy. I saved a lot of money over having a mechanic do the same thing.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
yup..seeing that more and more in 140's of late..seems to be the end of the road for that stuff.. I'm sure living in the roof where it gets a might bit Hot hasn't helped things either!!

Jonathan

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
Pleased you found that,,do not forget that it may need to be memorised again and do it by closing it and holding the switch closed for a few seconds with the key turned to 2 (ign)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it amazes me that silly things like this fail on a car of this level. I'd expect this from a ford but not a top of the line Mercedes. At least it's easy to fix.

Pleased you found that,,do not forget that it may need to be memorised again and do it by closing it and holding the switch closed for a few seconds with the key turned to 2 (ign)
Thanks for that info. I just synced it. Do these cars have the sliding one touch moonroof? I could have swore that my previous W140 had the auto moonroof but i could be mistaking it for my W203 C230k...

·
6,543 Posts
No one touch on the roof, the idea is so that you can totally close the car with the ignition key (convenience closing)

What makes things harder like with what you had jammed in there, the roof motors have a 2 second trip, so painfully slow to get it all the way along, it is to stop kids chopping off their heads

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No one touch on the roof, the idea is so that you can totally close the car with the ignition key (convenience closing)

What makes things harder like with what you had jammed in there, the roof motors have a 2 second trip, so painfully slow to get it all the way along, it is to stop kids chopping off their heads
Ah yes the roof does close with the remote if you hold the button. Too bad it doesn't have one touch closing from the inside though... Not a big deal since I normally drive with the sunroof in tilt position.

Next thing to do is buy some paste for the sunroof rails. They look like they haven't been lubricated for a good while.

·
6,543 Posts
Ah yes the roof does close with the remote if you hold the button. Too bad it doesn't have one touch closing from the inside though... Not a big deal since I normally drive with the sunroof in tilt position.

Next thing to do is buy some paste for the sunroof rails. They look like they haven't been lubricated for a good while.
These days I would use a can of PTFE,, much better than any paste, its clean, it last and it does not stain or discolour anything. I would spray some into a small cup and use a rag or cloth to get it on the rails, a paint brush works well too,,, this stuff is so slippery.

Spray some in your house door lock and the key, it will all go silky smooth

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These days I would use a can of PTFE,, much better than any paste, its clean, it last and it does not stain or discolour anything. I would spray some into a small cup and use a rag or cloth to get it on the rails, a paint brush works well too,,, this stuff is so slippery.

Spray some in your house door lock and the key, it will all go silky smooth
Thanks for the great tips. I'll visit an auto parts store tomorrow to find this PTFE. I was under the impression that I had to use the mercedes recommended paste only until you mentioned this.

While we're talking about greasing stuff on the car is there anything else on the W140 you'd recommend greasing with PTFE (or even WD40) while I'm at it?

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
mine use to only open about 2 inches. then we took out some of the insulation and we also found alot of leafs. when i say we it was me and my cousin. now it opens up all the way. we never took the headliner off so its still amazing. once i find the sunroof cover in gray and i replace that i would make that part of my w140 flawless :)

·
6,543 Posts
Thanks for the great tips. I'll visit an auto parts store tomorrow to find this PTFE. I was under the impression that I had to use the mercedes recommended paste only until you mentioned this.

While we're talking about greasing stuff on the car is there anything else on the W140 you'd recommend greasing with PTFE (or even WD40) while I'm at it?
In the UK we use it in the car door locks to stop them from seizing up, also on the drop links on the suspension. hood locks, use it extensively on the 230 roof parts and joints.

WD40 is not a lubricant as it dries, fine for a rusted what ever.
The dry lube one used on cycle chains is good and so is the one mixed with 3 in 1 oil.

There are Silicon products also excellent for suspension rubbers and also sliding roofs tracts.

These 2 products were not invented when the cars were made.

Krytox (I think I have spelt it correctly) is the one to use around all door rubbers to keep them soft

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the UK we use it in the car door locks to stop them from seizing up, also on the drop links on the suspension. hood locks, use it extensively on the 230 roof parts and joints.

WD40 is not a lubricant as it dries, fine for a rusted what ever.
The dry lube one used on cycle chains is good and so is the one mixed with 3 in 1 oil.

There are Silicon products also excellent for suspension rubbers and also sliding roofs tracts.

These 2 products were not invented when the cars were made.

Krytox (I think I have spelt it correctly) is the one to use around all door rubbers to keep them soft
Well I bought the PTFE. I greased the sunroof rails and hood lock things.

I also went to grease my radio antenna since I've been meaning to do it since I bought the car. Unfortunately my radio antenna was stuck so I couldn't grease it... How in the world did this happen as soon as I bought the grease??? It's been working great since I bought the car. It is sticking up about about an inch or two and it just doesn't budge when trying to move it by hand.

The funny thing is I was trying to search for a way to disable this damn antenna since I only listen to CDs anyway. I hated the fact that the antenna would always go up as soon as I turned on the radio. On my previous W140 I had to manually raise and lower the antenna. I prefer that way since I listen to CDs most of the time. Too bad the W140 didn't come with the antenna up/down switch like the W126. I think the motor would have lasted longer if it did...

·
Banned
3,373 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While you were removing this insulation (Common problem on W140 sunroofs), it might have been a good idea to grease up the rails to ensure the sunroof for another 15 years!

Heres my DIY thread incase you missed it comrades..

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1610502-diy-w140-sun-roof-resotoration-repair.html

Garaunteed to make your sunroof work like NEW! lol
Wait a minute I might have lubricated the wrong part of the rails.

Do I really have to take apart the sunroof just to properly grease the rails? :eek:

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Yes my friend..

If you want it greased up properly, you would have to dismantle the rails..

Its not too hard, just set an afternoon aside, and follow the steps. Your entire sunroof will work like new! Lol, check the vid in that DIY. If your sunroof does not operate as smooth as in the vid, then you need to do the DIY..

All the best! Both sunroofs I've serviced this way have been working flawlessly! Smooth as butter, and quiet as a silencer :D

·
Registered
412 Posts

Lubricate everything that moves. Door checks, graphite in locks, cables. the list is endless.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes my friend..

If you want it greased up properly, you would have to dismantle the rails..

Its not too hard, just set an afternoon aside, and follow the steps. Your entire sunroof will work like new! Lol, check the vid in that DIY. If your sunroof does not operate as smooth as in the vid, then you need to do the DIY..

All the best! Both sunroofs I've serviced this way have been working flawlessly! Smooth as butter, and quiet as a silencer :D
Yeah I just watched the vid and mine is a little slower and isn't as quiet (especially when popping the sunroof up). I doubt anyone has ever taken out the moonroof from this car to grease the rails but I will follow your tutorial. I think the easy part will be taking it apart, but I sure hope I can put it back together properly.

Thanks for providing the detailed info MafiaDON :thumbsup: I'll likely do this project tomorrow. My antenna failed me from lack of lubrication so I don't want my moonroof doing the same thing. I'll keep you all updated.

Oh and thanks for that info napaAl.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MafiaDON, I followed your DIY tutorial. When I was taking apart my sunroof shade it was VERY stubborn and would not come out... Apparently I didn't get every plastic insulation piece out and they hooked onto my sunshade completely ruining it :mad: The good news is with the moonroof out I was able to get every single plastic insulation piece out. When I removed rail one there were also lots of those little insulation pieces in there, who knows how long they've been there.

Anyway I have taken off all the rails/parts and cleaned them really good. The rails were operating on very little to no grease on some parts... I am very glad that I took it apart and cleaned everything. Unfortunately it is getting dark so I will grease it and put it back together tomorrow. Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
When DIY goes wrong :(

And thats why I'm hesitant to grease the rails. I'm skeptical of my DIY skills and the sunroof assembly itself that something might screw up.

Works out for me though. I never open the sunroof since I like the quiet cabin and dont like sunlight making the interior all bright (its darker than usual inside the cabin due to limo tints all around)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts