Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Pictures as promised.

First picture taken with the engine hanging from the hoist after I pulled and leveled it . Notice how far aft the load leveler is adjusted. I didn't stop to take pictures when I had the tranny angled down about 45 degrees. Too scary.

Free of the car at last... I was surprised by how easily the hoist moved as I pulled it away. See the bungee cord running from the A/C bracket to the hoist? That's all it took to keep the engine from turning.

The empty hole where the engine once was... looks like a job for the pressure washer.

On the ground safe and sound... I was really amazed by how easy it actually was to pull the engine once everything was removed. I had many well wishers warn me to not attempt it yourself, get somebody to help you. With the Harbor Freight 2 ton lift and the Harbor Freight 2 ton load leveler... the actual removal is easy.

More pictures tomorrow. (y)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Pictures as promised.

First picture taken with the engine hanging from the hoist after I pulled and leveled it . Notice how far aft the load leveler is adjusted. I didn't stop to take pictures when I had the tranny angled down about 45 degrees. Too scary.
View attachment 2606700

Free of the car at last... I was surprised by how easily the hoist moved as I pulled it away. See the bungee cord running from the A/C bracket to the hoist? That's all it took to keep the engine from turning.
View attachment 2606702

The empty hole where the engine once was... looks like a job for the pressure washer.
View attachment 2606701

On the ground safe and sound... I was really amazed by how easy it actually was to pull the engine once everything was removed. I had many well wishers warn me to not attempt it yourself, get somebody to help you. With the Harbor Freight 2 ton lift and the Harbor Freight 2 ton load leveler... the actual removal is easy.
View attachment 2606703

Pictures as promised.

View attachment 2606700

View attachment 2606702

View attachment 2606701

View attachment 2606703

I pulled mine by myself but I needed someone to help me put it back in. The load leveler that I had wouldn't create an angle steep enough to get the engine back in.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
Is there a trick to removing the timing chain cover? I got every bolt out and I can even wiggle the cover in and out but it feels like something is preventing it from lifting off over by the distributor tap off. Is there something there that I'm just not seeing?

MercTimingChainCover1.jpg

·
Registered
373 Posts
Good to see that everything worked out for you. Perfect time to replace the engine mounts. The two small bolts are a PITA with the engine in.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
OK... I'm embarrassed to ask this next question but the last time I removed rod bolts or nuts would have been on a 265 Chevy small block. Are the rod nuts on the Mercedes Torx or what? I don't have any sockets that would fit these nuts. What should I get?

MercRodNut.jpg

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,594 Posts
The door creaked when I tried to open that memory. Are you sure it isn't a 12 point metric socket? I don't remember it being Torx or a special socket on the 4.5L. They did look like that.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
The door creaked when I tried to open that memory. Are you sure it isn't a 12 point metric socket? I don't remember it being Torx or a special socket on the 4.5L. They did look like that.
You may be right about it being a 12 point metric socket. I think it's 14mm. Wouldn't you know, I have a 13mm 12 point and a 15mm 12 point but no 14mm 12 point. I do have a 9/16 12 point that fits but a bit sloppy.

A 9/16 is .562 inches and 14mm is .551 inches so I guess it makes sense that a 9/16 12 point would fit a 14mm 12 point but a little sloppy, by about .012 inches.
Tomorrow I'll pickup a 14mm 12 point and see if that does the trick.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I needed more room in the garage... engine parts all over the place... so I put the hardtop on and rolled the 107 outside.
It's amazing how the hardtop completely changes the look of the car.

MercHardTop.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Wow. Was it a ring that gave up and did that?
No... the rings on #6 were fine. It may be that one of the two times the chain guides broke and took a few valves with it... there must have been something (now long gone) that got lodged in one of the ring groves and beat the crap out of the piston and cylinder wall. None of the other pistons or cylinder walls show any signs of excessive wear although a few of the rod bearings show some wear but nothing excessive.
I still haven't found a reason for the loud ticking sound... which is part of the reason I torn the engine down. It looks like all I can do now is a standard engine rebuild. I'll have the cylinders dressed and re-coated, fix #6 by whatever means the machine shop has,replace the rings, and bearings, do (or have done) a valve job, replace the valve guides and seals (why not?) and put this thing back together.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Time to remove the crank... I took a picture so I could document location and direction of the caps.
The mains have numbers stamped on them 1 - 5 but I want to be sure I get them back in left to right instead of right to left.

MercMainsCapLocationsAnd Direction copy.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
It's amazing how the hardtop completely changes the look of the car.
Not just the look, but the way t sounds and feels to drive. I put the hardtop on mine last night and have been driving it since, and will probably keep doing so until it's time to put it away for the winter.

As expected the #6 piston is unusable.

View attachment 2606912
I take it it's not supposed to look like that?

It may be that one of the two times the chain guides broke and took a few valves with it...
That would explain the helicoils.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
The block is ready to go to the machine shop for cleaning and to see what can be done with #6.

Here's what #6 looks like from the bottom. Ugly.

MercNbr6.jpg

Here's 1 thru 4 (picture taken from the bottom). Not bad.
Merc1thru4.jpg

Here's 5 thru 8 from the bottom. That's #6 second from the right.
Merc5Thru8.jpg

I should mention that every one of the bearings... rods and mains... all show wear and some scratching. It's obvious that some tiny pieces of nasty shiot was circulating around in the oil. The worn metal on #6 piston and the scrapings from the cylinder walls of #6 had to go someplace. I guess getting trapped under the oil delivery holes in the bearings was as good a place as any.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts