Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

801 - 820 of 828 Posts

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #803
Here is what you can do with a Dremel and about 2 hours to kill.

Before: Ugly.
MercAirIntakeBefore.jpg

After: Pretty.
It won't make it run any better but it makes me feel better.
MercAirIntakeAfter.jpg :

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #805
The blue bolts add the final touch.
Yeah, I ordered new hex head bolts from McMaster but I liked the blue so much I left them in for the photo.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #806
Well, I thought I took enough pictures during disassembly to make reassembly a bit easier... I was wrong!

Although I have more than enough pictures they tell me nothing about the order of reassembly. I'm in the process of finalizing the intake to the head and I'm wondering if I should leave the air intake assembly off until after I route all the air tubes and perhaps even the injectors.

It looks like I can get to the two little nipples on the throttle and I could probably even tighten the strap that holds the boot on the throttle after I install the air intake assembly. Is it ok to leave the installation of the air intake assembly to after I install all the stuff that routs underneath it? Yes/No?

Picture

MercAirTubes.jpg I

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,686 Posts
Well, I thought I took enough pictures during disassembly to make reassembly a bit easier... I was wrong!

Although I have more than enough pictures they tell me nothing about the order of reassembly. I'm in the process of finalizing the intake to the head and I'm wondering if I should leave the air intake assembly off until after I route all the air tubes and perhaps even the injectors.

It looks like I can get to the two little nipples on the throttle and I could probably even tighten the strap that holds the boot on the throttle after I install the air intake assembly. Is it ok to leave the installation of the air intake assembly to after I install all the stuff that routs underneath it? Yes/No?

Picture

View attachment 2651170 I
I know you can do the intake first, do all your plumbing underneath and then put the air flow meter and CIS distributor on later. Not sure if the hole thing can be done as an assembly.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #808
I know you can do the intake first, do all your plumbing underneath and then put the air flow meter and CIS distributor on later. Not sure if the hole thing can be done as an assembly.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #809
Making progress but it's painfully slow. I have to take out time to figure what goes where and in what order.

For example: There is a hose that I left connected to the intake manifold when I pulled the manifold but I never marked where the other end goes. By the way it lays on the intake manifold I can assume it went to the WUR but I can't be sure. I have hundreds of pictures but I can't find any showing where it goes. I think it wraps around the front of the WUR and then plugs into the base from behind. Anybody know for sure?

The upper arrow points to where it connects to the intake manifold. It's the end pointed to by the lower arrow that I'm unsure of.

MercIntakeWithAirTubes copy.jpg

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
51 Posts
hi,
don’t know if this helps , my UK 380sl
i have attached a couple of pics of my dirty engine!! I’m no computer whizz so no red arrows for me but blue screwdrivers:rolleyes:
The hose halfway down the manifold as shown in your picture top arrow goes to the bottom of the 3 connections from what I’m looking at,
there are 2 smaller bore hoses above and this one goes underneath
hope it helps... sorry it’s grubby my resto starts when we move!!!

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #811 (Edited)
hi,
don’t know if this helps , my UK 380sl
i have attached a couple of pics of my dirty engine!! I’m no computer whizz so no red arrows for me but blue screwdrivers:rolleyes:
The hose halfway down the manifold as shown in your picture top arrow goes to the bottom of the 3 connections from what I’m looking at, there are 2 smaller bore hoses above and this one goes underneath
hope it helps... sorry it’s grubby my resto starts when we move!!!
Thank you for those pictures... they were just what I needed to verify my thoughts on where the tube connects.
Here are some pictures with red arrows showing the tube routing. Now that I see it, my memory thinks it's right.
bTw... blue screwdrivers work just as well as red arrows. :)
MercAirTubeToWUR1 copy.jpg

MercAirTubeToWUR2 copy.jpg

See the labels on the various lines? I took the time to make labels when I disassembled the engine. The label on the line going to the WUR must have fallen off. Oh well... it's been a year since I disassembled the engine... shiot happens. I expect I'll find more of the same as I get further into the reassembly.

Thanks again for those pictures, and no need to apologize for grubby engines. At 30 to 40 years old they're all grubby until we take the time (lots of time) to clean them up.

As Mike Patey is found of saying... Back to Work!

Update:
It took quite a bit of searching but I finally found two old pictures showing where that tube connects. These were taken almost exactly a year ago. They even show the same tie wrap I used probably to make sure the fitting didn't come lose. Looks like I got it in the right spot.

MercVacuumTubeToWUR1 copy.jpg MercVacuumTubeToWUR2 copy.jpg

Tomorrow is a day of cleaning brackets... I may even re-plate them. I'll show pictures of the plating process if I decide to do it.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #812
And for my next brain fade moment... I think I wound the clamp that holds the air boot to the throttle correctly but I can't be sure. Can anyone tell from the picture if I got it right?

MercAirBootClamp.jpg

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,686 Posts
And for my next brain fade moment... I think I wound the clamp that holds the air boot to the throttle correctly but I can't be sure. Can anyone tell from the picture if I got it right?

View attachment 2651318
Not sure whats wrong but it doesn't look right. I think tightening should be clockwise and there should not be a large bump digging in to the boot. Also the bent tab at the end should not be there or possibly be facing into the outer band.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #815
Yes, I wish I saw it before I connected it wrong... but it did work.
Apparently the clamp they sell fits many different boot or hose sizes. The metal strap is way too long for the 107 boot. Once I cut the strap down in length I was able to get it to work, but I still managed to do it wrong.
I see in your photo what I did wrong but what I did do will still work. Truth be know, the boot fits so snug to begin with... and can't go anyplace... I don't know how much the clamp is doing in the way of attaching the boot to the throttle. It probably is mostly there to keep the air seal tight and in that regard my installation, although wrong, will still do the job.

Thanks to you both for your help.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #816
I'm making progress... I should have this done with another few days work. My problem now is my own compulsive need to clean everything. It's slowing me way down.

These next two picture show my progress to date.

MercProgress1.jpg

MercProgress2.jpg

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #817
I'm much further along than my last two pictures but my compulsive need to clean (and plate) is my constant nemesis. I'm beginning to question if the result is worth the effort. If I don't keep after the cleaning once the engine is back in the car and running, it will all just revert to grease and grime anyway. I'd rather drive it than clean it. What's a mother to do? :unsure:

Spent over two hours this morning cleaning and sand blasting parts. Here's a photo of 6 brackets ready to go into the degreasing tank (@ just shy of 200 f) the black arrows (red background caused me to switch arrow colors) are pointing to the rubber bumpers that I don't know will fair too well in a 200 degree bath of degreaser. I guess I'm about to find out. :)

MercBrkts copy.jpg

More pictures after the plating, but that won't be until later tonight.

·
Registered
1979 450SL UK spec
1,606 Posts
I saw you already plated the throttle brackets at the back of the engine, it seems like the plastic bushes made it through the process.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #819
I saw you already plated the throttle brackets at the back of the engine, it seems like the plastic bushes made it through the process.
I plated them last year and the bushings were removable... not so with the rubber in this years crop of brackets, so I'll need to dunk them rubber and all.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #820
The plating process proved to be a bit of a problem. I couldn't get the mixtures right for some reason. After several attempts... and the need to sand blast some parts back down to bare metal because the plating came out horrible... I finally got it right.

First step after sand blasting is the degreaser tank. The degreaser is heated to min 170 f. and the part to be plated is soaked for 5 minutes.
MercZincChromateDegrease.jpg

After a thorough rinse in distilled water after the part leaves the degreaser, it's into the plating tank for 20 minutes.
MercZincChromatePlatingTank.jpg

From the plating tank the part gets another rinse in distilled water and then into the Chromate tank for about 15 seconds. The longer you leave it in the chromate tank the darker it gets and l prefer my chromate conversion coat to be on the light side. Some guys like it so dark that it looks like paint to me... I want to see the Iridescence in my chromate finish.
MercChromateTank.jpg

And here's the finished product.
MercZincChromate3.jpg

Just in case anybody is interested... here's my entire plating setup. Total cost for everything was between $300 and $400 including all the chemicals and heaters and power supply, etc.. a little on the expensive side but the results are priceless.
MercPlatingStation1.jpg

801 - 820 of 828 Posts