Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

681 - 700 of 717 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,515 Posts
Yes, the deck on the drivers side was resurfaced but I don't know by how much. I can't imagine it being more than 0.010 or so. Putting the front cover on before the head should eliminate any variance created by resurfacing the deck. The head gasket will compress by far more than the skim cut on the deck.

Interesting side note: I have a record of all the thrust washer sizes on both sides. It will be interesting to see if the thrust washer sizes on the drivers side need to be adjusted to bring the drivers side valve clearance alignment to nominal.
I texted you

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #683
@roncallo stopped by today and he brought his little dog with him.

For some reason John thought his dog sitting on my block would make a good picture... he was right.
I wonder what the dog was thinking? By the look on his face I'd say it was "WTF am I doing sitting on an engine"?
Post your thoughts on what you think that look meant.

MercFrenchDogStandingOnaGermanBlock.jpg

Then it was Johns turn... but he couldn't fit, so he gave it a pat on the back.

MercJohnPetsMyBlock.jpg

I am extremely fortunate to have met John and been the recipient of his rock solid advice.

Thank you John. (And thank you for not letting your dog piss on my garage floor). :D

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,708 Posts
What's the problem? Crap in the fuel intake. Well only if you think it will help.:D

·
Premium Member
10,515 Posts
@roncallo stopped by today and he brought his little dog with him.

For some reason John thought his dog sitting on my block would make a good picture... he was right.
I wonder what the dog was thinking? By the look on his face I'd say it was "WTF am I doing sitting on an engine"?
Post your thoughts on what you think that look meant.

View attachment 2644534

Then it was Johns turn... but he couldn't fit, so he gave it a pat on the back.

View attachment 2644535

I am extremely fortunate to have met John and been the recipient of his rock solid advice.

Thank you John. (And thank you for not letting your dog piss on my garage floor). :D
Pepe is thinking he approves of the double row timing chain.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #686
Good one. :D

bTw... heads are off and the new head gaskets arrive Saturday. But I've been thinking... always a bad sign... these head bolts have been torqued, removed, torqued again, removed, torqued again, removed and now will be torqued again when I put the heads back on. At what point do the head bolts become compromised?

·
Premium Member
10,515 Posts
Good one. :D

bTw... heads are off and the new head gaskets arrive Saturday. But I've been thinking... always a bad sign... these head bolts have been torqued, removed, torqued again, removed, torqued again, removed and now will be torqued again when I put the heads back on. At what point do the head bolts become compromised?
Check the manual to see if these a stretch bolts. If they are the manual will give a max length for reuse. I don't believe the head bolts are, but the flywheel bolt definitely are at least on the 5.6 engine.

·
Registered
1985 380 SL
131 Posts
SInce these bolts use a torque limit as long as none have ever been over tightened they can be re-used indefinitely so long as there is no damage or wear. The torque value specifed ensures that the bolt stays well within its stress limits. Tightening to an angle rotation spec puts a bolt very near its elastic limit, these will generally either be replaced each time or will have an inspection spec.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
Check the manual to see if these a stretch bolts. If they are the manual will give a max length for reuse. I don't believe the head bolts are, but the flywheel bolt definitely are at least on the 5.6 engine.
The torque spec is 60 nm (44.2 ft lbs.). I'm guessing that isn't all that much in the land of head bolts and is not likely to "stretch" the bolt at all.
I guess I'm just getting a little gun shy since I snapped one of the TimeSerts on my last go around and had to replace it with a BigSert.
These damn AluSil blocks are a PITA and I'll be very happy once the heads are back on and torqued... hopefully for the last time..

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
SInce these bolts use a torque limit as long as none have ever been over tightened they can be re-used indefinitely so long as there is no damage or wear. The torque value specifed ensures that the bolt stays well within its stress limits. Tightening to an angle rotation spec puts a bolt very near its elastic limit, these will generally either be replaced each time or will have an inspection spec.
Thanks for that information.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
@roncallo With the heads off, the front cover went right on with no problem.
In the picture I indicated the point where the front cover meets the drivers side deck (red arrows).

I used a feeler gauge to measure the amount the machine shop shaved the drivers side deck.
A .011 gauge is a bit too much and a .008 feels almost perfect (as far as I can tell), therefore I must assume the machine shop shaved .010 off the deck after inserting the sleeve in #6.
I'm not going to worry about it... the head gasket will compress more that than.

MercFrontCoverToDeck copy.jpg

Here's the damage to the head gasket that resulted from trying to slide the front cover between the head gasket and the head with the head in place. The manual says to grease the head gasket in the area around the chain cavity. Now I know why. Pinch! Live and learn.

MercHeadGasketPinch.jpg

·
Registered
'72 450SL, 107.044-12-000422
282 Posts
He looks a little irritated- maybe because the front cover isn’t on. You need to have him back now that it’s on to see if he approves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #693
He looks a little irritated- maybe because the front cover isn’t on. You need to have him back now that it’s on to see if he approves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't... he's leaving tomorrow morning. I'm going to miss that little fella.... and the dog too. :)

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #694
I can find zero information on replacing the oil pump in my engine. I don't need to replace it but I do need to reinstall it and I'm having difficulty figuring out how to install the oil pump chain tensioner. Anybody ever do this before?

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #695
Just in case anyone else has questions about mounting the oil pump... I was worrying over nothing, the oil pump installation was way easier than I imagined.

First... If the engine is on an engine stand turn the engine over so the crank is on the top. It is much easier to mount the oil pump (and chain) that way.
Next... Put the steel spring chain tensioner in place... there is no way to get it in after the chain is on.
Next.. Route the chain around the sprocket on the crank. Its made easier because gravity keeps the chain from catching on the teeth of the crank sprocket.
Next... Put the oil pump into position and engage the end of the chain that is on the tensioner side, approx half way around the oil pump sprocket.
Next... engage the other end on the chain as far around the oil pump sprocket as you can. Don't worry that it doesn't meet the other end of the chain yet. That comes in the next step.
Next... With one hand, press the section of chain that is against the chain guide and compress the chain guide tensioner spring as far as you can toward the outside of the block.
Next ... While compressing the chain tensioner spring as far as it will go you will be able to move the chain tensioner side of the chain one or two teeth on the oil pump sprocket to meet the other end.
Note: You will not be able to move the end of chain that is opposite the chain guide because by now it is engaged with the crank sprocket.
Next... Install the Master link, plate and clip. Done.

The following photos should provide a visual reference.

A view of the chain, the chain tensioner, the oil pump sprocket and the crank sprocket.
Notice that I did not yet finalize the installation of the master link (about 2:00 O:clock on the oil pump sprocket.
MercOilPump1.jpg

A closeup view of the chain tensioner spring and the chain guide.
MercOilPump2.jpg

The chain tensioner, guide and crank sprocket shown from a different point of view.
MercOilPump3.jpg

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #696
Screwed up again. I was doing a final cleaning on the inside of the front cover in prep for final install but I didn't realize that the cleaner I was using was eating the new paint on the front. I just finished sandblasting the front down to bare metal and I'm re-masking in prep for re-spray. What an idiot. Cleaner/solvent 1-0-1... check on an inconspicuous area. Doh!

They say that perfection is the enemy of progress... I'd add idiocy to the list of enemies of progress.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 1975 280C
185 Posts
They say that perfection is the enemy of progress... I'd add idiocy to the list of enemies of progress.

Yeah, and we all get that idiot moment now and then....

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,345 Posts
Screwed up again. I was doing a final cleaning on the inside of the front cover in prep for final install but I didn't realize that the cleaner I was using was eating the new paint on the front. I just finished sandblasting the front down to bare metal and I'm re-masking in prep for re-spray. What an idiot. Cleaner/solvent 1-0-1... check on an inconspicuous area. Doh!

"Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain"

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
557 Posts
I had to laugh at Pepe giving you "the look" like "What the..is he doing now?" Your engine is looking like an engine again. You're almost there!

681 - 700 of 717 Posts