Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

521 - 540 of 544 Posts

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #521
Wow. Great set up!
It's homemade, I wanted something big enough to fit 4 rims at the same time, but big powder coat ovens are expensive... so I made my own. I bought the sheet metal, angle iron and Rock Wool insulation from Home Depot. The casters came from Harbor Freight, The control is from China ($25 bucks) and the heating element is from a kitchen stove. I did need to spend some money for the hi-temperature fan though. It might not have even been necessary but I read a lot about the need for even heat so I sprung. .

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #522 (Edited)
The 8.99mm ball broach arrived today and it doesn't slide easily thru the valve guides... in fact it doesn't slide thru at all using just had pressure. It makes it almost all the way on some and partially thru on others. I'm setting up to use the air hammer now. I'll try to video it.

Update: there wasn't really anything worth videoing. I didn't even need the air hammer... a small mallet was all that was needed to knock the ball broach thru with only moderate resistance. As might be expected the broach went thru the one valve guide I reamed with the 9mm reamer with very little effort.

Later tonight I'll install the new valve guides in the other head... that might be worth a video.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #523
I made a video last night of installing the new valve guides and using the 8.99mm ball broach but it was so bad I didn't post it. The camera fell 4 times which is lame. I'll try to edit the video so it doesn't show the 4 camera falls and all the long pauses that resulted. The video is almost 10 minutes long... I should be able to nock it down to 5 and even add some text comments.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #524
Well... I decided the video was so lame it was funny, so I left the camera falls in and added some commentary in the form of captions. I don't know if the captions will automatically show up or if you need to click on the CC (closed caption) option. I can see the captions when I run the video myself but I know nothing about making YouTube videos.
Enjoy my feeble attempt at making an interesting video. I'm new a this. https://youtu.be/SOxuXX25iJU

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #526
That's me subscribed!
Yes... I get email notifications when someone subscribes. Believe it or not I had one guy who subscribed and left a coment before I even put the link in the forum. There may be trolls out there who simply subscribe in order to get their names out there.
Did the captions show up automatically or did you need to click the cc button?
I noticed I spelled valve wrong on one of he captions... I'll need to figure out how to change that.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #529 (Edited)
What does the red paint on the valve springs mean? I'm putting the heads back together and I noticed the red paint which seams to be on all the large outside valve springs but not the smaller inside valve springs. Is there a reason for the red paint?

Update: the small inner springs have red paint on them also.

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
516 Posts
What does the red paint on the valve springs mean? I'm putting the heads back together and I noticed the red paint which seams to be on all the large outside valve springs but not the smaller inside valve springs. Is there a reason for the red paint?

Update: the small inner springs have red paint on them also.
Perhaps they are rosey red from having "spring fever". ;)

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #532
Finished putting the right side head back together. New valve guides, new valve seals, valves hand lapped.
The manual has a note about putting the large valve springs in with the tight coil facing the head. I couldn't find any difference in the coil tightness so I put the springs in the way I took them out.
I won't put the cam followers and thrust washers in until the heads are mounted and the timing chain installed.

MercRightSideHeadDone.jpg

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,196 Posts
I won't put the cam followers and thrust washers in until the heads are mounted and the timing chain installed.
It will be a lot easier to do that on the bench. Your going to have a shit ton of screwing around with washer thickness. You will probably be placing 2 orders to MB for different size shims before you get ti right.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #534
It will be a lot easier to do that on the bench. Your going to have a shit ton of screwing around with washer thickness. You will probably be placing 2 orders to MB for different size shims before you get ti right.
I thought of that but then there is the note in the service manual about cranking the engine over to get oil into the hydraulic compensators. I figured I'd build a test stand to mount the engine on before putting it back in the car. I don't know that I'll actually run it on the test stand (I probably will) but I'll definately crank it over to build oil pressure for selecting the proper thrust washers.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I thought of that but then there is the note in the service manual about cranking the engine over to get oil into the hydraulic compensators. I figured I'd build a test stand to mount the engine on before putting it back in the car. I don't know that I'll actually run it on the test stand (I probably will) but I'll definately crank it over to build oil pressure for selecting the proper thrust washers.
Doing it in an engine stand should be just as easy. You definitely want to rough it in without bending over the fender. I've been considering building an engine test stand myself. Its one of the other things I have no room for.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #536
Doing it in an engine stand should be just as easy. You definitely want to rough it in without bending over the fender. I've been considering building an engine test stand myself. Its one of the other things I have no room for.
I don't have the room either... looks like I'll need to build another room.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #537
There is an entry in my service manual at the top of page 05.7-250/3 that has me confused.
Step 9 Insert valve spring with tight coil facing cylinder head.
I can't detect any variations in the coils that would designate orientation. What is meant by "tight coil" and how does one identify it?

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
There is an entry in my service manual at the top of page 05.7-250/3 that has me confused.
Step 9 Insert valve spring with tight coil facing cylinder head.
I can't detect any variations in the coils that would designate orientation. What is meant by "tight coil" and how does one identify it?
These are suspension springs but same idea. The left two springs have the tight coils on the bottom. The right two springs have the tight coils on the top. These are called progressive rate springs. The tighter coils go to the stationary side (head side in your case) to minimize the moving mass.

If you cant detect any close coils then you don't have them and you can put them on any way.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #539
These are suspension springs but same idea. The left two springs have the tight coils on the bottom. The right two springs have the tight coils on the top. These are called progressive rate springs. The tighter coils go to the stationary side (head side in your case) to minimize the moving mass.

If you cant detect any close coils then you don't have them and you can put them on any way.
Here's the coil. I can't detect any difference top or bottom. The camera is distorting the image slightly but even at that there is little or no difference.

MercValveSpring.jpg

521 - 540 of 544 Posts