Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #181

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,870 Posts
I looked into that but the cost is way too high. I already have serviceable pistons... they may not be perfect but they're good enough for what I need. :)
Understand, You only need 1 or two. When I was buying them you had to buy a set of 8 minimum. I did a 4 cyl and had four left over.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Well, here it is Dec14th, 2 months after bringing my block to the machine shop and I finally got the call letting me know the block is done. I haven't picked it up yet so no pictures but I'm anxious to see the result myself. This may be the first time a 380 block has had a sleeve inserted... maybe not, but I've never heard of one before.

bTw... the owner of the machine shop told me the block has been done for a while but he just forgot to call me. I applaud his honesty. (y)

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,260 Posts
Well, here it is Dec14th, 2 months after bringing my block to the machine shop and I finally got the call letting me know the block is done. I haven't picked it up yet so no pictures but I'm anxious to see the result myself. This may be the first time a 380 block has had a sleeve inserted... maybe not, but I've never heard of one before.

bTw... the owner of the machine shop told me the block has been done for a while but he just forgot to call me. I applaud his honesty. (y)
I suggest hitting the eggnog and leaving the head until the New Year unless you have a real itch. and you've done all your shopping :)

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
471 Posts
Well it's good to hear you're still alive and well. I log in every day to see if Jyuma has made any progress. Good to hear you haven't given up. Hope your block repair is good Christmas present! Merry Christmas! :)

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Well it's good to hear you're still alive and well. I log in every day to see if Jyuma has made any progress. Good to hear you haven't given up. Hope your block repair is good Christmas present! Merry Christmas! :)
I'm not known for giving up, but if anything can get me to toss in the towel it would probably be this engine. :D

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,392 Posts
Looks like I missed this epic drama as well, I look forward to a happy ending Jyuma 😁

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Picked up the block today... to say I was somewhat annoyed would be putting it mildly.
I was quoted $400... the bill was for $537.
I was told the block would be cleaned in their washing machine... it wasn't.

On the bright side... #6 looks perfect and they trued up the other 7 cylinders. Of course I'll need to reapply the AN30 treatment to the other 7 but that's no problem.
When all is said and done, I'm glad to have the block back with #6 fixed.
Now if I can find a drill template so I can insert the heli-coils I'll get back to chewing on that bone.

Here's a picture of #6. Quite a difference from before.

MercBlockSleeveNbr6.jpg

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
That sleeve looks good. (y)
Yes... I'm very happy with the way if came out. There's plenty of meat on the block to accept the .093 sleeve. I'm not sure why people think you can't sleeve these engines.
If I could get new pistons I might have been tempted to sleeve all the cylinders but pistons for this engine are rare as hens teeth and custom pistons are too expensive.
I will need to hone the non-sleeved cylinders with AN-30 to restore the matte finish but that's a simple and very quick process. I'll post before and after pictures.

·
Registered
1985 380 SL
86 Posts
Did the machine shop provide you with any numbers on the other 7 cylinders before/after they "trued them up"? It looks like they may have just brushed them.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Did the machine shop provide you with any numbers on the other 7 cylinders before/after they "trued them up"? It looks like they may have just brushed them.
Poor choice of words on my part... they gave them a light hone. They did say the bores were less than perfect but did not give me the exact numbers as I had indicated I didn't want them to do any work on the other 7. I have all the pistons numbered and will return them to the same holes they came from (with new rings)... that will have to do.

#6 was bored and honed to match the new (used eBay special) piston I provided. They indicated that the new (used) piston had some wear but was usable. The original #6 piston was trashed beyond repair.

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
469 Posts
I've been wondering how things have been going as well. As Aussiemerc said, it looks like the sleeving procedure went very well. It's a shame that new pistons are so hard (impossible) to come by.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,220 Posts
Poor choice of words on my part... they gave them a light hone. They did say the bores were less than perfect but did not give me the exact numbers as I had indicated I didn't want them to do any work on the other 7. I have all the pistons numbered and will return them to the same holes they came from (with new rings)... that will have to do.

#6 was bored and honed to match the new (used eBay special) piston I provided. They indicated that the new (used) piston had some wear but was usable. The original #6 piston was trashed beyond repair.
“A light hone”. Did that remove any significant amount of metal that would cause the old pistons to seal worse than before the “light hone”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
“A light hone”. Did that remove any significant amount of metal that would cause the old pistons to seal worse than before the “light hone”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Without measuring I can't tell for certain but by the look of the cylinders they removed virtually nothing. Of course tenths are tough to see but it looks like all they did was put a light crosshatch on the walls... something they shouldn't have done... but I'll restore the matte finish using the AN-30 (which does not increase the bore size) and live with the results.

If this was going to be my daily driver I'd be more concerned but for top down Sunday drives and the occasional trip to a gtg, I'll live with whatever results I get.
Next up... time serts or heli-coils (whatever is cheaper), rings, bearings, valves and reassembly. And of course... lots and lots of pictures.

#6 Before sleeve
MercNbr6BeforeHone.jpg

#6 After sleeve
MercBlockSleeveNbr6.jpg

Block on the engine stand awaiting Time Sert (or Heli-coil) work.
MercBlockOnEngineStand.jpg

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Dumb question number... hmm, I lost count.
What size rod and main bearings do I order? Being the original owner I know that they've never been replaced before but how do I know for sure what size to order? Do I measure the crank journals or do I simply order standard size for a 116.962 engine?

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Next dumb question.
When drilling the block for heli-coils or Time Serts... I would assume 99% or what the drill will be removing is the original thread. In that case why wouldn't the drill be self-centering?
Same thing with the 5 <2% of perpendicular cam tower/head bolts. How could the drill do anything but follow the existing hole?
Just wondering.

181 - 200 of 225 Posts