Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'97 C200 Blue
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic/rubber seal between my front fender and the sill trim which runs along the side under the doors needs replacing, any one know what's involved in the removal of the plastic sill? Will I need to remove it completely? There seems to be a number of trim buttons underneath the car surrounded by a rubber washer, they have a slot in them, do you just turn them with a screwdriver to remove? By the way my car is a '97 C200 Classic update.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
'97 C200 Blue
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope this image explains what I'm talking about, this is of the front right side of vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,768 Posts
Hmm, must have been a design change between yours and mine. If I was guessing though, I'd say, yes, you will need to remove the clips from underneath. Then, if its anything like my car, the top will pop loose. Use a plastic wedge to pry between body and rocker moulding, it should come off. It most likely has pins on the top that go into a plastic insert that is in the body. Dont be suprised if you break a few though, as the older they are, the more brittle they are. When you put it back, if you are lucky you may only need to replace a few of the plastic inserts that go in the body. If the pins break though, you will need to order the whole panel most likely as I was told the pins only come with the part. But yours may be different. Can you take a photo of what it looks like in the door jam?

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Here's a picture from when I replaced my fender. I'd remove the screws from the mid part of the door forward then as it says above pry the clips gently until the trim pops lose. That should give you enough room to replace the black strip. That's also held in by clips. All these parts are brittle. You should attempt this in a warm garage or wait for a warm day, you wont risk any parts cracking from the cold.

·
Banned
2008 C200K (W204) & 1998 SL500 (R129) Imperial Red
3,373 Posts
Whoh... Slow down there!

No need to remove the whole fender.. That strip of rubber is held on by 3 pop clips.. Use a tool (plastic) to just break off the old rubber. It will reveal the 3 clips, you simply pull them out.

Pop the new trim piece right in after that, just give that area a good clean while it is exposed.

·
Registered
2000 c230 Kompressor (Totalled 5/2012)
238 Posts
I've removed that whole piece on my car before. There was one really big clip (on the bottom of the car) that was extremely difficult to get back in. What I ended up doing was jacking up the car and putting a block of wood between the push-clip and the garage floor. Then I slowly lowered the car down and used the car's own weight to get it back in. It worked very well :)

·
Registered
'97 C200 Blue
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although I still have not got around to replacing the seals after all this time, the part numbers I ordered were -
Front seals -
A 202 698 41 30
A 202 698 42 30
Rear seals -
A 202 698 45 30
A 202 698 46 30

I hope these are the correct ones as I think it's a bit late now to return them.
Hope this helps.
Glenn

·
Registered
W202, 1995, C200 Sport
178 Posts
Whoh... Slow down there!

No need to remove the whole fender.. That strip of rubber is held on by 3 pop clips.. Use a tool (plastic) to just break off the old rubber. It will reveal the 3 clips, you simply pull them out.

Pop the new trim piece right in after that, just give that area a good clean while it is exposed.
Hoooooold your hooorses .... :D:D

Q: where can I get a hold of these 3 plastic round-thingys that slides over the three "nipples" that allows the strip to pop into place through the holes in the fender? Now if I just try and pop the strip onto the fender, it just falls off.. so I need these three rubber/plastic thingys.. anyone?

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
2 Posts
Thanks a bunch glenn55!

Do the parts you have -- have the clips that are being spoken about? That hold the seals??

Thanks!

·
Registered
'97 C200 Blue
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, just the seals. As I haven't pulled the sill off yet I'm also not sure about the clips being referred to. If anyone has photo's that would be great. Just ordered one of the electronic repair manuals off Ebay hope that will have some more information on the subject.

·
Registered
W202, 1995, C200 Sport
178 Posts
No, just the seals. As I haven't pulled the sill off yet I'm also not sure about the clips being referred to. If anyone has photo's that would be great. Just ordered one of the electronic repair manuals off Ebay hope that will have some more information on the subject.
Here are pics I took this morning.

The trim panel that we are talking about, it's located behind the frontwheel on the left side of the wingarch. (See bottom pic)

Red circle indicates the clips I WANT TO KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY!!!??? :confused::D

·
Registered
'97 C200 Blue
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that we are referring to different parts, the sill trim I'm talking about runs from front to rear under the doors. I think the part you have pictured is called a "Ledge" which has the model designation such as "Classic or Elegance" badge attached to it. Looked up the EPC and it's hard to tell but I think the clips you want are called Fastener Buttons and the part numbers are A 001 988 76 81 (lower part) and A 001 988 80 81 (upper part) but I would double check before ordering. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
W202, 1995, C200 Sport
178 Posts
I think the part you have pictured is called a "Ledge" which has the model designation such as "Classic or Elegance" badge attached to it.
No, the trim part I'm talking about goes a long the line of the bottom line of the door, see my explanation:

Let me Google w202 fastener buttons A 001 988 76 81 quick.. thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'97 C200 Blue
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My vehicle doesn't have that piece of trim, my sill is one piece. See picture on first page. I've got a '97 update C200 Classic Australian delivered car so maybe that's where the difference lies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts