Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Removal of rear springs

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  foolio2 
#1 ·
is it easy to get the rear springs out without the special compressors...?

#2 ·
May I ask you why you want to remove the rear spring? Why not just use floor jack to compress the spring in situ if you want to work on other rear component unless your spring support or spring is broken.

Sahai

#5 ·
you have to remove the rear seat to gain access to the hole in the rear bulkhead so you can loosen the top mounts of the shocks. Once the mounting nuts are removed, you can remove the shocks from the bottom. Only then can you remove the springs. You need to use a proper spring compressor once the shocks are out to remove the springs safely.

Al

#6 ·
Thanks, alydon- But what do you mean by proper spring compressor? Do you need spacial Mercedes spring compressor or you can do it with other one that you can rent from auto part stores. I mean that comes in two piece threaded rods with strong hooks and safety pins. You know what I mean?

Sahai

#8 ·
I don't have any experience in the matter, but I've heard of plenty having success with the auto store rentals, having the MB one is for peace of mind and safety. I think our springs are heavier duty than most... and of course, a compressed spring that comes loose would have a tremendous amount of force... mom always said, "better safe than sorry"

#9 · (Edited)
You can get them out without a special compressor, all you have to do is drop the wheel carriers, I had a local shop do it recently, they took 7 hours to do it becuase they didn't have the special spring compressor.

I did it at home in my garage in 3 hour with the special spring compressor.

Nuff Said?

To clarify and to answer your question, No it's not easy to take the rear springs out without the special spring compressor, and yes it's very easy with the special spring compressor. I rented it for 30 dollars for two weeks and shipping costs. It was worth it. Peachparts has a tool rental forum.

#12 ·
thanks guys for ur input and advice :) this is what i heard from a guy that done this many many times on the w126 :

I have removed several set of rear springs w/o a compressor.
Remove the shocks first..
I would remove the top of the shock first, the the lower 2 17mm bolts. then lower the shock and slide it out of the spring. cut the brake hoses to the caliper, and unbolt the trailing arm link. this will allow the assembly to drop down further.

You will still have the spring tension on the trailing arms. nothing like the front springs.

It would be best to have a jack under the differential when removing the 4 13mm bolts that bolts the Diff mount to the body. then lower the jack, and as the sub frame assembly lowers down the springs will just fall out.

#13 ·
There's a stop on the trailing arm that lodges against the subframe preventing it from dropping down enough to remove the spring. Lowering the subframe allows the spring enough room to remove it.

#17 ·
This will only work for a w126 gen1 SWB. I tried usung their method when I replaced my rear trailing arm bushings. Spring is not even close to coming out on my 86 420sel after dropping only one side of the subframe. You need a compressor on an SEL.

#16 ·
I bought the autozone spring compressor ($35) that goes through the middle of the spring (not the kind that hooks to the outside). It worked great. Took all of 30 minutes to get each spring out including rear seat and shock removal. Just be sure to oil the threaded shaft before each use and take your time. All spring compressors can be dangerous if not respected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.