Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
What is involved in removing the "knee pad" or knee bumper area right under the steering column? I'm 6'2" and like to lean back to get some arm room but my knees bang on the padded area right below the column. I'd like to remove it to see if that helps, but I'm not sure how it comes off. Also, I don't know what that will expose when it's off. Wiring? Anybody know?
Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
1999 SLK230/ 2006 Passat/ 1995 Bronco (Prerunner)
413 Posts
I removed mine the first weekend I bought the car (in Vegas on a road trip). It is "plastic rivit" type attachment, a kind of melted plastic sticking through small holes in the under dash section. All that will be left are I think 6 small holes about 1/2" or smaller......not noticable at all. I am 6'2" also so I wondered if anyone else had done this.

·
Registered
99 slk230 sport
759 Posts
i did and it was such a great thing. this dumb pad is rediculous. even a 5'6" driver would benefit but for us 6'6" its required! i did drive 1000 miles in two days with it still in however. [xx(]

·
Registered
SLK200 '97 nov
478 Posts
hi there, what is this knee pad thingy? is it only for slk32amg only? or does this apply for all slks?

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Look at the bottom of your dash on the driver's side. You'll see a large lump of extra plastic that appears to be stuck on to the lower dash. That's the kneepad.

I'm gonna rip that sucker out one of these days!!! [:(!]

·
Registered
99 slk230 sport
759 Posts
takes 5 min, free, and will make you wonder what the hell they put it there for anyway. i thought i would kep it for resale or in case i have it forever and need those concours points but decided its just worthless so i chucked it!

·
Registered
SLK200 '97 nov
478 Posts
Really? It must be on the models after mine coz I don't have these driver knee pads at all! Is it possible to post a picture? Thanks!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool! You guys are giving me hope! So how'd you remove it, just pull on it? No tools required? I don't want to break anything in the process so any instructions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
I think Tungster could tell you how to remove just about anything in the interior[:0][:0]

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1257794&posts=1&fid=26

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
I'm gonna bump this one to the top, because I want to do it too.

Is it a yank and rip job??? Or does it require somewhat more finesse?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wanna know too, page62. I have a good mind to just get after it, but I'd really like to at least know what to expect when I start hearing ripping and breaking sounds.

·
Registered
99 slk230 sport
759 Posts
just pry the flocker off. it has about 6 rivets that will pull out of the upper moulding. i suggest using a wooden spoon or other pry bar but i just uses me hands. stop lollygagging and just do it boys! [;)]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Instant kneeroom!

I took berk's advice and just ripped it off by hand. You will have to break some plastic attachments, so its not just going to fall off in your hands. I cringed a bit when I heard some breaking, but it was harmless. Like berk said, leaves six holes which aren't really noticeable, but that additional legroom sure is! Thanks boys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts