Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Astral Silver 560SL
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to remove the convertible top lid. I'd like to get it off the car to do some cosmetic work on it. It looks straightforward...4 screws. But the screws aren't budging and I can't see what is behind them.

I've looked throughout "The Manual" and can't find anything specific. I'm afraid to go nuts on the screws because for some reason there are bolts behind them I don't see how I can possibly remove it.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
When I took mine off it came straight off. Maybe someone has used Loctite on the screws?

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,777 Posts
I didn't want to comment because the one I removed was a '72 and like Fotografa's it came right off. Are the nuts painted over or rusted?

·
Registered
1989 Astral Silver 560SL
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't want to comment because the one I removed was a '72 and like Fotografa's it came right off. Are the nuts painted over or rusted?
I got them off. They were just VERY tight. Had to break them buy using screw driver and large vice grip to get leverage. But once i got the screws moving it was easy. I just wanted to make sure before I did something stupid.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts